Which game console to buy for 9-year-old - PS3 or Xbox? Advice needed

Found 25th Mar 2012
Thought i'd try and mine the HUKD gaming comunity for some advice.

My nine-year-old son wants to get a games console, but I'm too out of touch to know what's going on these days (my gaming ended with Goldeneye on the N64).

Which one should he get - Xbox or PS3? What are the benefits of each one?

I doubt he'll play online, and most of the games i see discussed on here are 18 or 15 certificates so they're out too. Don't have many Blu-rays either so the PS3's ability to do that isn't a deal-breaker, though he will watch stuff on the iPlayer (just to get away from his annoying parents and newborn sister).

Any help much appreciated
Community Updates
27 Comments
Xbox, better exclusives and the ps3 controller is inferior.
Im waiting for the ps3 vs xbox brigade to appear lol
xbox console is cheaper
But if he does play online you will have to pay on xbox ,but you currently dont on the ps3
jonny619447

oh ok ps3 is better then lol
Tree fiddy.
If you're not playing online and don't want them playing games above their age, then you'd be better off with a Wii anyway. I can't think of enough games they'd be able to play to justify buying either console for them, but I might be wrong to be fair.

All 3 have the iPlayer.

If they ever wanted to pop online (although if they were playing games rated for them there might not be any that can actually go online), then maybe the PS3? Seems like Xbox Live would be a waste of money... but then the 360 is the cheaper console.

Maybe someone else can be more help, but there's nothing in it as far as I can see. Only kids games I've played are Viva Pinata and Mini Ninjas on the 360, and Little Big Planet on the PS3. All the other kids games I have are on my Wii.
Id advise a ps2 if he is not going to play online, there is loads of good childrens game's on it.
PS3 has some good exclusives a 9 year old might like e.g. Ratchet and Clank, Little Big Planet (not for me personally but I know it's very popular) as well as some HD collections of PS2 games such as Sly and Jak & Daxter.

Probably better off going for an xbox if he's not going to play online as the console is cheaper.
Edited by: "haydnmcfc" 25th Mar 2012
alanlukeb1

Id advise a ps2 if he is not going to play online, there is loads of good … Id advise a ps2 if he is not going to play online, there is loads of good childrens game's on it.

Definitely worth considering. Cheap as chips for console and games, too.
I would go with a Wii for a 9 year old. can't beat Mario Kart for a youngster
jonny619447

Or just play most Xbox 360/PC exclusives on the superior PC and then have a PS3 for all of the other stuff.

Gears of war 3, lol.
Neither, get him a stick & put him outside to play.
another vote for the ps2. cheaper to buy and games are usually cheaper brand new compared to ps3 or xbox. wii is another one too as no real point having xbox or ps3 if no online.
Original Poster
Cheers for all the comments - knew I could rely on you guys. We've got a Wii already and it does get played a lot.

Think he does just want one to play in his bedroom (and has got Xmas + birthday money burning a hole in his pocket), but from the little research I did, I couldn't find many games appropriate for his age.

Maybe he needs to wait. I'll just steel myself for that conversation (and prepare to blame all of you for my decision!)
xbox is more of a social console and by the looks of the games my nieces have alot better for the kiddies, plus with sky, iplayer etc sony havnt got a leg to stand on
9 year old? Wii.
PS3, better exclusives and the ps3 controller is superior
Any Nintendo machine would be a good way to go. Maybe even think about getting him a 3ds. They can go for around £99 used or £120 new. There are some great mario games for it. It has not been out that long so the life of the console will be good, plus it plays all the old ds games and so you have a massive catalogue of games that will work on it. There are also lots of sonic games on ds and 3ds too. He can play it in his room and can take it on trips and anywhere you may go.

If the choice is a ps3 or xbox, then I would go for the 360 with a kinect. The console has been around for a long time and there are plenty of games out for it. The kinect will add the active element that you get with the wii but in a much better way. Kinectimals and kinect sports are fantastic.

What games do you have for the wii?

I would go for a wii, the whole family can join in then and it will make it alot more fun .
My son is 10 and has had a Xbox 360 and a Wii for about 3 years. The Wii doesn't even get touched. It must be about a year since it was even turned on! If you get a Wii you will only end up buying a Xbox 360 or PS3, so don't waste your money. Before he had these we had an Xbox and PS2 and the PS2 never got used (mostly used by my OH in those day's!).
Between Xbox and PS3, I chose Xbox for my son because of better graphics, game play, variety of games (personal choice), and larger company. PS3 were largely based on being a media console when it was released, whereas Xbox 360 was a gaming console, so no competition!
His friends have Xbox live accounts so they play together online too.
hellbentondeals

My son is 10 and has had a Xbox 360 and a Wii for about 3 years. The Wii … My son is 10 and has had a Xbox 360 and a Wii for about 3 years. The Wii doesn't even get touched. It must be about a year since it was even turned on! If you get a Wii you will only end up buying a Xbox 360 or PS3, so don't waste your money. Before he had these we had an Xbox and PS2 and the PS2 never got used (mostly used by my OH in those day's!).Between Xbox and PS3, I chose Xbox for my son because of better graphics, game play, variety of games (personal choice), and larger company. PS3 were largely based on being a media console when it was released, whereas Xbox 360 was a gaming console, so no competition!His friends have Xbox live accounts so they play together online too.

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/wtf+_365b959baed59d8512c8f8ef9da3c547.jpg
Ignore the whole "media vs gaming console" crap, honestly, Comet Sales Person info 101.

First of all, for someone with smaller hands, I'd say the PS3 controller is better, even I find the 360 controller and the triggers very weird, so controller wise, PS3 for me.

Secondly, 360 needs the lame Gold account just to play online, it's a joke, there is no comparing the online of both consoles because they are exactly the same, trust me, I play both daily. The only thing the 360 has is the Party Chat - only an advantage if your Son has multiple friends on the console and they have mics.

Thirdly, both consoles have most games, if you want him to play a PS3 or 360 exclusive, then I'd say unless the game is worth chosing one over the other, then forget about "exclusives".

I'm on the 360 for FIFA and PS3 for BF3 - I prefer the PS3 over it mainly down to the non Gold account and the controller ( the controller is a big thing really, I can't play FPS on the 360 at all, it's a terrible design and the PS3 controller is a work of art over it).

Reason I play on the 360, my brother plays FIFA on it, and he has quite a few Ultimate Team coins (I only play Ultimate Team), if it wasn't for those, I'd just buy FIFA on the PS3.

Tell you something though, if it was my son, I'd buy the PS3 purely on the basis that it has a smaller controller, has no membership requirement for online, and Jak and Dexter just got released in HD on the PS3 (I grew up playing it).

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218157p1.html

Edited by: "Wotwot123" 25th Mar 2012
My eldest is ten and there's no way he's getting a console in his room.
He won't even get a TV for another few years.
newbie1001

I would go with a Wii for a 9 year old. can't beat Mario Kart for a … I would go with a Wii for a 9 year old. can't beat Mario Kart for a youngster

Cant beat it at 21 either
Banned
YeezY911

xbox is more of a social console and by the looks of the games my nieces … xbox is more of a social console and by the looks of the games my nieces have alot better for the kiddies, plus with sky, iplayer etc sony havnt got a leg to stand on

none of that makes sense.
Xbox 100%
Banned
Lazycouple

Xbox 100%

PS3 100%
lol
Not even going to read the thread.

Ask child + ask child's friends what they have = console that should be purchased.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants