Groups

Which Hard Drive Upgrade for PS4?

Bought a 2TB seagate hard drive to upgrade internally a few years back but in the failed after a year (noises started coming from the drive). Weirdly, the hard drive works fine as a external HD when connected to a PC and the PS4 can see the drive but fails when initialising as internal or formatting as external.

I have the 500GB back in but need a upgrade as no storage left at all. My question is whether a 5TB external drive from Argos/Currys/Amazon is better than a 2TB Firecuda SSHD?

Either Seagate Expansion 5TB External £130 Argos, WD Elements 5TB £131 on Amazon

Or Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD £87

Or higher external under £150 or the NYKO Data Bank option

Thanks for any help

8 Comments

i would say go for the 5tb external hard drive. Move all games and apps onto the external hard drive.

Original Poster

dealer221

i would say go for the 5tb external hard drive. Move all games and apps … i would say go for the 5tb external hard drive. Move all games and apps onto the external hard drive.

Is the internal drive faster in terms of read and write speeds? I obviously don't want something that'll take longer to loads that's all

The 5TB sounds more of a value for money but the 2TB internal does too as it is most likely quicker

Kashk

Is the internal drive faster in terms of read and write speeds? I … Is the internal drive faster in terms of read and write speeds? I obviously don't want something that'll take longer to loads that's allThe 5TB sounds more of a value for money but the 2TB internal does too as it is most likely quicker

They is a digital foundry video on that, watch it and decide but iirc, there is not much different.

Firecuda will obviously be faster as it's a hybrid drive, 3 or 4 loads of a game/level and your at SSD speeds, plus it's covered by a 5 year warranty. I have one and don't regret it.

Original Poster

4Real2016

Firecuda will obviously be faster as it's a hybrid drive, 3 or 4 loads of … Firecuda will obviously be faster as it's a hybrid drive, 3 or 4 loads of a game/level and your at SSD speeds, plus it's covered by a 5 year warranty. I have one and don't regret it.

But is it faster in the original ps4? I'm not too bothered about speed more than space. I guess I could go for external later down the line as they will more than likely go down in price near Christmas etc.

Most of the reviews of the SSHD were prior to the software update which allowed external HDD support so there aren't many reviews or comparisons out there comparing internal SSHD vs external.

Kashk

I'm not too bothered about speed more than space

Really? didn't you say the following

Kashk

Is the internal drive faster in terms of read and write speeds? I … Is the internal drive faster in terms of read and write speeds? I obviously don't want something that'll take longer to loads that's all

Original PS4 uses SATA II the same as PS4 Slim, so yes it's faster in the original as well, only the PS4 Pro has SATA III but it doesn't really make much difference as there's a bottleneck in the system which limits load time performance from drives.

There are only small differences between external drives and internal drives, including when using an SSD in either case.
    Edited by: "4Real2016" 6th Jul

Original Poster

Kashk

I'm not too bothered about speed more than space

Kashk

Is the internal drive faster in terms of read and write speeds? I … Is the internal drive faster in terms of read and write speeds? I obviously don't want something that'll take longer to loads that's all

Yes but what I meant was I would take more storage capacity over reducing load times by a few seconds.

Does anyone know if the above external drives are any good? Performance wise?

Hi mate, as I have advised many people - Go for the Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD. You will not regret it, it loads your games faster (10-20secs) so you get the tanks in BF quicker (or which ever game you play). I had the 1TB version and have recently upgraded as 1TB is not enough and will be using the 1TB as an external for digital games -so 3TB SHHD in total.. b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions