Which gas, electricity and water provider do you use and how much do you pay?

Posted 24th Dec 2019
Trying to gage an idea of utility costs opposed to size of the house (i.e bedrooms, bathrooms...).

We currently live in a 4 bed house (4th being the converted loft) with a outbuilding mainly used for storage. We have 2 bathrooms and 1 downstairs toilet. We are a family of 7.

We are with SSE and paying around £250 for gas and electric per month and about £45 for water with Water Thames.

We are moving soon to what currently is a 3 bed house but will be extending it to 4 within the fkrst year and want to cut these cuts down as much as possible.
Community Updates
Ask
43 Comments
Can’t comment on water, it’s part of council tax up here. As for gas/electric, £116 a month with bulb in a 5bed house. We do have solar panels, solar boosted hot water and smart heating valves in every room.
£250 is too high. Odds on your outbuilding has some form of heating and the loft isn’t very well insulated.
Is your house the Blackpool tower ?
£250.00 a month for Gas and Electric.
Thats insane.

2 People in a 3 bed my self and pay Bulb £55.15 a month, But as one person is disabled she gets Warm Home discount of £140.00.
So would be £67.00 a month.
At the moment Im over £300.00 in credit, and only need the heating on 1 hour first thing and 1 hour at around 18.00pm.
We dont sit in the house and freeze, the heating goes on whenever its needed.

Your bill is crazy.
You would need the heating on 24/7 for bills that high. Have you got a gas leak ?
Also, it's irrelevant who you're water supply is with as you can't change suppliers.
bigwheels24/12/2019 09:07

Is your house the Blackpool tower ?£250.00 a month for Gas and …Is your house the Blackpool tower ?£250.00 a month for Gas and Electric.Thats insane.2 People in a 3 bed my self and pay Bulb £55.15 a month, But as one person is disabled she gets Warm Home discount of £140.00.So would be £67.00 a month.At the moment Im over £300.00 in credit, and only need the heating on 1 hour first thing and 1 hour at around 18.00pm.We dont sit in the house and freeze, the heating goes on whenever its needed.Your bill is crazy.You would need the heating on 24/7 for bills that high. Have you got a gas leak ?

Not that I am aware of, we had a quick inspection done by a builder and they did not mention anything about leaks. We dont even use heating a lot ourselves.

Are bulb reliable?
walrus424/12/2019 09:09

Also, it's irrelevant who you're water supply is with as you can't change …Also, it's irrelevant who you're water supply is with as you can't change suppliers.

True now that I thought of it
walrus424/12/2019 09:09

Also, it's irrelevant who you're water supply is with as you can't change …Also, it's irrelevant who you're water supply is with as you can't change suppliers.

Yes but getting a meter helped us cut down the bill as it is just the 2 of us. May not be a good idea for a large family though.

OP - given your family size, what you need is an energy supplier with a low rate for actual consumption but will likely have a high standing charge. So please use multiple comparison sites to see this and ensure you do a "whole market" comparison. A spreadsheet may be useful to have for this.
Edited by: "bozo007" 24th Dec 2019
£45 a week all in as we are total electric. Heating on 365, 24/7, controlled by thermostats
Adam_Khan1Tc24/12/2019 09:13

Not that I am aware of, we had a quick inspection done by a builder and …Not that I am aware of, we had a quick inspection done by a builder and they did not mention anything about leaks. We dont even use heating a lot ourselves. Are bulb reliable?

Had no real issues so far, They offer a referral of £50.00 to join for both people.
Always helpful and polite on the phone, any problems are sorted quickly.
Last month the direct debit was not taken on the 13th. I called and they took it out a week later and then fixed it this month.
I was on hold one time for 10/15 mins, A month later I got an email saying sorry and have £10.00 credit.
Then 1 week later got the same email and another £10.00.
So im happy.
bigwheels24/12/2019 09:19

Had no real issues so far, They offer a referral of £50.00 to join for …Had no real issues so far, They offer a referral of £50.00 to join for both people.Always helpful and polite on the phone, any problems are sorted quickly.Last month the direct debit was not taken on the 13th. I called and they took it out a week later and then fixed it this month.I was on hold one time for 10/15 mins, A month later I got an email saying sorry and have £10.00 credit.Then 1 week later got the same email and another £10.00.So im happy.

Thanks, I'll look them up. Are you tied in any lenght of contract with them?
airfix24/12/2019 09:17

£45 a week all in as we are total electric. Heating on 365, 24/7, …£45 a week all in as we are total electric. Heating on 365, 24/7, controlled by thermostats

It costs me about £50 a month in a 1 bed flat with the heating on for 1 hour a day
Arto24/12/2019 09:23

It costs me about £50 a month in a 1 bed flat with the heating on for 1 …It costs me about £50 a month in a 1 bed flat with the heating on for 1 hour a day

That's crap, ours is a big 4/5 bed 3 storey house, heating on 24 hours a day at 20 degrees
airfix24/12/2019 09:25

That's crap, ours is a big 4/5 bed 3 storey house, heating on 24 hours a …That's crap, ours is a big 4/5 bed 3 storey house, heating on 24 hours a day at 20 degrees

I’m on pay as you go, they won’t put me on dd until I’ve been in the property a year as it’s my first place
Arto24/12/2019 09:26

I’m on pay as you go, they won’t put me on dd until I’ve been in the prope …I’m on pay as you go, they won’t put me on dd until I’ve been in the property a year as it’s my first place

Thats a joke, I would look at switching even if you have to pay an exit fee. For eg Bulb will give you £50 credit off a referral and pay exit fees of upto £60 per fuel.
Is it your credit score thats holding you back.

help.bulb.co.uk/hc/…ier
"We are moving soon". Surely then you should be telling us what size house you're moving to, not moving from? It's pointless giving you advice on costs for a 4 bedroom house if you're moving into a 1 bedroom flat, or a 36 bedroom castle, or a mid-block apartment.....
bigwheels24/12/2019 09:38

Thats a joke, I would look at switching even if you have to pay an exit …Thats a joke, I would look at switching even if you have to pay an exit fee. For eg Bulb will give you £50 credit off a referral and pay exit fees of upto £60 per fuel.Is it your credit score thats holding you back.https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001227591-Claiming-exit-fees-charged-by-your-previous-supplier

Possibly as I’ve just started to get it up but I’m waiting until February once I’ve used all my whd otherwise I’ll lose out
cis_groupie24/12/2019 09:39

"We are moving soon". Surely then you should be telling us what size …"We are moving soon". Surely then you should be telling us what size house you're moving to, not moving from? It's pointless giving you advice on costs for a 4 bedroom house if you're moving into a 1 bedroom flat, or a 36 bedroom castle, or a mid-block apartment.....

Will amend the description. Moving to what currently is a 3 bed with 1 bath and a small kitchen. We will extend this within year to 4 beds and a kitchen extention.
bigwheels24/12/2019 09:32

Comment deleted

Good shout on the car insurance - will look into that as well.
We can recommend Bulb..
4bed 3bath £77 with bulb.
Cost per month is pointless.

Firstly, almost everyone is on a monthly direct debit and so pay the same each month irrespective of what they actually use. Secondly, If I use x amount of energy in a month and we swapped houses, I can guarantee, you won't use the same amount.

The only way to compare costs is to compare the unit rates and the standing charge.
op seems normal... family of 8 in 4 bed house elec/gas £220 per month. lots of home cooking on gas stove and gas central heating on 8 hrs a day. 2 bathrooms hot baths every day
Depends area u live, I was with utility point switched across to outfox the market look at your current rates eg the unit price and daily charge then compare it my gas unit is 8p all in and electric 25p I normally fix mine same goes out each month
Pandamansays24/12/2019 10:08

Cost per month is pointless.Firstly, almost everyone is on a monthly …Cost per month is pointless.Firstly, almost everyone is on a monthly direct debit and so pay the same each month irrespective of what they actually use. Secondly, If I use x amount of energy in a month and we swapped houses, I can guarantee, you won't use the same amount.The only way to compare costs is to compare the unit rates and the standing charge.

After a bit of looking around that's how I've done it instead of going on montgly cost.

Nothing a spreadsheet and figures next to each other for a like to like comparison to help find the best deal.

I've just switched over to Green energy from Ron, waiting for it to be finalised. Second cheapest after Outfoxthemarket but reading reviews I opted against them.

Based on consumption this year so far I should save about £280 quid
shef007224/12/2019 10:20

Depends area u live, I was with utility point switched across to outfox …Depends area u live, I was with utility point switched across to outfox the market look at your current rates eg the unit price and daily charge then compare it my gas unit is 8p all in and electric 25p I normally fix mine same goes out each month

I made the same switch recently. I need a low standing charge as our consumption is low.
I'm in a 3 bed, pretty heavy user of gas/electric. £130pm DD. Just about covers it. £250 sounds far too much. My water is similar amount. If more than a nuclear family avoid water meters.
.MUFC.24/12/2019 10:59

I'm in a 3 bed, pretty heavy user of gas/electric. £130pm DD. Just about …I'm in a 3 bed, pretty heavy user of gas/electric. £130pm DD. Just about covers it. £250 sounds far too much. My water is similar amount. If more than a nuclear family avoid water meters.

I am avoiding the water meter like plague - kids!
Adam_Khan1Tc24/12/2019 11:05

I am avoiding the water meter like plague - kids!

I have two dogs so it’s cheaper for me to pay dd for that with the discount. I pay just under £20 pm for my water and it’s unlimited
Arto24/12/2019 11:29

I have two dogs so it’s cheaper for me to pay dd for that with the d …I have two dogs so it’s cheaper for me to pay dd for that with the discount. I pay just under £20 pm for my water and it’s unlimited

What discount do you get?
Arto24/12/2019 13:09

I get 50% off because of a low income

Ok
Adam_Khan1Tc24/12/2019 13:10

Ok

Look for water sure plus ( No water meter fitted ), for over 65 or disabled and use more water due to your condition.
Water sure ( water meter fitted ) is for low income, Certain benefits and 3 or more kids. From memory.
A third option is asking for a survey for a water meter. If it cant be fitted there is a tariff in the middle, the base the charge kind of like a water meter, on how many live in the property.
Here is Thames waters link to get started with.

thameswater.co.uk/my-…eme
Adam_Khan1Tc24/12/2019 09:13

True now that I thought of it

Unless you use water saving devices like shower airaters and dual flush toilets
Fit a thermostat with a timer, even if the house is never empty, could save you a few quid at night.
An internet connected one will give you finer control and flexability, but you'll pay for it (unless you can find s bargain on HUKD)
esar24/12/2019 17:15

Fit a thermostat with a timer, even if the house is never empty, could …Fit a thermostat with a timer, even if the house is never empty, could save you a few quid at night.An internet connected one will give you finer control and flexability, but you'll pay for it (unless you can find s bargain on HUKD)

Will have a look.
£75 per month for gas and electric with eon, house bigger than one you stated.
before was £95 with BG.

2 thermostats, 1 upstairs, one downstairs set to 20c as like it warm.
Edited by: "AMaky" 24th Dec 2019
2bed flat 1 bathroom.
Average £40 for gas and electricity with Octopus energy (they have a referral as as scheme, have to refer you and we both get £50 each)
Water is on meter pay £30 a month and rebated every 6 months.
airfix24/12/2019 09:17

£45 a week all in as we are total electric. Heating on 365, 24/7, …£45 a week all in as we are total electric. Heating on 365, 24/7, controlled by thermostats

Heating on in the summer
You can’t compare houses, every one will be different, get you figures out and go on a site like MSE and see what’s the best deal. And don’t look at Bulb, they aren’t the cheapest anymore and most people are just after referral fees
eslick24/12/2019 23:50

You can’t compare houses, every one will be different, get you figures out …You can’t compare houses, every one will be different, get you figures out and go on a site like MSE and see what’s the best deal. And don’t look at Bulb, they aren’t the cheapest anymore and most people are just after referral fees

Thanks
cliosport6524/12/2019 22:05

Heating on in the summer

The system is on but it turns itself off, I never touch it. All automatic.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions