which is a better quality bike?

Posted 15th Jul
I have no idea on what parts on bikes mean.

buying a new ebike and my budget is £1000, I prefered halfords but they have covid hiked prices, so decathlon is my second option, as they do reapirs and they have a shop near my work.

They have 3 models here and i'd preferably think the cheaper option will do the job for £200 less, but have no idea on parts, I plan to abuse this bike and sell on and get new one with new battery in 2 years.

Is it worth the extra £200 for the others? as I am going to kill this battery fairly quickly thinking the better quality in parts might not matter to me? (more pricey is 10% bigger nothing to write home about)

decathlon.co.uk/e-st-100-electric-mountain-bike-blue-275-id_8560739.html

decathlon.co.uk/e-st500-v2-electric-mountain-bike-grey-yellow-275-id_8561490.html

decathlon.co.uk/e-st500-electric-mountain-bike-black-275-id_8561491.html
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
Bit misleading, thought there was an electric bike for £200... , though have to admit the prices do still seem good there.
Ringfinger15/07/2020 15:57

Bit misleading, thought there was an electric bike for £200... , though …Bit misleading, thought there was an electric bike for £200... , though have to admit the prices do still seem good there.

Oops
The 500 has a slighty bigger battery, but they show the same specs for the motors.

Hub rather than crank drive, which is to be expected at this price point.

No real info about anything ewlse so if they're nearby I'd go iin and have a look to see how the quality of the components is. Onb the whole decathlon stuff is good value.

I cant really see ajustification for spending the extra 200 if the only difference is the very small battery capacity difference
mas9915/07/2020 17:44

The 500 has a slighty bigger battery, but they show the same specs for the …The 500 has a slighty bigger battery, but they show the same specs for the motors.Hub rather than crank drive, which is to be expected at this price point.No real info about anything ewlse so if they're nearby I'd go iin and have a look to see how the quality of the components is. Onb the whole decathlon stuff is good value. I cant really see ajustification for spending the extra 200 if the only difference is the very small battery capacity difference

Thanks I'll try dig further on component and post back
mas9915/07/2020 17:44

The 500 has a slighty bigger battery, but they show the same specs for the …The 500 has a slighty bigger battery, but they show the same specs for the motors.Hub rather than crank drive, which is to be expected at this price point.No real info about anything ewlse so if they're nearby I'd go iin and have a look to see how the quality of the components is. Onb the whole decathlon stuff is good value. I cant really see ajustification for spending the extra 200 if the only difference is the very small battery capacity difference

Hi Lewis, George here. thank you for waiting. the differences between the bikes is thus: the e-st100 has a 1x8 microshift groupset and the e-st500 has a 1x9 shimano altus groupset. the e-st100 has a 100mm travel spring suntour front fork, the e-st500 has a 120mm travel hydraulic suntour front fork. another difference are the tyres, the e-st100 come with 2.2" rockrider all-terrain light and the e-st500 comes with 2.4" Hutchinson Cougar's. there are other small differences are in the components such as handlebars, seatpost. these differences in these are mainly in the weight of the components as well as their stiffness

What does this mean to you
Gumbon18/07/2020 13:08

Hi Lewis, George here. thank you for waiting. the differences between the …Hi Lewis, George here. thank you for waiting. the differences between the bikes is thus: the e-st100 has a 1x8 microshift groupset and the e-st500 has a 1x9 shimano altus groupset. the e-st100 has a 100mm travel spring suntour front fork, the e-st500 has a 120mm travel hydraulic suntour front fork. another difference are the tyres, the e-st100 come with 2.2" rockrider all-terrain light and the e-st500 comes with 2.4" Hutchinson Cougar's. there are other small differences are in the components such as handlebars, seatpost. these differences in these are mainly in the weight of the components as well as their stiffnessWhat does this mean to you

Shimano much better than microshift.
Hydraulic better than spring forks. (but some will argue against this)

Is that and the slightly bigger battery worth £200 to you?
mas9918/07/2020 18:29

Shimano much better than microshift.Hydraulic better than spring forks. …Shimano much better than microshift.Hydraulic better than spring forks. (but some will argue against this)Is that and the slightly bigger battery worth £200 to you?

No not really thanks.

need it for a month times, as stock is in and out might need to check daily and pull trigger now if i want the £800 one.

Cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants