Found 25th Apr 2012
External window Frame ..

What is Pro's and Con's

Silicon V's Acrylic ??
Community Updates
Misc
24 Comments
Banned
silicone is for external, acrylic is internal (it can be overpainted too) , LMN is the best silicone (low modulous neutral cure)
if your sealing outdoor silicon, it will create a water tight barrier and is avlaiable in lots of colours.

for interior i have used both as the silicon can provide a nice clean finish if done well. If not so good the acrylic can be painted.

****top tip**** once you have applied the silicone round the frame you should smooth it. wet one finger with some water and it will create a nice smooth finish and good the dogs danggles.
WIHAD will confirm our beliefs soon enough
Banned
Rupz, in the trade one licks one's finger to smooth it , ok ?
goldmax

Rupz, in the trade one licks one's finger to smooth it , ok ?

i know, but the OP asked a question about which sealent to use. one can assume that he is not in the trade hence the suggestion of wettingones finger with water rather than a random aqueous solution.
wet willy.
On a more serious note, I need to re-silicon my windows from the inside.
What is some 'GOOD' silicon?
personally i'd fill gaps with expanding foam wait to set remove excess, apply a small amount of transparent silicone (enough to seal obviously) then cover with trim (size to suit perhaps 20mm fillet or a bit of quad) job done.
Edited by: "anchorman78" 25th Apr 2012
Dont buy cheap silicone as you will have to re do it in a matter of months
Nice one Anchorman78 i know its not part of the thread but can you tell Boston Trade Frames that it would have been nice if they hasd done that when they fitted our windows.
One little note though,if it's a wooden frame you used to be able to get some "Pellets" which you put into the void space before filling as it reduced the moisture and made a better job! Course best to do the job when its dry as well.
Mod & Ed
crumbs I'm so sorry to take so long, I hope my trainee Rupz held the fort until I got here, but just in case he didn't
if you're sealing outdoor silicon, it will create a water tight barrier and is available in lots of colours.
for interior I have used both as the silicon can provide a nice clean finish if done well, if not so good the acrylic can be painted, here's a top tip I picked up once you have applied the silicone round the frame you should smooth it, lick your finger and use that to create a nice smooth finish, it's the cat's whiskers

Banned
anchorman78

personally i'd fill gaps with expanding foam wait to set remove excess, … personally i'd fill gaps with expanding foam wait to set remove excess, apply a small amount of transparent silicone (enough to seal obviously) then cover with trim (size to suit perhaps 20mm fillet or a bit of quad) job done.

I try not to use trims and cloaking, simple is better , also with foam you should make sure you don't 'bow' the frame especially on resi doors, if it is fixed in the right places it should be fine . I use white but it can attract dirt so sometimes use masking tape and oak or brown silicone.
goldmax

I try not to use trims and cloaking, simple is better , also with foam … I try not to use trims and cloaking, simple is better , also with foam you should make sure you don't 'bow' the frame especially on resi doors, if it is fixed in the right places it should be fine . I use white but it can attract dirt so sometimes use masking tape and oak or brown silicone.

I always use trim just a bead of silicone is not attractive especially when dirt gets on to it. The frame would never bow if as you say it is fixed correctly using foam gives a better hold also. It may cost more by way of materials and take a little longer but if a job's worth doing it's worth doing well was always my view.
Banned
anchorman78

I always use trim just a bead of silicone is not attractive especially … I always use trim just a bead of silicone is not attractive especially when dirt gets on to it. The frame would never bow if as you say it is fixed correctly using foam gives a better hold also. It may cost more by way of materials and take a little longer but if a job's worth doing it's worth doing well was always my view.

thats why you should use a darker silicone as I suggested, oak looks good with bricks , I think trims look untidy, too many edges
goldmax

thats why you should use a darker silicone as I suggested, oak looks good … thats why you should use a darker silicone as I suggested, oak looks good with bricks , I think trims look untidy, too many edges

What if the frames are white?
Banned
anchorman78

What if the frames are white?

use masking tape to get a straight line , looks great , trust me

thanks

goldmax

use masking tape to get a straight line , looks great , trust me

I just don't like the look of a bead of silicone, trim is neater in my opinion finishes it off nicely. But we each have our own ways. I wouldn't need tape to get a neat edge, trust me.:p
Banned
anchorman78

thanksI just don't like the look of a bead of silicone, trim is neater in … thanksI just don't like the look of a bead of silicone, trim is neater in my opinion finishes it off nicely. But we each have our own ways. I wouldn't need tape to get a neat edge, trust me.:p

so you seal the trim too to stop water ingress? foam will not do it alone , looks awfull trim with silicone seal, I see it inside too, trims galore at some jobs I am replacing , you NEED masking tape on the frame for contrasting colour, trust me
Banned
silicone expands and contracts throughout the year to give protection against wet and wind, foam will not once cured so your only option is to see a silicone seal in TWO places instead of one
likemy first post says enough silicone to seal the gap then cover with trim. equally I've done many a job where neighbours have sid they wish their fitters had finished the windows off properly like mine. trust me Now we could go back and forth like this all evening but I'm sure we can agrre we all have our own ways. Are you still a fitter by the way?
Edited by: "anchorman78" 25th Apr 2012
Banned
anchorman78

likemy first post says enough silicone to seal the gap then cover with … likemy first post says enough silicone to seal the gap then cover with trim. equally I've done many a job where neighbours have sid they wish their fitters had finished the windows off properly like mine. trust me Now we could go back and forth like this all evening but I'm sure we can agrre we all have our own ways. Are you still a fitter by the way?

Fitter and partner in family business , I fit £250,000 a year (by myself), sliding sash, orangeries aswell as windows doors etc all word of mouth business,
Edited by: "goldmax" 25th Apr 2012
Good for you mate. Do you do/did much roofline work always hated that. I took a nose dive off scaffolding doing it about three years ago no longer in the trade due to the injuries. I hope your business continues to thrive, too many struggling and going under.
Banned
Try to avoid roofline now, unless a bungalow , ladder brackets bit risky , all that dust and taking tiles off , pain in ass . Sorry about your fall , were you self employed ?
sorry was travelling home, getting covered in decades old dust from head to toe on a boiling hot day having it stuck all over your face! I don't miss that but I miss other aspects of the job so much. had been working for myself for only a few months things were going well then had my fall. Was my own stupid fault, still you live and learn.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants