Which iPad to upgrade to from iPad Mini 2?

Posted 24th Dec 2019
Hello everyone,

I have had my iPad Mini 2 for quite some time now - roughly 4 or 5 years. It is still working absolutely fine but has just slowed down a little bit.

In terms of upgrading, which iPad would be a good upgrade from my iPad Mini 2? Ideally, I like the idea of having a bigger iPad (10.2 or above) but the top models (Pro etc) are just too expensive.

I have a 64GB Mini 2 and that's enough storage for me as I have quite a lot of apps/games installed on it. Only use it for browsing the internet and streaming videos etc.

What does everyone think?

Thank you in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:S earch?search=iPad+mini&go=Go

The new 2019 mini seems the one, as the release before was the mini 4 released in 2015, specs for Memory and ghz have vastly improved.. always stay within a few generations of new with Apple
I find game pay the best cash prices for trade in, I tend to keep my Apple box in the attic so it’s in perfect condition and easier to sell on

I have a mini 4 and find it a good size and weight, had an iPad Air 2 that is the wife’s and tbh I now don’t like the bigger size anymore
Edited by: "whatyadoinsucka" 24th Dec 2019
I'm in the same boat, have a mini 2 but my daughter has pretty much taken ownership of it! I'm leaning towards the new mini as I do like the size. If you want bigger one then also check apples refurbished section in their website, some good reductions and all refurbished by apple and with the same full warranty as a new one.
The iPad Air seems like the best bet, the base model comes with 64GB (which you said was enough) and it has the newer Apple A12 SoC rather than the A10 SoC used in the standard iPad.

Also the normal iPad comes with 32GB storage and once you increase it you will only be £30 shy of the base 64GB iPad Air.
Edited by: "Gormond" 24th Dec 2019
I've got an Ipad mini which is no longer supported, like you I thought Ooo let's get a bigger screen and bought an Ipad Pro 9.7... Prefer the mini myself.
whatyadoinsucka24/12/2019 05:41

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:S earch?search=iPad+mini&go=GoThe …https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:S earch?search=iPad+mini&go=GoThe new 2019 mini seems the one, as the release before was the mini 4 released in 2015, specs for Memory and ghz have vastly improved.. always stay within a few generations of new with AppleI find game pay the best cash prices for trade in, I tend to keep my Apple box in the attic so it’s in perfect condition and easier to sell onI have a mini 4 and find it a good size and weight, had an iPad Air 2 that is the wife’s and tbh I now don’t like the bigger size anymore

Joey.Bloggsy24/12/2019 15:41

I've got an Ipad mini which is no longer supported, like you I thought Ooo …I've got an Ipad mini which is no longer supported, like you I thought Ooo let's get a bigger screen and bought an Ipad Pro 9.7... Prefer the mini myself.

Interesting to hear you both say you ended up disliking the bigger iPads. Any particular reason as to why or was it just that it's not as portable/practical? I quite like the current iPad Mini size as well as at 7.9" it's a pretty good screen size and it's great that it's portable. I just wonder if streaming will be better on a bigger screen if I was to upgrade? The new Mini seems more expensive than the Mini 2 was at release, no?
RadiantDuck24/12/2019 11:23

I'm in the same boat, have a mini 2 but my daughter has pretty much taken …I'm in the same boat, have a mini 2 but my daughter has pretty much taken ownership of it! I'm leaning towards the new mini as I do like the size. If you want bigger one then also check apples refurbished section in their website, some good reductions and all refurbished by apple and with the same full warranty as a new one.

I just have a preference to buy brand new products rather than refurbished but thanks for the suggestion.
Gormond24/12/2019 11:37

The iPad Air seems like the best bet, the base model comes with 64GB …The iPad Air seems like the best bet, the base model comes with 64GB (which you said was enough) and it has the newer Apple A12 SoC rather than the A10 SoC used in the standard iPad.Also the normal iPad comes with 32GB storage and once you increase it you will only be £30 shy of the base 64GB iPad Air.

Appreciate the suggestion.
billmax76424/12/2019 22:52

Interesting to hear you both say you ended up disliking the bigger iPads. …Interesting to hear you both say you ended up disliking the bigger iPads. Any particular reason as to why or was it just that it's not as portable/practical? I quite like the current iPad Mini size as well as at 7.9" it's a pretty good screen size and it's great that it's portable. I just wonder if streaming will be better on a bigger screen if I was to upgrade? The new Mini seems more expensive than the Mini 2 was at release, no?

I found the display to be more crisper then the new iPad Pro and holding it is somewhat easier.

Never really take it out as such but obviously the smaller size is more convenient.
billmax76424/12/2019 22:55

I just have a preference to buy brand new products rather than refurbished …I just have a preference to buy brand new products rather than refurbished but thanks for the suggestion. Appreciate the suggestion.

Happy/ Merry Christmas. The refurbished models from Apple direct are nothing like the refurbs you see on eBay or Amazon Warehouse. They look & feel brand new - with new battery, screen & come in almost identical Apple sealed packaging as a new one. Some people actually prefer them as they believe they undergo a more rigorous quality control process than new models - not sure about that but as with anything else bought direct from Apple they’re super easy to return too if you don’t like it for any reason.

Anyway my recommendation would be to see if you find the now discontinued iPad Pro 10.5” model in the January sales. Always seem better value than the new Air to me.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 25th Dec 2019
Joey.Bloggsy25/12/2019 09:25

I found the display to be more crisper then the new iPad Pro and holding …I found the display to be more crisper then the new iPad Pro and holding it is somewhat easier. Never really take it out as such but obviously the smaller size is more convenient.

Okay, thank you.

captainbeaky25/12/2019 09:55

Happy/ Merry Christmas. The refurbished models from Apple direct are …Happy/ Merry Christmas. The refurbished models from Apple direct are nothing like the refurbs you see on eBay or Amazon Warehouse. They look & feel brand new - with new battery, screen & come in almost identical Apple sealed packaging as a new one. Some people actually prefer them as they believe they undergo a more rigorous quality control process than new models - not sure about that but as with anything else bought direct from Apple they’re super easy to return too if you don’t like it for any reason.Anyway my recommendation would be to see if you find the now discontinued iPad Pro 10.5” model in the January sales. Always seem better value than the new Air to me.

Will keep an eye out then for January sales. Happy Christmas!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants