Which console for 7 yr old?

Posted 7th Oct
Which console would you recommend for a 7 yr old? He’s asked for a Xbox as one of his friends has one and he’s played FIFA 19 on it. He loves playing minecraft on the I pad and loved wii sports and mariokart when he tried a Wii but other than that hasn’t really done much gaming.

I was thinking to get him a Xbox digital pack for about £170 with fifa and minecraft but am having second thoughts and wondered if a switch would be better? It’s probably gonna cost double but seems more age appropriate I think, although I don’t really have a clue which is why I’m asking
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
@gimpster71

"...He’s asked for a Xbox [One?] as one of his friends has one..."

That's all that matters as long as your child's friend is not going to be switching to another console this Christmas.

Check that fact with his/her parent(s) & await a happy child on Christmas morning when he has somebody to share his present.

Also, get Minecraft for the Xbox [One?], & you can get your iPad back.
zworld07/10/2019 11:59

None! Why would you want your little one to go blind so early? Do you not …None! Why would you want your little one to go blind so early? Do you not see kids these days wearing humongous glasses?Wait till he's older.

What are you smoking? Providing you monitor and supervise their daily use of TV and gaming it’s absolutely fine. Also depending on the content they play or watch, can actually help children learn and develop. Like it or not they are growing up to a world where everything will be computer based, so starting early is actually a good thing.
zworld07/10/2019 13:18

I am talking about eyesight, what the hell are you on about? Parental …I am talking about eyesight, what the hell are you on about? Parental control?

I’m saying that your statement is rubbish, their eyesight will be absolutely fine. Especially if you monitor the amount of screen time, which yes that is part of parenting...
27 Comments
None! Why would you want your little one to go blind so early? Do you not see kids these days wearing humongous glasses?
Wait till he's older.
Xbox isn't a bad idea - especially if you get game-pass which would save on costs with purchasing games and opens up a good catalogue - just not personally sure on how "parental controls" work if you want to avoid him playing certain games meant for older users - I assume there would be the option to prevent those titles from being accessed.

The Switch to be fair is the safest option, but more pricey when it comes to games - I don't believe Nintendo offers a subscription similar to Xbox's Game Pass or PlayStations PSNow I think it's called.
I would go with the Xbox and over the switch. As they can be delicate it they drop and break the screen. And is expensive to replace. But on a plus side the switch does have more kid friendly games with mario and Pokémon.
@gimpster71

"...He’s asked for a Xbox [One?] as one of his friends has one..."

That's all that matters as long as your child's friend is not going to be switching to another console this Christmas.

Check that fact with his/her parent(s) & await a happy child on Christmas morning when he has somebody to share his present.

Also, get Minecraft for the Xbox [One?], & you can get your iPad back.

None! Why would you want your little one to go blind so early? Do you not …None! Why would you want your little one to go blind so early? Do you not see kids these days wearing humongous glasses?Wait till he's older.

What are you smoking? Providing you monitor and supervise their daily use of TV and gaming it’s absolutely fine. Also depending on the content they play or watch, can actually help children learn and develop. Like it or not they are growing up to a world where everything will be computer based, so starting early is actually a good thing.
For the record I would buy them a nice cheap secondhand Wii U, and grab them all the best games for cheap
I’m gonna check out parental controls on Xbox a bit more
fanpages07/10/2019 12:19

@gimpster71 "...He’s asked for a Xbox [One?] as one of his friends has o …@gimpster71 "...He’s asked for a Xbox [One?] as one of his friends has one..."That's all that matters as long as your child's friend is not going to be switching to another console this Christmas.Check that fact with his/her parent(s) & await a happy child on Christmas morning when he has somebody to share his present.Also, get Minecraft for the Xbox [One?], & you can get your iPad back.

He has no idea, just wants a Xbox? I’ve seen this xbox bundle and thought it looked ok. Parental controls look good so he can only access age appropriate games and set time limits / only switches on between set times.

Are there any accessories / subscriptions he’d need to play fifa with friends?
JohnnyRoller07/10/2019 12:24

What are you smoking? Providing you monitor and supervise their daily use …What are you smoking? Providing you monitor and supervise their daily use of TV and gaming it’s absolutely fine. Also depending on the content they play or watch, can actually help children learn and develop. Like it or not they are growing up to a world where everything will be computer based, so starting early is actually a good thing.

I am talking about eyesight, what the hell are you on about? Parental control?
zworld07/10/2019 13:18

I am talking about eyesight, what the hell are you on about? Parental …I am talking about eyesight, what the hell are you on about? Parental control?

I’m saying that your statement is rubbish, their eyesight will be absolutely fine. Especially if you monitor the amount of screen time, which yes that is part of parenting...
gimpster7107/10/2019 13:14

He has no idea, just wants a Xbox? I’ve seen this xbox bundle and thought …He has no idea, just wants a Xbox? I’ve seen this xbox bundle and thought it looked ok. Parental controls look good so he can only access age appropriate games and set time limits / only switches on between set times. Are there any accessories / subscriptions he’d need to play fifa with friends?

I’d personally say this one for a tenner extra? Given you get 2 controllers included and the same games as the curry’s package

m.ebay.co.uk/itm…rue
I would recommend a Switch due to the game lineup (Zelda, Pokemon, Mario...) and portability. It seems more suited to someone of that age.

Also the Xbox is nearly end of life as it will be replaced in about a year so the game will start to dry up after that point.
Edited by: "Gormond" 7th Oct

Yes because people never wore humongous glasses in the olden days, what a rediculous comment
If your son wants an xbox and his mates are getting one or already own one then it's gotta be an xbox just buy age appropriate games
My 7 year old will be getting a Switch for his Christmas. He’s Pokemon daft and is my only choice.

We have heaps of electronics in our house. They do not control our kids lives and they are doing just fine.
JohnnyRoller07/10/2019 13:20

I’m saying that your statement is rubbish, their eyesight will be a …I’m saying that your statement is rubbish, their eyesight will be absolutely fine. Especially if you monitor the amount of screen time, which yes that is part of parenting...

Fair enough mate, we'll agree to disagree.
JohnnyRoller07/10/2019 12:24

What are you smoking? Providing you monitor and supervise their daily use …What are you smoking? Providing you monitor and supervise their daily use of TV and gaming it’s absolutely fine. Also depending on the content they play or watch, can actually help children learn and develop. Like it or not they are growing up to a world where everything will be computer based, so starting early is actually a good thing.

what's the probabilty that s/he wears prescription glasses!
my boy (similar age) has recently favoured using a tablet for gaming rather than his Switch
FIFA is a little hit and miss with the Switch. They do not review very well and am I right in saying playing them online there have been issues? I would say though for that age Nintendo is always the ideal choice.

On the otherhand, Xbox One is the best value with subscriptions to Game Pass and EA Access meaning you basically never have to buy any games ever again. Minecraft is by Microsoft so you come across extras like custom Xbox consoles and controllers. Xbox achievements are also the envy of the gaming world and people enjoy building up their gamerscore.

Also worth noting the new Xbox is coming holiday 2020 but the Xbox One All-Digital Edition is very good value for money what it is bundled with and cheaper than the Switch.

That white stuff you sniffing isn’t sugar man(annoyed)
deleted1410297

@gimpster71 "...He’s asked for a Xbox [One?] as one of his friends has o …@gimpster71 "...He’s asked for a Xbox [One?] as one of his friends has one..."That's all that matters as long as your child's friend is not going to be switching to another console this Christmas.Check that fact with his/her parent(s) & await a happy child on Christmas morning when he has somebody to share his present.Also, get Minecraft for the Xbox [One?], & you can get your iPad back.

teach your kid not to follow other kids and base their decisions on those of a friend. What kind of sheep nonsense is that.

But xbox is the place to be.
Don't bother with Switch if they want to play FIFA and Minecraft with friends. FIFA 20 with Switch is just a legacy edition running on Ignite engine (in simpler terms, it is nowhere near as good in terms of graphics and features like Volta). Switch is a great console for kids, but if they aren't going to be playing Mario, Pokémon, Splatoon, Arms, etc then there isn't much point.
My son loves minecraft and I got him an xbox and he thinks its great. He has a gamepass and plays Roblox games too which the kids like.

He has only got a couple of games second hand for cheap from cex as the gamepass has all the games he needs.

I got him a minecraft controller and a charging station.

deleted141029707/10/2019 17:56

teach your kid not to follow other kids and base their decisions on those …teach your kid not to follow other kids and base their decisions on those of a friend. What kind of sheep nonsense is that.But xbox is the place to be.

It isn't anything to do with sheep, or nonsense.

Everybody is an individual. They teach you that at school (by making you wear the same uniform).

There is a difference between following somebody & deciding on the same outcome on its own merits.
fanpages07/10/2019 20:59

It isn't anything to do with sheep, or nonsense. Everybody is an … It isn't anything to do with sheep, or nonsense. Everybody is an individual. They teach you that at school (by making you wear the same uniform). There is a difference between following somebody & deciding on the same outcome on its own merits.

Clearly upset they didn’t pick a Japanese or German offering.
Get an Xbox one, recommend you get an Xbox 1s as there is a lot of bundles for them, minecraft where you get a digital code and the console it a dirt block, or you could get a standard one with multiple games. Would recommend a bundle from curry’s pc world as they come with 1 month of NowTV 3months of Xbox live and more depending on what you would like.

Hope this helps(y)
Also don’t get a switch, I have one and the joycons break easy, I sent mine off to repair because they are drifting they take 8-10 working days to start working on it and ages to actually repair it and their customer service is poor.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants