Which IPhone to buy for my Daughter?

Found 8th Nov 2017
Hi! My sensible daughter is at secondary school and has asked for an iphone for Christmas, which I'm happy to buy (outright, not on contract). As an Android user, I don't know the iphones too well. She doesn't need the latest/most expensive version and it needs to be small. Could anyone recommend which model might be best to get and, if possible, recommended sources?

Many thanks!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

Iphone X. Nothing but the best for my kids.

Maybe the iPhone SE I wouldn't touch any of the older 5 models

Stick with the iPhone SE you can pick up now on contracts £15 to £20 with a decent amount of allowance. It a good size and as you say she doesn't need most expensive or latest version. It will do everything she wants I am sure. Quick google I am sure you can find best contract or use comparison site.

You can get iphone 6 for less than £200 as well as the SE

You could be providing a present FAIL if you buy small, I bet all her friends have large phones, in which case you'll be looking at the 6 plus or 7. Get her to confirm the size and ask her what her friends have

johnmcdon53 m ago

Iphone X. Nothing but the best for my kids.

They are going to learn some great life lessons with you doing that.

"Oh I dropped my phone - it's ok Daddy will just buy me a new one".

SE. Has the main specs of a 6S.
Less of a cost of it goes missing and still a current model. Meaning it should get at least another 2 years support.

I would vote for a 6, 6S or SE. Great phones and you can pick up one at a decent price. Also compare against a 7 price wise. I’m not sure how much they are going for.

I'd recommend not getting anything below the SE or 6S as both are still sold now so will be supported, get updates the longest (new emoji) and both are very capable phones, the older models like the 6 use a much slower processor so with a view to keeping the phone for say 2 years there will be a noticeable slowdown which would be much less noticeable on the SE, 6S or newer.
Personally I'd recommend the 6S because of the bigger screen and it has the same 'look' as the newer 7 and 8, however the SE is essentially the same phone with a smaller screen if size or money is most important.

Original Poster

Wow. Thank you all for your replies. By the sounds of it the 16Gb SE could be the one to go for (but I do need to cross-check what her friends have).

You’ll find that 16gb may not be enough. So consider getting more memory.

Bigfootpete1 h, 1 m ago

They are going to learn some great life lessons with you doing that. "Oh I …They are going to learn some great life lessons with you doing that. "Oh I dropped my phone - it's ok Daddy will just buy me a new one".

I'm going to err on the side that this is humour.

Bought my se from John Lewis with 3 years warranty b
Edited by: "snoopy18" 8th Nov 2017

snoopy183 m ago

Bought my se from John Lewis with 3 years wa

32Gb version available in Space Grey, Silver, Gold, and Rose Gold at John Lewis for £299:

Apple iPhone SE, iOS 10, 4", 4G LTE, SIM Free, 32GB - John Lewis
johnlewis.com/app…old

Is the daughter involved in the purchase or is it a surprise?

I ask as the SE looks very similar to the older 5 so may not go down too well...

Is it you or your daughter that has insisted on a small handset...?

Budget.....?

Another vote for the SE, my sensible daughter loves hers as she can easily pocket it in jeans even with Spigon Slim Armor cover on it. Get a larger memory version for future proofing.
If money is tight, a 5s with 32gb from o2 refresh then cancel airtime contract and pay off the handset balance, does almost the same job..

Apple iPhone SE 32Gb Only £279 All Colours - Very Black Friday Deal Now On - HotUKDeals
hotukdeals.com/dea…784

Sim Free Apple iPhone SE 32GB (All Colours) Now £269 @ Argos - HotUKDeals
hotukdeals.com/dea…252
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions