Expired

Which desktop pc?

Found 26th Mar 2017
I need to buy a new desktop PC but am not sure which to go for. I will be using it for general everyday things emailing, internet browsing, word processing, watching videos, downloading music, basic photo editing. I may also play the odd game but not the very graphically demanding games (as I have a PS4 for that) but just basic ones such as Monkey Island/Broken Sword/Portal etc.

I have narrowed it down to the two choices below:

store.hp.com/UKS…DTP

pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml

Please could someone tell me which they think I should buy and why?

1. Ask
  2. Desktop
  3. PC
15 Comments

For that kind of money you would be much better building your own computer, it isn't that difficult and you could get a half decent gaming system and still have change. Especially if you only want the system and not a monitor?

Original Poster

Westwoodo

For that kind of money you would be much better building your own … For that kind of money you would be much better building your own computer, it isn't that difficult and you could get a half decent gaming system and still have change. Especially if you only want the system and not a monitor?

​You're probably right but I need one ready built as I am not knowledgeable enough to be building one.

Both seem overkill to me. if you're just after basic stuff then you really don't need and i7 and probably don't even need an i5. that being said i would personally go for the top link because it has the better processor and so won't need upgrading for longer and if you ever wanted to add a video card for a better gaming experience you can
Edited by: "zipt" 26th Mar 2017

When my current pc dies I'm going for a chrome book. Not the cheep plastic one though. Think I'm done with pc now. Take a look at the Dell pc packages for comparison. Think they are a safe bet

agentlaw85

​You're probably right but I need one ready built as I am not k … ​You're probably right but I need one ready built as I am not knowledgeable enough to be building one.

Please don't waste money on these things.

Building a budget pc that can do what you want costs pennies, and is MUCH better.

Building a pc is a fun experience and something you can keep with you forever. It's very easy too. Literally adult lego.
Edited by: "ritchiedrama" 26th Mar 2017

ritchiedrama

Please don't waste money on these things.Building a budget pc that can do … Please don't waste money on these things.Building a budget pc that can do what you want costs pennies, and is MUCH better.Building a pc is a fun experience and something you can keep with you forever. It's very easy too. Literally adult lego.

​Building a PC isn't for everyone. You can get some decent deals buying prebuilt too. He's asking which PC is better, not for life advice

Original Poster

Which one has the better graphics card out of the two?

The prebuilt desktop market right now is horrible unfortunately.

The ideal system for you would be a fairly modest processor. Something like a Pentium G4560 is equal to a laptop i7 and fine for what you want, and an entry level modern graphics card like an RX 460 (something like the 435 is just a rebadged older card, a 240 in this case, that often won't offer much improvement over integrated graphics).

That processor and graphics card together cost about the same as an i5-7400 but unfortunately are built in much smaller numbers than i5 systems without a card and tend to work out quite a bit more expensive to buy prebuilt.

Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I need to do a bit more research. On another note what are people's opinions of the all in one PCs? Are they better than tower PCs?
t

agentlaw85

Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I need to do a bit more research. … Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I need to do a bit more research. On another note what are people's opinions of the all in one PCs? Are they better than tower PCs?t

You pay extra for the looks.

I'm selling PC's for half the price and 100% better than what you want it for

Wouldn't touch an all in one asany have completely soldered parts so upgrading is difficult.

Like above said, building your own is like a few screws and like a jigsaw a child could do it if you can watch a YouTube video in like 30 minutes and it will tell you all you need to know. I am building my own as we speak and not even owned a desktop for over 15 years never mind built one.

Here is a build that dumps all over the pre built ones that you listed and will even play most modern console games on medium/high setting it lists all parts and links to buy them uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

The g4560 is basically as good as a I3 or even better and a fraction of the cost. Don't fall for a pre built one with a fancy processor and HD space and then other penny parts. That second one you linked had a 180w psu wtf!!! Good luck

Gottograbthemall

Here is a build that dumps all over the pre built ones that you listed … Here is a build that dumps all over the pre built ones that you listed and will even play most modern console games on medium/high setting it lists all parts and links to buy them https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Your pcpartpicker link doesn't go to a complete build....

Your pcpartpicker link doesn't go to a complete build....

uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…Xpb

Tbh what he wants it for you could get away with the on board graphics and save £90 overall £380 with the rx460 half the price of any of them

Here's a utube video of the performance of the rx460 and g4560 together on some top game titles as you can see more than acceptable for what you need

youtu.be/rJp…fmE
Edited by: "Gottograbthemall" 27th Mar 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions