Which DSLR.Canon or Nikon

Found 5th Jan
I’m looking at buying another DSLR.Currently have a D5300 Nikon with 4 lenses.35mm prime,bundled 55mm,wide angle 10mm and a 300mm zoom.
I basically want a full frame and don’t want to spend any for than £1000 but which is better.Nikon or Canon?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

Original Poster

I know £1000 is going to be difficult but I was going to go second hand

Have you looked into mirrorless? Quieter, smaller,lighter. I think in the future that's what everyone will have, but there is still a bigger market for second hand DSLR lenses.

In my opinion, Canon make better quality lenses than Nikon (I have used both).
But, you already have Nikon lenses. So useless you want to spend even more money, I'd stick with Nikon.
Prime lenses are the best for quality. Zoom lenses for the convenience and nothing else.

I prefer Canon

Both make fine lenses and crap lenses; cheap and expensive lenses; good cameras and bad cameras.

Not sure why you want FX but would encourage you to look at top of the range DX models. FX is for pros and, to be blunt, for those with deep pockets. Working on a £1,000 budget suggests DX may be more affordable and both Nikon and Cannon have fine products.

Review your choices (Nikon vs Cannon and FX vs DX) at bythom.com

Price kit on camerapricebuster.co.uk/ which includes s/h.

I have Nikon kit and at times wish I had gone Cannon but don't regret Nikon. The investment in lenses means I will stay Nikon and will be happy. I use a DX D7200 and would buy the same again for circa. £900 and not the D7500. If I had £1,600 to blow, I would buy the DX D500.

If you are new to the DSLR world, you can do a lot worse than a s/h D90 for £150-£250. I still have mine and it shoots great pics. I use the money for lenses. Get the 200-500 if you do go Nikon and want longer distances. It is a stonking good buy at £1,000.

If your nikon lenses were bought for the DX fitting D5300 they won't be right for any full frame nikon. Full frame needs FX lenses.

You'd get a S/H Nikon D750 for < £1000 (£1560 new), but you'd very quickly spend £1000+ on a few FX lenses. Heres an example of a private sale for £900.
avforums.com/thr…73/

Try this 'Camerapricebusters' site to comparative prices from UK suppliers. You'll get cheaper new imports from Hong Cong based suppliers but the camera makers won't honour non EU warranties.

There are so many aspects that it's almost impossible to generalize and say which might be better for someone. I personally like Canon EOS DSLRs since the lens mount lets you adapt almost any lens in existence for use on your Canon (you can't do the same with Nikon F mount). I started with Nikon so I had/have Nikon lenses (as well as Canon, and Leica R) which I use on Canon bodies. Of course, I use manual focus etc, since there is no electronic connection, but it really doesn't bother me.

My advice:

Whichever brand you go with, buy a used DSLR, and put the money you save towards better lenses (also used) and things like tripods. A good lens (especially if bought used) will hold it's value (even increase if you choose well and look after your kit) for many years, while a DSLR will not. DSLRs are effectively considered to be disposable, in much the same way 35mm photographic film is.

This means you can buy an older fully pro FF DSLR for 1/10th (or less) of the price when it was new. Unless you have a particular application in mind which requires a feature a more recent DSLR has, you can have an amazing bit of kit that will probably last you a life time, for less than you'd pay for a new semi-pro DSLR. Eg. Canon 1Ds MkII (13 years old now IIRC) can be had for around £400 (or less) for one with little use on Ebay if you are patient. You just have to do your homework, and ask the right questions to make sure you don't buy something that has been hammered in some way. I've bought about 10 EOS DSLRs (and lenses too) this way over the years/decades, and out of those only one has failed (a 20D, last year).

I'd avoid Nikon, as they're known for loose pixels that rattle inside.

Also, in a Nikon the depth of field can be somewhat of a problem, as if it's been raining and soft, your footing can slowly sink causing a slight blur like effect on the image.

Cold and windy weather can also be problematic for Nikons, as overexposure to those elements will cause the image to be too bright.
Post a comment
@
    Text