Which Heater is cheaper to run and how much is the running cost?

Found 5th Nov 2012
How much does an convetor heater cost to run per hour on average? I was thinking about buying a heater for my house and I wasn't sure which type is cheaper to run per hour between a convetor and a oil filled radiator?

If you could please lay me out the pro's and con's for each I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Community Updates
MiscHeaterRunning
19 Comments
have you considered calor gas? Chucks a lot more heat out than an oil filled radiator and works out much cheaper.
danmc

have you considered calor gas? Chucks a lot more heat out than an oil … have you considered calor gas? Chucks a lot more heat out than an oil filled radiator and works out much cheaper.

Have you bought a bottle of gas lately? (_;)
To answer the OP, any electrical heater use roughly the same amount of electricity . so 1 kw uses 1 unit per hour.
Inactive

Have you bought a bottle of gas lately? (_;)

No its been a good ten years to be honest, hardly surprising its shot up considering we get **** over on everything else.
The running cost will depend on your electricity rate, I've found oil filled radiators to be more efficient at heating rooms in the past, where as a fan heater it better for heating a small area or aiming it somewhere.
Inactive

To answer the OP, any electrical heater use roughly the same amount of … To answer the OP, any electrical heater use roughly the same amount of electricity . so 1 kw uses 1 unit per hour.

agreed but not entirely a convector heater heats up almost instantly but does not retain heat when switched off whereas a ceramic heater gives off a more directional heat and an oil filled heat slower but retains the heat longer after switching off

a bit more expensive and depending on your electrical supply (economy 7 needed) is storage heaters - they heat up on cheap rate electricity then release the retained heat during the day

I did find 3 available on freecycle and was already on economy 7 so I only had to pay initial outlay for cabling/timers (I got lucky)

Calor gas type heaters are like gas fires and are cheaper to run compared to most electrical types but they also cause damp/condensation (something to be aware of)

If just a small room for the odd few hours I would use oil filled
If big room or several rooms look at storage radiators

Edited by: "philphil61" 5th Nov 2012
philphil61

agreed but not entirely a convector heater heats up almost instantly but … agreed but not entirely a convector heater heats up almost instantly but does not retain heat when switched off whereas a ceramic heater gives off a more directional heat and an oil filled heat slower but retains the heat longer after switching off

so in other words ...1kw uses 1 unit per hour
the fact that different rate occur at different times is for the OP to consider

i think oil filled is cheaper than convection.
brilly

so in other words ...1kw uses 1 unit per hourthe fact that different rate … so in other words ...1kw uses 1 unit per hourthe fact that different rate occur at different times is for the OP to consider

hmmm I saw ur comment about another thread about another posters inability to give a responsible answer (unfortunately ur and his posts have been removed but u might have seen I "liked" what u said)

You gave a reasonable answer and if you read the first few word of my reply to your comment

agreed but not entirely..........

you will see something positive

If you cannot under this and want to argue my points then by all means substantiate your criticism of my valid points with good sound information. I am not here to discredit your original reply but add to it's value

I normally burn my furniture this time of year & chuck a coupe of old car tyres on for good measure

brilly

so in other words ...1kw uses 1 unit per hourthe fact that different … so in other words ...1kw uses 1 unit per hourthe fact that different rate occur at different times is for the OP to consider

agreed but not entirely..........

nothing really wrong with your points only that they cloud things a bit as average running costs only vary in this case if the times used varies
op didn't give any proper info...whether need for single room /whole house / night / day / burst / constant

for my potential use it would be the reverse of your suggested possible situation.
i'd want the heat at night as the room is less used during the day so the retention of the oil radiators would be what i needed.

similarly (well opposite i guess really) would be if i needed some heat fast during the day but wasn't really going to be in the room much then the 'instant on/off' type heat of a regular convection heater would be what i needed.

ofc a oilfilled radiator with fan heater combo would give a bit of both.

storage heaters might be what they need but need skill and/or luck to get free/install
Edited by: "brilly" 5th Nov 2012
Thinking outside the box, have you considered setting yourself on fire?

Other than the initial warming effect of the flames lapping up around your head you will also get a few weeks in a warm and cosy burns unit rent free!
Original Poster
danmc

Thinking outside the box, have you considered setting yourself on fire? … Thinking outside the box, have you considered setting yourself on fire? Other than the initial warming effect of the flames lapping up around your head you will also get a few weeks in a warm and cosy burns unit rent free!

You mean like this below

[img]t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRadEeyr5k_i8Ua_U_DNP-KdcmvHCtFBiyRZwarW3Gp43XTSbPksQ[/img]

Edited by: "Hiptobesquare" 5th Nov 2012
Buy a plasma TV, mine kicks off loads of heat - and you get the benefit of superior picture quality
sancho1983

Buy a plasma TV, mine kicks off loads of heat - and you get the benefit … Buy a plasma TV, mine kicks off loads of heat - and you get the benefit of superior picture quality

Or run a server farm, bit noisy though lol.
dga

Half a like for the condensation. CH4 + 2x O2 -- CO2 + 2x H2O(That has … Half a like for the condensation. CH4 + 2x O2 --> CO2 + 2x H2O(That has nothing to do with TV stations, mobile phone service providers or horror movies )

hukd786?.....
dga

http://www.hotukdeals.com/profile/hukd786 ??Woosh! oO

hotukdeals.com/mis…441
top 1% !!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants