Which hard drive to go for (reliability) - 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2TB/3TB Toshiba or WD Green 2TB?

Found 24th Aug 2015
After deciding on a new NAS I thought I'd bang in a new HDD in to give me plenty of space. I currently have a 2TB Seagate Barracuda pulled from my desktop that was used to store and play games from. This was bought as part of a motherboard bundle and thus I had no control over brand/model. It's worked fine for over a year with no failure.

After reading though it seems Seagate are a "stay-clear" sorta' company for HDDs. Now I'm going to be making a trip to Scan in the morning as they seem the cheapest. Question is, what do I go for?

Seagate Barracuda 2TB st2000dm001 - scan.co.uk/pro…ncq

Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB - scan.co.uk/pro…oem

WD Green 2TB - scan.co.uk/pro…oem

Toshiba 3TB DT01ABA300 - scan.co.uk/pro…xed

I mean looking at it, if I'm going for the WD Green, could I get away with maybe paying an extra £6 to get the 3TB Toshiba drive?
Community Updates
10 Comments
I'd probably get the 3TB Toshiba drive just for the extra storage. If I was aiming for reliability I'd get a WD Red.
rev6

I'd probably get the 3TB Toshiba drive just for the extra storage. If I … I'd probably get the 3TB Toshiba drive just for the extra storage. If I was aiming for reliability I'd get a WD Red.

Seems best but never had a Toshiba drive, any good?
M0nk3h

Seems best but never had a Toshiba drive, any good?

I've had a couple, they're decent enough.
If it's nor NAS then I would go for WD, best WD Red as it's design to run in NAS and it's got longer warranty
Seagate are fine, they had a problematic 3TB drive a few years ago but I've not heard of anything more recently. I certainly wouldn't spend £50+ replacing it.

You can't rely on any hardrive to be reliable. You need a backup of any data you want to keep and reliability should only be looked on in terms of the likelyhood you'll need to pay for a replacement.
I've got WD Red in mine - went for those for the longer warranty.
Backblaze's Sep 2014 drive reliability report suggests Seagate's 1.5TB and 3TB offerings may not be an optimal choice, though their 4TB looks good:

backblaze.com/blo…14/

To be fair, Backblaze do run their drives a lot, and probably warmer than in home use, so their results are liable to be worse than you'll find in normal use at home.
amazon.co.uk/3-5…2tb £69.99 free postage
Don't buy green drives and don't buy OEM drives as the warranty is handled differently. Don't buy Red Pro 7200rpm as you really should be buying WD Black in that case.
Thank-you all for the responses. WD Red seems the best option then. Is it better to pair the drives (i.e buy 2x 2TB WD RED) or will it make a difference mixing? Reason I'm asking is I've got a perfectly working 2TB drive so it would be a shame to replace that.
Porsupah

Backblaze's Sep 2014 drive reliability report suggests Seagate's 1.5TB … Backblaze's Sep 2014 drive reliability report suggests Seagate's 1.5TB and 3TB offerings may not be an optimal choice

An optimal choice for running the drives flat out yeah, so it's no surprise the green drives tend to do badly (which the 1.5TB models are). IIRC Blackblaze had similar issues when they bought a batch of WD Green drives in the past.

Compare for example Hardware.fr's publication of return rates to a major french retailer of hardware between six months and a year old:
hardware.fr/art…tml

M0nk3h

Thank-you all for the responses. WD Red seems the best option then. Is it … Thank-you all for the responses. WD Red seems the best option then. Is it better to pair the drives (i.e buy 2x 2TB WD RED) or will it make a difference mixing? Reason I'm asking is I've got a perfectly working 2TB drive so it would be a shame to replace that.

There's no need to pair drives.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 24th Aug 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants