Expired

Which hard drive for Wii U?

Found 20th Apr 2014
Thinking of getting Wii U here. Both 8 & 32gb seem awfully small capacity, especially when compared to PS4/Xb1. I guess it's just to keep the price down? Seems odd because memory doesn't look too expensive to buy now.
Anyway - can anyone recommend a hard drive that you use for Wii U. Size & price too if you know em.
Cheers all!
Community Updates
AskHard DriveWiiWii U
21 Comments
Games! I'm assuming installing games will soon fill an 8gb one up. Even 32 seems tiny. Am I missing something here?
32gb one for the wii u will be more than enough
jamstaruk1972

32gb one for the wii u will be more than enough

I wonder why PlayStation has 500gb then? Xb1 too.
The 8gb has less than 4gb free memory to install games which isn't enough to install Wii Fit U (for example) so you definitely need a drive if you buy a basic & intend downloading full games at all. You can use any external drive but Nintendo recommend one with external power supply rather than USB powered. I bought a 180gb drive from eBay for less than £20 delivered which is far bigger than I need. 32gb is probably fine - at least for a while (or possibly forever) - just depends on what you do with it.
bernardsfingers

The 8gb has less than 4gb free memory to install games which isn't enough … The 8gb has less than 4gb free memory to install games which isn't enough to install Wii Fit U (for example) so you definitely need a drive if you buy a basic & intend downloading full games at all. You can use any external drive but Nintendo recommend one with external power supply rather than USB powered. I bought a 180gb drive from eBay for less than £20 delivered which is far bigger than I need. 32gb is probably fine - at least for a while (or possibly forever) - just depends on what you do with it.

Hey thanks.
That's about what I thought. The external drive just plugs into Wii U thru USB, I'd assume? - with another cable to the power socket?
jased1

Hey thanks. That's about what I thought. The external drive just plugs … Hey thanks. That's about what I thought. The external drive just plugs into Wii U thru USB, I'd assume? - with another cable to the power socket?

Yeah there are 2 USB sockets on the back so the drive would connect there. People have used USB-powered drives using a Y-cable plugged in to both USB slots to supply enough power - not done this myself & not recommended by Nintendo but apparently works depending on power saving features of the drive. Otherwise the external power supply needs to be plugged in to a power socket. The Wii U has a power supply, the game pad has a separate power supply & then you would need another socket for the external drive so you would need to make sure you have enough sockets.
Another thing to consider is that when the Wii U formats the drive it can no longer be used for anything else - ie it can't be partitioned to be used with both Windows & the Wii U so there's no point getting a 1tb drive since you would never use it all (unless Nintendo introduce some app or store to download films or something).
bernardsfingers

Yeah there are 2 USB sockets on the back so the drive would connect … Yeah there are 2 USB sockets on the back so the drive would connect there. People have used USB-powered drives using a Y-cable plugged in to both USB slots to supply enough power - not done this myself & not recommended by Nintendo but apparently works depending on power saving features of the drive. Otherwise the external power supply needs to be plugged in to a power socket. The Wii U has a power supply, the game pad has a separate power supply & then you would need another socket for the external drive so you would need to make sure you have enough sockets.

Nice one! Sounds silly, but it's a big factor really now when getting new elec stuff is as to what & where things have gotta be plugged in! I gotta go move big cabinet & TV unit now to see what, if any spare sockets I can find in amongst the tangled mess of cables & extensions hidden away behind stuff oO
Cheers!
bernardsfingers

Another thing to consider is that when the Wii U formats the drive it can … Another thing to consider is that when the Wii U formats the drive it can no longer be used for anything else - ie it can't be partitioned to be used with both Windows & the Wii U so there's no point getting a 1tb drive since you would never use it all (unless Nintendo introduce some app or store to download films or something).

Wow! U should write a book about this! lol
- you're making this all easy for me
1st thing I'd thought was to buy a 1 or 2tb drive! It'll be solely for Wii, so 256 - 500gb it is then. That'll save a few pennies too.
jased1

Wow! U should write a book about this! lol- you're making this all easy … Wow! U should write a book about this! lol- you're making this all easy for me 1st thing I'd thought was to buy a 1 or 2tb drive! It'll be solely for Wii, so 256 - 500gb it is then. That'll save a few pennies too.

If you're planning on buying a brand new one it's actually quite hard to buy one that's small. I originally bought a 500gb drive 2nd hand from Gumtree but thought that was a waste as I was probably using less than 10% of the space & can't see myself using anywhere near 500gb. I bid on a 180gb drive on eBay & won it for £19 including delivery & that's about the price similar sized drives go for on there. If you don't mind buying a 2nd hand drive then it'll probably be your cheapest option.
Actually I realise that the drive I bought was 160gb not 180gb but you get the idea!
bernardsfingers

Actually I realise that the drive I bought was 160gb not 180gb but you … Actually I realise that the drive I bought was 160gb not 180gb but you get the idea!

Yep. All slowly sinking in thanks!
Just to give you some idea of the install data of the physical titles and the ones that I own.

New super mario bros u 14mb
ac3 275mb
Zombi u 34mb
super mario 3d world 39mb
Splintercell blacklist 78mb
Injustice gods among us 657mb
Cod blops2 107mb

eShop titles are Trine 2 2046mb, star wars pinball 242mb, zen pinball 866mb, Zelda: a link to the past 23mb and double dragon 15mb leaving me with 20gb. so you shouldn't need a hard drive right away if you buy the premium Wii U.

Edited by: "Blankety_Blanker" 21st Apr 2014
Bashstreet

Just to give you some idea of the install data of the physical titles and … Just to give you some idea of the install data of the physical titles and the ones that I own.New super mario bros u 14mb ac3 275mb Zombi u 34mb super mario 3d world 39mbSplintercell blacklist 78mbInjustice gods among us 657mbCod blops2 107mbeShop titles are Trine 2 2046mb, star wars pinball 242mb, zen pinball 866mb, Zelda: a link to the past 23mb and double dragon 15mb leaving me with 20gb. so you shouldn't need a hard drive right away if you buy the premium Wii U.

Hey. That's really handy cheers. I didn't have a clue about usage, but at least I :)can sorta see now, roughly anyway.
Does it say on the game cases or manuals, or somewhere, how much space things take up?
Just 5 min b4 u sent ya bit, I'd bought a 32gig one
Gotta find some stuff to fill it up with now! lol
Thanks for you reply
dcx_badass

Just get a £15 64GB memory stick.

Really? I thought Nintendo don't recommend that because of something about games having to read & write to it all the time.
Have u done that... and is it fine?
jased1

Really? I thought Nintendo don't recommend that because of something … Really? I thought Nintendo don't recommend that because of something about games having to read & write to it all the time.Have u done that... and is it fine?

Yeah it's not recommended plus if you're thinking of buying a cheap 64gb flash drive I would doubt how long it would last when using it under normal conditions let alone as a replacement hdd.
bernardsfingers

Yeah it's not recommended plus if you're thinking of buying a cheap 64gb … Yeah it's not recommended plus if you're thinking of buying a cheap 64gb flash drive I would doubt how long it would last when using it under normal conditions let alone as a replacement hdd.

Yep. I've discovered many a time, that u get what u pay for! If ya know wot I mean

dcx_badass

Flash memory is more reliable than a hard drive, uses less power, has … Flash memory is more reliable than a hard drive, uses less power, has faster access times. I've used a flash drive for my regular Wii for years.

This one's got me thinking! Maybe wot I've read of Nintendo not advising to use these could be a bit dated now. I suppose sticks must be fit for the purpose they're designed & sold for.
I dunno! lol

dcx_badass

Flash memory is more reliable than a hard drive, uses less power, has … Flash memory is more reliable than a hard drive, uses less power, has faster access times. I've used a flash drive for my regular Wii for years.

The advice is not dated and will always apply to MLC with regards to P/E cycles e.g total bytes written.

If you are going to fill up the flash product and never delete and use another one once full then fair enough but for writing frequently which is erasing, write, write, you'll be affecting the endurance of the product.

I'm using a Samsung White S2 320GB with my WII U + Y/cable
dontasciime

The advice is not dated and will always apply to MLC with regards to P/E … The advice is not dated and will always apply to MLC with regards to P/E cycles e.g total bytes written.If you are going to fill up the flash product and never delete and use another one once full then fair enough but for writing frequently which is erasing, write, write, you'll be affecting the endurance of the product.I'm using a Samsung White S2 320GB with my WII U + Y/cable

'scuse my ignorance plz, but that would be using USB 2.0?
Yes. I've got loads of 3.5/ 2.5 HDDs / caddies to just try. If you've got some kicking around just try them either powered by psu or try single usb back of wii u and see if it works and is stable or jsut make sure on 2.5hdd by using a usb y/cable as an example.

Edited by: "dontasciime" 22nd Apr 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants