Which dead or dying retailer do you want to see bounceback?

Posted 6th NovEdited by:"minifig290"
Over the last two decades we have lost many notable and loved retailers and many of them closed due to increased competition with online retailers or poor decisions buy their owners. These are some of the most notable loses to our high streets, shopping centres and retail parks in the last decade:

- Woolworths (Woolies) Entered Administration 26th November 2008, last trading date 6th January 2009 (Online store brought and merged with Very.com in June 2015)
- British Home Stores (BHS) Entered Administration 25th April 2016, last trading date 28th August 2016, chain sold and rebranded The British Home Stores in September 2016 now operating online only
- Toys R Us Entered Administration 28th February 2018, last trading date 24th April 2018. Toys R Us in Germany, Switzerland and Austria brought by Smyths Toys
- Gamestation Entered Administration 8th March 2012, sold to GAME in 2007 but in 2012 both GAME and Gamestation where sold to a owner who decided to merge the two together)
- Poundworld Entered Administration 5th July 2018, last trading date 10th August 2018. Founder Chris Evans opened a new chain One Below in 2019 in some old Poundworld stores
- Staples (Office Outlet) Entered Administration 2nd April 2019, last trading date 26th July 2019 (Staples entered administration in November 2016 and sold its UK arm to Hilco where they rebranded it into Office Outlet but sadly this failed)
- Borders Entered Administration 26th November 2009, last trading date 22nd December 2009, Company dissolved August 2011
- Maplin Entered Administration 28th February 2018, late trading date 29th July 2018, many of their stores remain vacant today, but they still remain virtually in the form of maplin.co.uk/
- TESCO Direct & TESCO Homeplus so we all know TESCO still remain going strong but two of their homeware focused sides have failed, TESCO Home Plus closed all store in 2014 after the chain went through a restructuring and TESCO Direct shut in summer 2018 and now TESCOs website only has few home goods and only Extra and larger superstores sell homeware but not as much as Homeplus or Direct
- Thomas Cook Entered Administration 23rd September 2019, last trading date 23rd September 2019 (All 555 UK stores sold to Hays Travel saving thousands of jobs, these stores are being converted to Hays Travel stores)
- Blockbuster Entered Administration 28th November 2013, last trading date 20th December 2013 (Before January 2013 they had 528 UK stores by 28th November they only had 204 stores)
- Comet Entered Administration 17th November 2012, last trading date 18th December 2012 (November 2011 the chain was sold for £2 to OpCapita, a restructuring firm)

Also many UK retailers are struggling and are or were on the verge of potentially being victims of the retails Grim Reaper, such as:

House Of Frasier (Brought by Mike Ashley's Sports Direct, only a few of their 59 stores closed)
Debenhams (Set to close around 50 stores, such as Wolverhampton and Wimbledon)
His Masters Voice (HMV) (Brought by Sunrise Records, with a few closures such as Hereford and Oxford Street but some reopened such as Merry Hill and Cribbs Causeway)
Bonmarche (On its deathbed)
Mothercare (On its deathbed, set to close all 79 UK stores)
Homebase (Sold for £1 to Hilco in 2018 after Australian DIY chain Bunnings back out, since then many stores have closed, though the chain bought The Bathstore this summer out of administration)
Marks & Spencers (M&S) (Closing many High Street stores, their food sales beat their clothing and homeware sales but still are not that great)

So which retailer do you want to see again in its former glory or do you think these companies put themselves in their graves and should stay there. Also which retailer would you be the most upset to lose. Me personally I'd hate to loose B&M Bargains but I think they have a good few years on them seen as they seem to open new stores weekly.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Tesco direct!
I liked to see Tesco Direct come back with clubcard points worth double-quadruple. So that @Chanchi32 can post up deals.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 7th Nov
I'd like there to be a shop on every high street with large placards in the windows berating people who cannot grasp the difference between loose and lose.
Edited by: "Make.Amazon.Great.Again" 7th Nov
63 Comments
99p shop I would want to return, the one near us had some banging deals , I would only wish to see a retailer taken over not go bust due to job losses
the following need a shake
boots owned by venture capitalists
Sports Direct owned Mike Ashley...
currys/ Dixons ...although I Think they will go under and that will be it ....too many superstores
Woolworths was my favourite shop as a youngster. Not saying they should come back though, or deserve to. It'd be nice if they were still around ...... but they're not! The End
jco8306/11/2019 23:51

Woolworths was my favourite shop as a youngster. Not saying they should …Woolworths was my favourite shop as a youngster. Not saying they should come back though, or deserve to. It'd be nice if they were still around ...... but they're not! The End

Didn't Woolworths become Very in a round about sort of a way.?
Honestly, out of your list above there aren't that many that I really miss. Wilkinsons has become a better store than Woolworths was, and Poundworld isn't really missed seeing as most places that had one are served by a Poundland, and The Entertainer and Smyths mean that Toys R Us was pretty much made irrelevant. The only one that I sort of miss is Maplins as it was sometimes good for picking something up instantly if you were passing one as opposed to buying a product online from Amazon or eBay and waiting for delivery and it was also good for a browse. It's just a pity that the prices in there weren't always so great as to actually make you want to buy much from there.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 6th Nov
Maverick7706/11/2019 23:53

Not really, Very originated from Littlewoods. The owners of Very, Shop Direct group, did acquire the name Woolworths after the high street shops went bust in 2009 and used it for an online store until they closed it in 2015.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 6th Nov
Maverick7706/11/2019 23:53

Very already existed I believe Shop Direct (owners of Very) bought the rights to the Woolworths name, ran a website for a little while, then closed it. And they keep hold of the Woolworths name without using it so no one else can I remember reading a while back that the old owner or someone would like to use the Woolworths name again if they could get the name back
OneBelow I was glad to see back (Poundworld resurrected) but then I do love my pound shops.

Watt Brothers going into administration is a sad one, their flagship store had been in Glasgow for over a century and I've bought some great bargains from there.

Edit: Turns out Sauchiehall Street is still open, and they're holding talks with potential buyers.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 9th Nov
No retailers. Why you may ask?

The retailers that are in trouble are mismanaged and have failed to adapt to customers changing needs.

Most of those that are in trouble have also failed to embrace digital retail, out of town retail and many other current trends.
jco8306/11/2019 23:57

Very already existed I believe Shop Direct (owners of Very) …Very already existed I believe Shop Direct (owners of Very) bought the rights to the Woolworths name, ran a website for a little while, then closed it. And they keep hold of the Woolworths name without using it so no one else can I remember reading a while back that the old owner or someone would like to use the Woolworths name again if they could get the name back

They only wanted the ladybird name and other brands that Woolworths had, part of the condition of that purchase was that they continued to run the Woolworths site for a while, as soon as that expired they closed it.
I liked to see Tesco Direct come back with clubcard points worth double-quadruple. So that @Chanchi32 can post up deals.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 7th Nov
Tesco direct!
Jessops
Habitat
Comet
Brantano
Barratts
Clintons
Birthdays
Blue Inc.
Music Zone
MFI
TJ Hughes
Phones 4u
La Senza

...amongst others...
fanpages07/11/2019 00:43

JessopsHabitatCometBrantanoBarrattsClintonsBirthdaysBlue Inc.Music …JessopsHabitatCometBrantanoBarrattsClintonsBirthdaysBlue Inc.Music ZoneMFITJ HughesPhones 4uLa Senza...amongst others...

Clintons? They are still around
Edited by: "jambone" 7th Nov
There's not any there I miss and feel many of them went bust because they weren't offering a good service. I made the mistake of buying a TV from Comet not long before they went bust and it was not very pleasant, they alternated between trying to force my arm into buying an extended warranty or buying an unnecessary hdmi cable to the point I was going to walk away. I vowed I'd never use them again anyway they were that bad, Game are similar and won't ever use them again either.

The one high street shop I'd definitely miss would be Tisos who don't have great prices compared to online but they offer a good service which I prefer to buying online.
I applied for a job earlier in the week with DHL, turns out is was working at a Homebase distribution centre. Declined the interview, my bet is they will be gone within a year.
666FU07/11/2019 03:13

I applied for a job earlier in the week with DHL, turns out is was working …I applied for a job earlier in the week with DHL, turns out is was working at a Homebase distribution centre. Declined the interview, my bet is they will be gone within a year.

DHL is the world's largest logistic company, they should survive the next 12 months without your input.

However

WH Smith.

I fail to understand how they are still trading.

They tick no boxes on any front. On the very few occasions I have stepped foot into one of their establishemnts it's been a drab experience.

Laura Ashley

There's a store in my local high street. I very rarely see anyone in the shop.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 7th Nov
Thomas cook for me personally.... Had some great holidays and there prices were always over a hundred quid cheaper
C&A

Phones4U cos they owe me £800+
HMV 🐶
Athena, if not just for some great posters of lovely looking girls, obviously all 18 years plus.
I don’t want to lose Game, CEX, Regenerate or HMV from my high street. I’d like Gamestation back though as they were good alternative to Game. What about the failed sports shops, there was one as a teenager I used to frequent, now long gone but can’t remember the name. I also used to enjoy shopping in two other record stores, one was an indy I think - Hitman music, the other .. would it have been, no can’t remember.

JessopsHabitatCometBrantanoBarrattsClintonsBirthdaysBlue Inc.Music …JessopsHabitatCometBrantanoBarrattsClintonsBirthdaysBlue Inc.Music ZoneMFITJ HughesPhones 4uLa Senza...amongst others...

In my local area we still have a TJ Hughes, Jessops, Habitat (within a large Sainsbury’s store), and several branches of Clintons.
Maplin. It was useful getting parts which were required same day, which isn't possible online in my area.
OllieSt07/11/2019 04:23

DHL is the world's largest logistic company, they should survive the next …DHL is the world's largest logistic company, they should survive the next 12 months without your input.

Huh? When Homebase shuts down do you think DHL will keep paying the staff the have contracted to Homebase sites? Yes they could move you to another site but they have no obligation to do so.
Mac Fisheries, there might be lots of cheaper British fish available, eat locally, I hope.
Saves the planet too, as they wouldn't have to use so much fuel to ship them away; and eat less red meat.
I'd like there to be a shop on every high street with large placards in the windows berating people who cannot grasp the difference between loose and lose.
Edited by: "Make.Amazon.Great.Again" 7th Nov
I thought Woolworths went online, now looks like online but not UK.

I would like to see Tesco entertainment back, they had good deals often on games and so many were posted here, unlike the other ones so not sure what more they could have done.

Phones4u and dailaphone I would like to see back because they had good deals, and you place the order then after you place the order you tell them you want to cancel as you found it cheaper and they send you a cheque for £50.
There was a music shop in Nottingham called SelectADisc where I spent every Monday lunchtime for the best part of a decade. I tried going to Rough Trade instead after they closed down but it's not the same

Haircut_10007/11/2019 07:37

In my local area we still have a TJ Hughes, Jessops, Habitat (within a …In my local area we still have a TJ Hughes, Jessops, Habitat (within a large Sainsbury’s store), and several branches of Clintons.

They have all been in administration in the past, though.
Make.Amazon.Great.Again07/11/2019 08:02

I'd there to be a shop on every high street with large placards in the …I'd there to be a shop on every high street with large placards in the windows berating people who cannot grasp the difference between loose and lose.

"I'd there to be a shop..."?

Can you also have a placard to explain that to people too, please?

jambone07/11/2019 03:02

Clintons? They are still around

Again,... and have previously been in administration.
WHSmiths seems to mainly be in airports and train stations now.

I generally avoid it like the plague due to the fact they mark up their prices on a lot of items by up to 50%.

At Manchester Airport, there's 2 in T3. The one across from the Ryanair desks must have had half a dozen customers in it since I've been through there consistently over the last 2 years.
The one airside is busier, but their drinks, for example, are on average 50p more expensive that Boots a few metres away.

Last time I used them was back in the 90s when they did fairly good deals on Friends, Buffy TVS, Angel etc. dvd boxsets and their points card let you rack up cash fairly easily.
Easily woolworths

Not only is Brantano still around but it has taken a leaf out of Sports Direct's book and bought up a couple of labels (Lambretta and VANS) and is now flogging their clothes (made in China) in their shops.
The companies didn't put themselves in their graves, a combination of high street rent/rates, internet prices and us as consumers did that for them. In the next 10 years our high streets will be for the service sector only or for the very basic newsagent pound shop. There will be no rejuvenation of it as we are past that now. You can even now starting to see supermarkets putting less and less money into customer services in there stores, scan yourself, check out yourself and a massive push to shop online, the internet has much to answer for.

dheydl07/11/2019 10:52

Not only is Brantano still around but it has taken a leaf out of Sports …Not only is Brantano still around but it has taken a leaf out of Sports Direct's book and bought up a couple of labels (Lambretta and VANS) and is now flogging their clothes (made in China) in their shops.

One more time before I feel I may need to edit my original comment...

Yes; the above list of retailers are those that immediately came to my mind as having already been in administration (& that were missing from the opening post/thread description).
Debenhams - I think they are miles better than M&S!

Unfortunately some of the good brands no longer want to sell their clothes through them making it even harder for them to survive.
Blockbuster (technically a rentailer not a retailer) but good memories of the Friday evening mooch around the store when the kids were little........
Gollywood07/11/2019 05:29

C&APhones4U cos they owe me £800+

Every time I'm in Belgium, Germany, Spain or other countries that still have a C&A I buy something. Unbelievably good value, my C&A Basics hoodie that I got on an unseasonably cold day in Bruges for €8 is one of my favourite hoodie.
colinsss07/11/2019 12:22

Blockbuster (technically a rentailer not a retailer) but good memories of …Blockbuster (technically a rentailer not a retailer) but good memories of the Friday evening mooch around the store when the kids were little........

There is still one left: twitter.com/lon…=09
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants