Which dog food for our ridgeback

Posted 27th Oct
Tried so many dry dog foods now and even tried him on the expensive ones recommended by vets like hills science plan and wafcol

But he still farts non stop and his turds are runny and sloppy all over. can't win
even went raw and that produced solid turds but it was just so expensive with him being a 50kg dog

so was thinking of going cheapo as all the expensive ones aren't helping

anybody use this stuff
would recommend some feedback on it please

petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/wagg-complete-sensitive-wheat-free-chicken-and-rice-dog-food-12kg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I wouldn’t use Wagg despite it being very cheap. It looks as cheap as it is. I would try chappie as that is good for sensitive tummies.
37 Comments
I wouldn’t use Wagg despite it being very cheap. It looks as cheap as it is. I would try chappie as that is good for sensitive tummies.
My family all use CSJ Champ, it's a nice price and I find that my dog's poos are of a good consistency for picking up if that makes sense.

csjk9.com/sto…ts/
Feed some dry food too to stop the runny stomach
Use TAILS for our dogs, one has all sorts of allergies but they have cleared up since using it. You can get a trial for nothing
steff496527/10/2019 18:12

Use TAILS for our dogs, one has all sorts of allergies but they have …Use TAILS for our dogs, one has all sorts of allergies but they have cleared up since using it. You can get a trial for nothing

Tried them and it didn't help
Got two huge bags for about £2

Still got one bag left
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 27th Oct
We feed ours csj and never had a problem
kellyanne.hiam27/10/2019 18:13

We feed ours csj and never had a problem

A few say this csj maybe I give them a go
Vitalin, either type, are great. It's a dry food and you just add some hot water and give it a stir. Leave it for a minute then feed. We had a staffieX that was pretty disgusting. You couldn't use a poop bag, you needed a straw and a sponge. This sorted her out in a couple of feeds.
Ringfinger27/10/2019 18:15

Vitalin, either type, are great. It's a dry food and you just add some hot …Vitalin, either type, are great. It's a dry food and you just add some hot water and give it a stir. Leave it for a minute then feed. We had a staffieX that was pretty disgusting. You couldn't use a poop bag, you needed a straw and a sponge. This sorted her out in a couple of feeds.

thanks . I did look at this actually. They sell it at petsathome

This one?

petsathome.com/sho…5kg
Haircut_10027/10/2019 17:40

My family all use CSJ Champ, it's a nice price and I find that my dog's …My family all use CSJ Champ, it's a nice price and I find that my dog's poos are of a good consistency for picking up if that makes sense.https://www.csjk9.com/stockists/

Wow nearest supplier miles away. That's a shame
Highly recommend Aatu. Firm poos and our dog loves it. It is expensive but with higher quality food, they don’t need as much so can work out similar.

Have a good look on AllAboutDogFood. You can filter results and it really shows how poor a lot of the food out there is.
I buy Chicken thighs from Lidl I cook them them blitz in a blender it's far better than tin dog food and there's no waste or mess I mix it with biscuits and hot water
MattNorfolk27/10/2019 18:27

Highly recommend Aatu. Firm poos and our dog loves it. It is expensive but …Highly recommend Aatu. Firm poos and our dog loves it. It is expensive but with higher quality food, they don’t need as much so can work out similar.Have a good look on AllAboutDogFood. You can filter results and it really shows how poor a lot of the food out there is.

Looks good stuff but his food will cost more than our own food shopping
Have you had allergy testing done? I always fed our dog food with white fish and potato until allergy testing showed an allergy to potato!!! Now on Acana food which is mostly white fish with NO potato
That's it, but that is expensive. Can get it for around £10 a bag. (makes good groundbait for fishing too)
efc_4ever27/10/2019 18:35

Looks good stuff but his food will cost more than our own food shopping

Haha. You would probably only need to feed a 3rd of the amount of some of the cheaper ones and I always find it on a deal and bulk buy.

Put in your dogs weight and age etc in here and see what comes up. There’s usually comments in some of the food mentioning firm/sloppy poos.

allaboutdogfood.co.uk
My stinky lab boy eats everything, but he is fed a grain and gluten free diet.
We also avoid pork and chicken as these tend to make hom smell worse!
He has allergies. Hay fever (grass pollen) and gluten intolerance and it causes him dry itchy skin and hives.
so we are constantly looking for a dry food.
I’ve tried Raw, tails and lots of brands even the vet prescription stuff is for him.
My Lab has a skin allergy too, I steer clear of anything with chicken as it goes right through her. Skinner's Muesli seemed to be good for her for ages but not sure if they have changed the recipe but seems to upset her at the moment. I have her back on Barking Heads - chop lickin lamb, which seems to have calmed her tummy and no wind.
Grain free has been the only thing we found which has stopped the diarrhoea we settled on James Wellbeloved dry food and occasionally mix it with butchers grain free wet food
dizilizi27/10/2019 19:17

My stinky lab boy eats everything, but he is fed a grain and gluten … My stinky lab boy eats everything, but he is fed a grain and gluten free diet.We also avoid pork and chicken as these tend to make hom smell worse!He has allergies. Hay fever (grass pollen) and gluten intolerance and it causes him dry itchy skin and hives.so we are constantly looking for a dry food.I’ve tried Raw, tails and lots of brands even the vet prescription stuff is for him.

Sounds same as us that. So what you feeding the lab at the mo?
efc_4ever27/10/2019 20:03

Sounds same as us that. So what you feeding the lab at the mo?

V-dog crunchies not cheapest £45 a sack.
Seems to be helping though.

Autarky was good for a bit, I think they may have had a recipe tweak, and that coupled with me sacking off amazon subscription, meant a change.
dizilizi27/10/2019 20:05

V-dog crunchies not cheapest £45 a sack.Seems to be helping though. …V-dog crunchies not cheapest £45 a sack.Seems to be helping though. Autarky was good for a bit, I think they may have had a recipe tweak, and that coupled with me sacking off amazon subscription, meant a change.

Says vdog flakes are £33 for a 15kg bag on Amazon
simonvf40027/10/2019 19:39

My Lab has a skin allergy too, I steer clear of anything with chicken as …My Lab has a skin allergy too, I steer clear of anything with chicken as it goes right through her. Skinner's Muesli seemed to be good for her for ages but not sure if they have changed the recipe but seems to upset her at the moment. I have her back on Barking Heads - chop lickin lamb, which seems to have calmed her tummy and no wind.

I don’t think they realise that we rely on them not messing with the recipes!
efc_4ever27/10/2019 20:10

Says vdog flakes are £33 for a 15kg bag on Amazon

Not the flakes, that’s like museli, that’s the orange bag.
We have the blue bag nuggets/crunchies
Whatever you decide don’t forget to use the discount code RCBVM6 if over £40 and you are shopping at pets at home, good luck
kiepau27/10/2019 20:16

Whatever you decide don’t forget to use the discount code RCBVM6 i …Whatever you decide don’t forget to use the discount code RCBVM6 if over £40 and you are shopping at pets at home, good luck

Oh thank you

Nice, 10% off
We use burns for our collie not the cheapest but good stuff you could buy the 2kg bag for near £10 and give it a try . Good luck though hope you find something to help x
confusedfashion1927/10/2019 21:21

We use burns for our collie not the cheapest but good stuff you could buy …We use burns for our collie not the cheapest but good stuff you could buy the 2kg bag for near £10 and give it a try . Good luck though hope you find something to help x

Thanks. I did look at burns. Lots of it on petsathome website. I'm thinking of trying that actually small bag
I used eden until it went very expensive for my great dane ,she wouldn't eat raw however if yours will try asking your local butcher for a discount Beware of cheap foods with large dogs as they rarely eat the amount of food they ned to get their RDA. Try a mix of everything until you find one that suits. Good luck.
Chappie is brilliant
We feed our dog Burns wet (lamb and brown rice / chicken and brown rice / fish and brown rice) with a mix of Burns small breed dry food.

Never had an issue with Burns. They do a sensitive range too.

It was recommended by our vet when our girl was a pup.

We buy from Fetch. They regularly do discounts / free delivery and are a good bit cheaper than PaH!!

The fish is super stinky and the lamb produces meaty farts

Do you feed your dog any treats or biscuits? They could be sensitive to them?

You could also try a bland mix of cooked chicken and cooked rice to see if that settles his bowels.
Edited by: "psychedelicrenegade" 28th Oct
My dog had that problem before switching to wholeprey.com/ake…tml and since then his gut problems gone. People warned me he would gain weigh on working dog food but he didn’t as it’s higher in fat and calories, only changes seen is his fur is better quality, more energy, no stinky poos (you couldn’t be in the same garden as him it smelt so badly) no farts that were silent but deadly, I looked for ages comparing price to nutrition, considered raw but dogs aren’t designed to eat a raw diet anymore as they are so far evolved (vet was talking about how bad raw food was) sometimes mix with a forth glade tray (only a small portion of tray) and dog loves it
allaboutdogfood.co.uk/ Helps you know if dog food has good nutrition
Shopaholic2928/10/2019 14:44

My dog had that problem before switching to …My dog had that problem before switching to https://www.wholeprey.com/akela-80-20-dog-food.html and since then his gut problems gone. People warned me he would gain weigh on working dog food but he didn’t as it’s higher in fat and calories, only changes seen is his fur is better quality, more energy, no stinky poos (you couldn’t be in the same garden as him it smelt so badly) no farts that were silent but deadly, I looked for ages comparing price to nutrition, considered raw but dogs aren’t designed to eat a raw diet anymore as they are so far evolved (vet was talking about how bad raw food was) sometimes mix with a forth glade tray (only a small portion of tray) and dog loves it

Thanks shopaholic

Definitely will give that a go I think
I appreciate it
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 28th Oct
psychedelicrenegade28/10/2019 11:52

We feed our dog Burns wet (lamb and brown rice / chicken and brown rice / …We feed our dog Burns wet (lamb and brown rice / chicken and brown rice / fish and brown rice) with a mix of Burns small breed dry food.Never had an issue with Burns. They do a sensitive range too.It was recommended by our vet when our girl was a pup.We buy from Fetch. They regularly do discounts / free delivery and are a good bit cheaper than PaH!!The fish is super stinky and the lamb produces meaty farts Do you feed your dog any treats or biscuits? They could be sensitive to them?You could also try a bland mix of cooked chicken and cooked rice to see if that settles his bowels.

How much does that cost you monthly? I see you get the small breed so not feeding your dog as much as what we need to feed our ridgeback. Hence the jump in cost for us
Opted for a mix of chappie wet tinned food with dry food. I have to think about price aswel you see guys so I'll give this a shot and see how it goes
efc_4ever28/10/2019 17:22

How much does that cost you monthly? I see you get the small breed so not …How much does that cost you monthly? I see you get the small breed so not feeding your dog as much as what we need to feed our ridgeback. Hence the jump in cost for us

Yeah, i'm only about £65.00 every 4 months or so.

My girl gets 100g wet and 60g dry split 3 times per day, so nothing compared to a ridgeback.

I just had a look on Fetch there. They have a 15% off code (welcome15) for first order.

It can be used multiple times if you set up multiple accounts.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants