Expired

Which iPhone 5 works with virgin sim?

Found 23rd Nov 2012
i'm looking to buy an iphone 5 and cant find any on virgin. Which network locked phone will accept a virgin sim? unlocked ones costing £100 or so more so looking to find which one will accept a virgin sim.

Alternatiely could buy a locked 3 / o2 one if they still only charge £15 to unlock? or is this not the case with an iphone 5 rather than a 4.

Thanks
Community Updates
MisciPhoneSimVirgin
15 Comments
Original Poster
Also are they in stock at apple? e.g walk into apple store tomorrow and get one? says 2 weeks on website
When I told Virgin Mobile I had an iPhone they wanted to know if it was a 5 because 5 apparently uses a nano-sim which Virgin Mobile don't sell yet or something. Not 100% sure if that is the case but that is what I was told they only do the standard sims at the moment.
Edited by: "CyDoNiA" 24th Nov 2012
The iPhone 5 uses a nano-sim which is smaller then the micro and standard sim.
First of all gentle touch, have a look on the apple store website, I will do that for you ......

Ok, that took about 10 seconds, they are not in stock online, 2 weeks delivery time.

With regards to walking into an apple store, who do you think, on here, will know the stock levels of an apple store?

Answer to this question is to go on the apple store website (again) - then find your local store, there will then be a 11 digit number which you enter into a phone and press 'call' - when an operator answers this 'call' you need to say the following words. Hi there, I want an iPhone and would like to walk in and buy it straight away...

You buy one from the Apple store, which is unlocked, in order for you to get o2 etc to unlock you will need to buy a contract and then arrange unlocking which takes a few weeks. - You will also need a nano sim.

And before you say anything, I am an apple user and I am also a ****.
As said before, Virgin don't offer nano SIM cards and because you can't cut the other sizes down as the chips are too big it is impossible to have an iPhone 5 on Virgin Mobile.
Domislice

As said before, Virgin don't offer nano SIM cards and because you can't … As said before, Virgin don't offer nano SIM cards and because you can't cut the other sizes down as the chips are too big it is impossible to have an iPhone 5 on Virgin Mobile.

That is NOT true. You can cut down either a Mini SIM or Micro SIM down to a Nano SIM. I have done it as I didn't want to pay T-Mobile £10 for the privilege, The difference in the thickness between the SIMs is overplayed; it is insignificant. The process of cutting is a little bit hair-raising, so I practiced on some FREE PAYG SIMs. They all worked fine.

Link for template airportal.de/nan…im/
Edited by: "tpol" 23rd Nov 2012
tpol

That is NOT true. You can cut down either a Mini SIM or Micro SIM down to … That is NOT true. You can cut down either a Mini SIM or Micro SIM down to a Nano SIM. I have done it as I didn't want to pay T-Mobile £10 for the privilege, The difference in the thickness between the SIMs is overplayed; it is insignificant. The process of cutting is a little bit hair-raising, so I practiced on some FREE PAYG SIMs. They all worked fine.Link for template http://www.airportal.de/nanosim/

I guess my information was based upon speculation and in real terms cutting into the outside of the contacts has turned out to be okay. Even so, Virgin Mobile don't even have a policy of supplying micro SIMs to customers that haven't bought a micro SIM handset from them (although that is meant to be changing at the end of the year).
Domislice

I guess my information was based upon speculation and in real terms … I guess my information was based upon speculation and in real terms cutting into the outside of the contacts has turned out to be okay. Even so, Virgin Mobile don't even have a policy of supplying micro SIMs to customers that haven't bought a micro SIM handset from them (although that is meant to be changing at the end of the year).

Fair enough. However, you can cut down a normal (Mini) SIM using the template link I provided.

Don't let these networks hold you to ransom; some of their policies are truly idiotic and anti-competitive. We should report these sort of things to the OFT, shouldn't let these bullies get away with it.
Virgin mobile supplied me with a nano sim for my new i5 no problem also gotta smokin deal
Grays132

Virgin mobile supplied me with a nano sim for my new i5 no problem also … Virgin mobile supplied me with a nano sim for my new i5 no problem also gotta smokin deal

Thanks to you, I just phoned Virgin who confirmed they can also get me a good deal and supply a nano SIM! They said they're hoping to get the iPhone 5 in June but then again, they were expecting it at Christmas and last summer so I won't hold my breath!
So Grays132 you were given a Nano sim by Virgin? If I wanted to transfer my current contract onto a nano sim to use an Iphone 5 would they do that for me?
Just rang Virgin and my contract sim is being changed to a nano sim and delivered within 3 days to be activated.. Easy peasy no need to cut the sim card. Had great service from Virgin as always
ok can someone clear the air, i'm from the US btw.

So if im right, i can buy a virgin mobile nano sim without having to buy an actual handset(phone) from them, and then this sim will work on any unlocked iphone 5???
How do you know if your phone is locked ? I just have an iPhone, given to me by my son in law, and can I just put my "pay as I Go" sim card from my old phone into the iPhone, if it fits

bought my daughter an iphone 5c but locked to o2 n shes got an iphone 4s but got an virginsim only contract ! iff i ring virgin will they help me to unlock the new phone whats on O2 so she can put her virgin sim in it but will need a new sim aswel to fit in new phone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions