Which hose adapter do I need please

Posted 27th May
Hi all. My future plan is to turn one of these into an outdoor tap but until that is done I wish to connect my hose (hotukdeals.com/dea…289) to it and run it out the back door. My problem is that it always leaks between the two connectors unless they are at a very specific angle. What am I doing wrong please? What do I need to buy?

The top is 3/4 inch and the bottom in 1 inch.

Thanks so much.3472886-pXDK0.jpg3472886-hZ6jg.jpg3472886-PCtOy.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
33 Comments
Will everything I connect leak? Or is the homebase version just low quality and I should therefore just go with one of the following:

or

Thanks
Could be a low quality green connector with not as tight manufacturing tolerances. I had similar before using Wilkinson’s connectors swapped to hozelock and leak went away

So the grey and yellow in top pic, yellow and red goes on nozzle end of hose
Edited by: "7ommy.78" 27th May
Those two internal points are designed for fitting pipes and olives with nuts etc or for washing machine adapter etc.

The hose adapters are designed to fit on external tap threads, shown in pic, the measurements are minutely different but will be enough to cause a leak.

40894078-0CjUM.jpg
7ommy.7827/05/2020 22:25

Could be a low quality green connector with not as tight manufacturing …Could be a low quality green connector with not as tight manufacturing tolerances. I had similar before using Wilkinson’s connectors swapped to hozelock and leak went awaySo the grey and yellow in top pic, yellow and red goes on nozzle end of hose

This. Also check that you have correctly fitted the connector on to the end of the hose as leaks here are common. Make sure you have a clean cut hose end and place it in some hot water to soften the plastic prior to fitting into the connector
ArcadeAssassin27/05/2020 22:29

Those two internal points are designed for fitting pipes and olives with …Those two internal points are designed for fitting pipes and olives with nuts etc or for washing machine adapter etc. The hose adapters are designed to fit on external tap threads, shown in pic, the measurements are minutely different but will be enough to cause a leak. [Image]

Nice one. so is there a convertor that can turn the internal point into an external point?

Not that I don't believe you, but when I turned on the flow in the top pic, there was no leak between the pipe and the adapter, the water shot out. When I put on the hose connector, the leak was between the adaptor and the hose connector, not between the adaptor and the pipe. wouldn't that suggest that the adaptor had a leakproof seal with the pipe?

I like to know how things work.

Thanks.
ArcadeAssassin27/05/2020 22:29

Those two internal points are designed for fitting pipes and olives with …Those two internal points are designed for fitting pipes and olives with nuts etc or for washing machine adapter etc. The hose adapters are designed to fit on external tap threads, shown in pic, the measurements are minutely different but will be enough to cause a leak. [Image]

Interesting. Didn't know this.
On reflection, you could of course just buy one of the taps in my previous photo and fit it to the top connector. The attach hose connector to the tap as previously described.
Xippi27/05/2020 22:31

This. Also check that you have correctly fitted the connector on to the …This. Also check that you have correctly fitted the connector on to the end of the hose as leaks here are common. Make sure you have a clean cut hose end and place it in some hot water to soften the plastic prior to fitting into the connector

No leaks between the hose and it's connector, as per the pic. I even opened it and saw it was clean cut.
Probably the cheap, Plastic connector. Maybe try some thread sealer tape?
youtube.com/wat…3AE
I'd just put an outdoor tap on sooner rather than later and avoid the leaks.
Just get a cheap, long drill bit like i did. It will be worth it and save all the hassle of the leaking water
Two things,
Make sure you have the correct check valves for the regs.
Don't trip over the hope pipe or you'll pull this lot and have a very big leak. Hope hopefully none of those are gas pipes!!!

This is one job that needs doing properly. You can do it yourself very cheaply but do it properly.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 27th May
Compression fittings have an internal taper for the olive and the end of the thread is quite narrow and will cut into the rubber washer in your hose adaptor, making a very poor seal. A garden tap has a wide flat surface on the end for the seal to press against.

I once made the mistake of connecting the flexible pipes that came with a kitchen tap directly to the thread on the isolation valves, as suggested in its installation instructions and tightening the cold up to try to stop it leaking cut straight through the silicone washer on the end of the flexi-pipe.

You can buy fittings for flexible hoses, but they are only 1/2" and a standard hose connector is 3/4" :- toolstation.com/tap…081 (reviews suggest these ones are a bit short!)

So, I'd second the suggestion of buying a bit of copper pipe and temporarily fitting an outside tap after your valve.
Edited by: "melted" 27th May
themachman27/05/2020 22:53

Probably the cheap, Plastic connector. Maybe try some thread sealer …Probably the cheap, Plastic connector. Maybe try some thread sealer tape?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65i2vGWi3AEI'd just put an outdoor tap on sooner rather than later and avoid the leaks. Just get a cheap, long drill bit like i did. It will be worth it and save all the hassle of the leaking water

You might be right.

I followed this video but I do I have to buy a flamethrower to "solder"? youtube.com/wat…ZQM
I think there's another size you need. I've got the hozelock which have three fittings, one was very close to fitting maybe 1 or 2m bigger needed, none fit. Contacted them and after answering a few questions they sent one that fit which I've lost now and have no idea what size it was tried to buy from Asda but none fit and there was a few different sizes. So will be getting in touch again.
Edited by: "MR1123" 27th May
YOU MUST FIT A SUITABLE CHECK VALVE (Google might be useful here)

myjobquote.co.uk/que…tap
Edited by: "joyf4536" 28th May
joyf453628/05/2020 00:09

YOU MUST FIT A SUITABLE CHECK VALVE (Google might be useful …YOU MUST FIT A SUITABLE CHECK VALVE (Google might be useful here)https://www.myjobquote.co.uk/questions/do-i-need-a-double-check-valve-for-a-garden-tap

Thank you. I thought this might have been on the garden hose connector given that it has an arrow. Thank you for the enlightenment.
MadeDixonsCry28/05/2020 00:17

Thank you. I thought this might have been on the garden hose connector …Thank you. I thought this might have been on the garden hose connector given that it has an arrow. Thank you for the enlightenment.

It COULD be built into the tap or you can put one in-line.

screwfix.com/p/d….ds

Personally I'd VERY FIRMLY mount a garden tap to the wall, run a pipe back to your connector, there are various ways of doing this with a double check valve somewhere in the system. (Somebody else could well advise me that the regs have tightened further)
You need to add a length of 15mm copper. You just cannot add a plastic hose connection.
There ARE some kits on fleabay that tap into an existing 15mm pipe to give you a connection for an outside tap.
Personally I would not ever use one but the do exist

ebay.co.uk/itm…X8H

But think in this case how you would isolate the supply if you had a leak. As I said I would not use one but I mention it before someone else does.
joyf453628/05/2020 00:27

There ARE some kits on fleabay that tap into an existing 15mm pipe to give …There ARE some kits on fleabay that tap into an existing 15mm pipe to give you a connection for an outside tap.Personally I would not ever use one but the do existhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Green-Blade-Through-Wall-Brass-Outside-Garden-Tap-Kit-meets-Water-Regulations-uk/174296395559?epid=22033703597&hash=item2894dfef27:g:rIoAAOSwDjNezX8HBut think in this case how you would isolate the supply if you had a leak. As I said I would not use one but I mention it before someone else does.

£30 quid?
How much should I expect to pay a local tradesman that actually knows what they're doing to install a tap?
MadeDixonsCry28/05/2020 00:33

£30 quid?How much should I expect to pay a local tradesman that actually …£30 quid?How much should I expect to pay a local tradesman that actually knows what they're doing to install a tap?

Depends on where you want your outside tap. Is it the other side of that wall?
Willy_Wonka28/05/2020 00:34

Depends on where you want your outside tap. Is it the other side of that …Depends on where you want your outside tap. Is it the other side of that wall?

Yes, just the other side of that wall. The pipe you see going out is from the boiler and it goes out to an air brick.
MadeDixonsCry28/05/2020 00:33

£30 quid?How much should I expect to pay a local tradesman that actually …£30 quid?How much should I expect to pay a local tradesman that actually knows what they're doing to install a tap?

If the tap was close by hubby says it would take him about 45mins to an hour max (it never takes him long to finish anything!)
Materials around £20-£25
MadeDixonsCry28/05/2020 00:36

Yes, just the other side of that wall. The pipe you see going out is from …Yes, just the other side of that wall. The pipe you see going out is from the boiler and it goes out to an air brick.

None or those are gas pipes are they?
MadeDixonsCry28/05/2020 00:36

Yes, just the other side of that wall. The pipe you see going out is from …Yes, just the other side of that wall. The pipe you see going out is from the boiler and it goes out to an air brick.

Just asked hubby & if it is directly the other side of that wall so you can drill a hole straight through it & that is where the tap is going it would be about £30 plus a labour. About £90 all in.
Willy_Wonka28/05/2020 00:42

Just asked hubby & if it is directly the other side of that wall so you …Just asked hubby & if it is directly the other side of that wall so you can drill a hole straight through it & that is where the tap is going it would be about £30 plus a labour. About £90 all in.

Sounds about right, it's not difficult at all if you know what you are doing but like anything if you really don't (even the basics) it's best to learn first.
joyf453628/05/2020 00:40

None or those are gas pipes are they?

Sorry you had to ask twice. Yes, I'm pretty sure one is gas. They are all the pipes that connect to a WB combi-boiler
MadeDixonsCry28/05/2020 00:49

Sorry you had to ask twice. Yes, I'm pretty sure one is gas. They are all …Sorry you had to ask twice. Yes, I'm pretty sure one is gas. They are all the pipes that connect to a WB combi-boiler

So your first idea is a big no no. Imagine you connect a hosepipe, someone pulls it or trips over it and tugs at this lot including the gas pipe and ....... well let's leave it there. This is not the thing to learn on. I say again it's an easy job if you know what you are doing but please don't even think of using a 'flamethrower' around here (not that you needed to).
MadeDixonsCry28/05/2020 00:49

Sorry you had to ask twice. Yes, I'm pretty sure one is gas. They are all …Sorry you had to ask twice. Yes, I'm pretty sure one is gas. They are all the pipes that connect to a WB combi-boiler

I am pretty sure It is cold water unless you had a very bad gas engineer. He has gone to bed now.
joyf453628/05/2020 00:55

So your first idea is a big no no. Imagine you connect a hosepipe, someone …So your first idea is a big no no. Imagine you connect a hosepipe, someone pulls it or trips over it and tugs at this lot including the gas pipe and ....... well let's leave it there. This is not the thing to learn on. I say again it's an easy job if you know what you are doing but please don't even think of using a 'flamethrower' around here (not that you needed to).

They are water fittings not gas
Willy_Wonka28/05/2020 00:58

They are water fittings not gas

You sure about that 22mm in the middle? Looks like a condensing combi set up.

The Pipes are the same, gas or water.
I see 5 pipes, this COULD be cold in hot out (15mm!) plus flow and return and condensing drain with gas supply out of shot - or maybe not.
The boiler is WB Greenstar 30i
MadeDixonsCry28/05/2020 01:12

The boiler is WB Greenstar 30i

Thanks for that. The advice stands however. A proper tap fixed firmly to the wall (to fix the hosepipe to) with the correct type check valve in the system. From the tap there is normally a 15mm copper pipe fixed with an olive in a compression fitting. this can be then attached to a solid or flexible pipe to connect to your existing fitting (or a combination of the two).
40905674-i2LBf.jpgI'd be more inclined to connect that bayonet fitting to that spare washing machine valve pointing downwards. You won't have to use the reducing bush either which will reduce the risk of leaks. Make sure the rubber washer in the bayonet fitting is in good condition and nip it up with a pair of grips.
Edited by: "Broxy" 28th May
Post a comment
@
    Text