Found 13th Dec 2016
workmate wants some movies on a USB stick to watch on a seiki TV. I put a load on mostly mkv and they weren't supported. what format would be best. thanks

1. Ask
  2. TV
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. TV
22 Comments

Whatever the TV can handle.

Original Poster

cdm22

Whatever the TV can handle.

​obviously

try mp4

Mp4 or avi will work. No idea why Mkv won't his tele must be crap

xvid is your safest bet mate

Or tell him to buy a cheap Android box with Kodi he'll have every single film at his finger tips

MP4 is the most common format for TV's etc.

Original Poster

Toon_army

Or tell him to buy a cheap Android box with Kodi he'll have every single … Or tell him to buy a cheap Android box with Kodi he'll have every single film at his finger tips

​told him that, didn't even know you watch movies from a USB stick lol

This isn't gonna be much help to you but I sorta remember doing something like this and it was a right nightmare. I was trying to watch x files and different episodes worked and didn't work. I think I went with avi in the end and it involved loads of converting trying to match files that did work but even then some still didn't. I wouldn't bother just burn them to dvd with convert x to dvd. Good luck

Most common container supported for non-current models is likely to be mp4, although resolution may be the issue. Some older TVs don't like anything above 480p. Maybe identify the supported containers and resolution via web-search of the TV model + manual + PDF.
And / or randomly try remuxing the mkv to mp4 using freebie rebox.NET tool or similar.

RabS1

​obviously

Well what is the model number for the TV then we can find out.

RabS1

​told him that, didn't even know you watch movies from a USB stick lol

Some people aren't very clued up, my mates the same. I got sick of putting films on his USB 2.0 stick, was far to slow told him to buy a 3.0 but he wasn't interested. So I made him buy a FireTv Stick installed Kodi and thats all he does now sit at home watching stuff

Original Poster

cdm22

Well what is the model number for the TV then we can find out.

​its not an old TV he says he bought it 6months ago

mp4

Mp4 seems to be the best. H.264 is universal to and plays. Mkv files are hit and miss because of the format contained within I find. I used handbrake which is a free program to convert to play. What you do is select the file to convert. Set destination for the new file to be written. Select one of the presets as the settings are a little complicated. Just using one of the presets fills in the options for you. Hit start. That's it...... Problem is with tvs they can be fussy so I find a media player can also be easier if you have the files already. Something that will run kodi is perfect although for a while I used a £10 Chinese media player off ebay which has a usb port.

My LG TV will play the H.264 but won't play the newer H.265 (Very common problem). You need to encode your H.265 to H.264 if this is the case.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 13th Dec 2016

mkv is a container (it can contain mp4/avi + various audio codecs)

It's possible (and most likely your tv doesn't support mkv but might support what's in the mkv container) - try this first rename filename.mkv to filename.mp4 - some might play and if so then look at the difference between those that play and those that don't with a tool like MediaInfo and go from there
Edited by: "philphil61" 13th Dec 2016

buy an audio and video cable from ebay (should be less than a fiver), connect from lappy to tv, will play anything your lappy plays.

firestick, Kodi, exodus = sorted

Original Poster

jez794

​said this to him already, but doesn't have wifi, still buys DVDs every week that why I said I would put on a USB stick

Tell you friend to get a media player like the sumvision micro 2 or 3, plugs in via hdmi and plays most of the best formats, no need to then re encode them to a different format which will take ages to do,

jez794

RabS1

said this to him already, but doesn't have wifi, still buys DVDs every … said this to him already, but doesn't have wifi, still buys DVDs every week that why I said I would put on a USB stick

Don't need wifi nor internet to run Kodi (or any other media player) to playback local media. You give your buddy the media on the USB stick, your buddy uses the media player on Firestick (or Android box) to play whatever is stored on the USB stick. It would be almost inconceivable that Kodi on Firestick or Android box would not be able to play whatever is thrown at it. Only playback limitation for the Firestick may be x265/HEVC-encoded or possibly 4k content.
Ironically, one file container that nearly every Seiki TVs supports via USB is VOB - the default format for DVD files.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3169
    2. Free sweet Sunday’s code22
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769365
    4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1951380

See more discussions