Which estate or SUV car?

Found 24th Jun
My partner is looking to buy a new car. We are planning on getting an estate or SUV so have a decent boot for the dog more than anything!
We have a budget of around £13-14000 for a used car but 1-2 years old with low mileage.
He currently has a 2 litre BMW series 3 and is worried about how much of a downgrade he'll be taking!
He drives alot of motorway miles to work and back around 15,000 a year so wants something reliable.
Been looking at Suzuki Vitara and vauxhall astra estates but not sure what other options we have as know nothing about cars!
Any advice appreciated.
Community Updates
AskHome & Garden
15 Comments
Take a trip to Motorpoint and have a look around . You should have a good choice of 1-2 year old cars still under manufacturers warranty for your budget . You can also view the cars on their website . You will be pressed to find better value .
Edited by: "rogparki" 24th Jun
I wouldn’t worry about a downgrade from a BMW they are nothing special and the one I had was not very reliable. I went from that to an Octavia and I wouldn’t ever go back. I also had a focus hire care recently with work that was pretty decent considering what I know fords were like in the past. I don’t think you would feel it was a downgrade BMW’s are very overrated.
SUVs: The VW Tiguan, Mazda CX-3 or Mazda CX-5 (2015), Ford Kuga and Nissan Qashqai are within your buget and other criteria. If you're looking for a "presige" brand, then just slightly outside your criteria would be the BMW X3 (2010, but still low mileage), Audi Q3 (2014, but still low mileage).
If I were to choose from the above, I'd be seriously looking at the highly rated Mazda CX-5.
whatcar.com/maz…ew/

Estates: A lot to choose from here, so I'll stick to the "presige" brands, including the Mercedes C-Class (2014), Audi A4 (2014), BMW 3-series (2015), Volvo V60 (2016). These are all within your budget.

Use the Autotrader website, or better still, the app, use the filters to narrow down your choices and then go to a car supermarket and have a look.

Good Luck
Edited by: "cutthroat_jake" 24th Jun
If he does that many miles a second hand BMW 3 series 2 litre diesel is probably the best vehicle to buy IMO.

They are reliable, have the grunt for motorways and have fantastic MPG.
Edited by: "jb66" 24th Jun
Echo all the comments above, would say read up on them and take plenty of test drives. I would add the Skoda Superb and Passat to the list they make excellent estates. One of your problems is at your budget you are probably looking at models of SUVs, even the Superb that have been recently replaced and the newer models are a massive step up. Similarly the last 18 months have seen many new SUVs hit the market which haven’t dropped in price yet.

We recently bought from Motorpoint and they were excellent great service and car was direct from VW with about 3k less miles than any dealer and £4K less in price. Years ago car supermarkets had a bad name but that has all changed.
jb662 h, 7 m ago

If he does that many miles a second hand BMW 3 series 2 litre diesel is …If he does that many miles a second hand BMW 3 series 2 litre diesel is probably the best vehicle to buy IMO.They are reliable, have the grunt for motorways and have fantastic MPG.

Grunt !!! maybe if you have the 330D or 335D, the 320D is gutless and wheezy. Tell him to upgrade to a 330 and get a remap.
If that’s your budget I’d go with a focus estate. Reliable car and fuel efficient. I’d recommend the 1.5 diesel 120bhp.

I now have a focus which I bought new having scrapped my Fiesta 1.6 TDCI which had done over 160k with no issues except usual wear and tear (all in line with service regimes).
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 24th Jun
jb662 h, 55 m ago

If he does that many miles a second hand BMW 3 series 2 litre diesel is …If he does that many miles a second hand BMW 3 series 2 litre diesel is probably the best vehicle to buy IMO.They are reliable, have the grunt for motorways and have fantastic MPG.

It was only a couple of years ago that BMW's 2-litre diesel engines were self-destructing. That shouldn't affect him if he wants a 1-2 year old car as the issues were mostly sorted by 2013 models but it's still too recent to say BMW have a good track record on engine reliability.

All cars these days are of a high standard so I wouldn't worry about reliability or quality of the brand. There is the odd major issue like the BMW N47 engines but nobody with systematic problems that size. It really comes down to what you want and what you like.

There are dozens of cars that'll fit the criteria of a dog friendly boot so it's hard to give a list of recommendations without any further info on what you like and don't like.

Some of the cars that would appeal to me would be:

Mazda 6 Estate. Similar to the current BMW but more stylish. Good to drive.

DS 5. Technically a hatchback, but it's a big one with a correspondingly big boot. Not very dynamic to drive, but comfortable with a wonderful interior.

Jeep Renegade. One of the few 4x4s/'SUVs' with a sense of fun rather than just being butch. It feels like Fiat-Chrysler got the badges mixed up. This is what you expect from Fiat while it's sister 500X is more what you expect from an American brand. The boot might be too small for a larger dog though.

Mini Clubman. I haven't actually seen the new one, but the old one we nice and as we don't tend to get small estates in the UK (there's a Clio estate that's ubiquitous on the continent) it's well worth a look.

Renault Megane Estate. The old one felt a bit 'thin' but reviews say they've sorted that on the new one, and Renault are on fine form in the looks department. I'd rather have the new Grand Scenic, but that's still out of budget.
Thanks for all the comments all really helpful definitely going to look at a few at motorpoint! Main things we are looking for is reliable which sounds like most are! Fairly cheap to run and decent acceleration.
Nearly all cars are fairly reliable these days. Just your odd electrical gremlins.

Look on honestjohn realMPG for a rough idea of what to expect. It's fairly accurate in my experience and if they're doing mostly motorway miles they should get a good return.
I have run 4 Mondeo estates (inc 2 from Motorpoint). Probably the most comfortable, reliable and cheap to run cars I have ever had.

For any car, watch the choice of tyres as some are hideously expensive. Use blackcircles to check before buying

And if you buy 3-5 years old, depending on how long you plan to keep it for, check for cam belt replacement timing. Can be a nasty surprise on an otherwise cheap car.
Edited by: "ccnp" 25th Jun
Decided to go for an estate after looking around due to fuel economy!
So locally can get a new vauxhall astra estate (preregistered) within my budget.
Other options are ford focus, Kia sportswagon (7 years warranty which sounds good!). Or something a bit older with more milage like honda/Toyota or even an older Volvo!
Would people recommend a newer car or an older car from a more recommended make?
Jade4924 m ago

Decided to go for an estate after looking around due to fuel economy! So …Decided to go for an estate after looking around due to fuel economy! So locally can get a new vauxhall astra estate (preregistered) within my budget. Other options are ford focus, Kia sportswagon (7 years warranty which sounds good!). Or something a bit older with more milage like honda/Toyota or even an older Volvo! Would people recommend a newer car or an older car from a more recommended make?

Nearly new would be a better choice financially. Older cars even with low mileage are older so naturally more worn. Low mileage is also not always a good thing. Low mileage town driving can be far worse than high mileage motorway miles etc..

I've got a Zafira Tourer and get around 46.5mpg and that's with a mixture of driving. Likely be the same 1.6 diesel engine you'll find in the Astra. I'd expect 55mpg if doing lots of motorway driving. Far from the official claimed 68mpg!

I'd have a Focus over the Astra, Nicer to drive, Better handling etc.. but not quite as good mpg.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 26th Jun
Jade492 h, 39 m ago

Decided to go for an estate after looking around due to fuel economy! So …Decided to go for an estate after looking around due to fuel economy! So locally can get a new vauxhall astra estate (preregistered) within my budget. Other options are ford focus, Kia sportswagon (7 years warranty which sounds good!). Or something a bit older with more milage like honda/Toyota or even an older Volvo! Would people recommend a newer car or an older car from a more recommended make?

While the fuel economy charts are led by estates, there are plenty with poor fuel economy. There's a much bigger variance due to engines and weight than body style.

So it doesn't make much sense to say you're considering estates because of fuel economy if you're going to look at a relatively heavy and thirsty cars like an Optima Estate. If you're happy with around 45mpg then there are lots of taller cars that fit the bill too.

Vauxhall's engines used to be pretty mediocre for fuel economy, but the new 1.6 diesel is supposed to be good. The new Astra is definitely an option if you like it.

Honda's 1.6 diesel is also very good, arguably the most efficient on the market. Even the HR-V and CR-V outstrip most estates, and the Civic estate itself easily does 60mpg+

Unless you want a lot of power. You haven't said how powerful the current BMW is so it's a bit hard to judge acceleration. Their 2.0 engine comes in a wide range of power levels, from 260Nm to 450Nm. If it's the lowest 316d tune most diesels should match it, if it's a 325d then you'd need to be looking at more powerful engines.

In terms of more powerful diesel fuel economy you're not going to see anything like 60mpg, they all seem to be around 42-48mpg in manual form. Whether it's Volvo, Ford, DS, Peugeot, VW Group, BMW, Mazda, Toyota, Jaguar...

The BMW Mini Clubman Cooper SD 190bhp may be your best bet for fuel economy with poke, although the cheapest examples are currently £15k and it's still only low fifties. That's roughly the same engine variant as the 120d/320d but it's a slightly lighter car.

Spritmonitor.de is also useful for real world fuel economy. It's mainly German submissions but the car market is very similar so almost all the models are the same. You'll also need a L/100km to mpg converter, but 5 L/100km is 56mpg and the scale is the other way around (so a smaller number is more efficient).

spritmonitor.de/en/
unitjuggler.com/con…l=5

I really wouldn't put any weight on recommended brands. This is a big purchase and it needs to be what you like, other peoples tastes don't matter.
Probably a bit late but what about a Dacia duster, brand new car well within your budget, 3 year genuine manufacturers warranty and rac cover, used car warrantys are not worth the paper that are written on.

dacia.co.uk/?&a…MRw
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants