Groups

Which is the best indian curry from a jar?!

Hoping to make lamb rogan Josh and chicken madras for Sunday dinner but I can't be bothered faffing around making it from scratch. So which brand of jarred curry do you recommend? Thanks

29 Comments

I like Pataks myself.

They're all fairly revolting. Just go for the cheapest.

Whats the orange and black labels? Prob the Pataks - they do the popodums and naan and all that too - they're the best ones

Seeds of Change or Veeraswamy do really good homemade tasting sauces

pataks tikka mmmmm x

deviouspaul

Whats the orange and black labels? Prob the Pataks - they do the popodums … Whats the orange and black labels? Prob the Pataks - they do the popodums and naan and all that too - they're the best ones

Sharwoods?

veeraswamy or pataks madras, and get the tins. i find they taste better.
    Edited by: "shanecr" 3rd Feb 2012

Original Poster

I've only tried Lloyd grossman but I wasn't hugely impressed.

asdas own?

Original Poster

I might try veeraswamy.... It sounds more exotic!

Original Poster

deb8z

That's probably one of the worst ones i've tried.

I guess that's why I wasn't impressed!

I personally recommend the pataks madras paste, which needs one onion, half a cup of water and half a tin of chopped tomatoes. I usually add a little more chilli powder as well.
    You'll be surprised how much letting a curry simmer for 35-40 minutes improves the flavour. Especially with chicken off the bone.

It's not an effort at all plus one jar of paste makes about 8 servings and can be stored for absolutely ages.

Edited by: "mamboboy" 3rd Feb 2012

Pataks Jalfreizi is gorgeous. Not entirely sure on the spelling and not prepared to dig the jar out of the bin to check

Asdas range is good. There's Also KTC.

Pataks is good. They used to do a kashmiri butter that I really liked, but it seems to have vanished from the shelves.

Original Poster

mamboboy

I personally recommend the pataks madras paste, which needs one onion, … I personally recommend the pataks madras paste, which needs one onion, half a cup of water and half a tin of chopped tomatoes. I usually add a little more chilli powder as well.You'll be surprised how much letting a curry simmer for 35-40 minutes improves the flavour. Especially with chicken off the bone.It's not an effort at all plus one jar of paste makes about 8 servings and can be stored for absolutely ages.

I'll bare that in mind!

Aldi "bilash" dopiaza sauce is genuinely the best jar sauce I have ever tasted, it has won awards and best of all it only costs £1.19

all **** from the jar
    get down your locall curry house

Original Poster

Nath2904

Aldi "bilash" dopiaza sauce is genuinely the best jar sauce I have ever … Aldi "bilash" dopiaza sauce is genuinely the best jar sauce I have ever tasted, it has won awards and best of all it only costs £1.19

That would have been great if i knew what bilash dopiaza was! Sounds like me sort of prescription drug!?

I like the Lidl sauces and they are only about 90p

currysauce.com/. Their sauces are great.

Nath2904

Aldi "bilash" dopiaza sauce is genuinely the best jar sauce I have ever … Aldi "bilash" dopiaza sauce is genuinely the best jar sauce I have ever tasted, it has won awards and best of all it only costs £1.19

Thats pretty good but the best are the meena range from pataks. Cost a bit more but are so worth it.
    We make our own now but if i needed to rustle one up quick, i'd go for the meena range.

I don't like sauces from jars, yuk.

But I do now occasionally use Patak's tikka paste or tandoori paste after I bought some for my son to use when he was at school and had cookery lessons. Those two pasted are really lovely and great if I don't have much time in the kitchen.

deb8z

I've never tried those,do you recommend them,their own ones for … I've never tried those,do you recommend them,their own ones for pasta(spag bol) are really nice.

well we have them..tikka masalla used to be excellent but isnt quite the same since the new label a couple of years ago but its still nice.
    The smartprice bolognese is also fine ive used it for pizzas when there was no offer on other makes and was v happy with it-i noted at the time to tomato content was higher which is good

Dont like lloyds...pataks i havent tried all of them but im not too impressed but ive not got a posh pallet lol

Has anyone tried the Tarka curry sauce?

Banned

Only decent jarred curry I've had is Mumtaz.

PEPSIDAVE

Has anyone tried the Tarka curry sauce?

Have I ever told you about the time I ate nothing but curry for two.weeks and got admitted to hospital...?

OH likes morrisons own make no frills curry sauce its rather spicy for the rest of us though, we prefer sharwoods

strangely enough - i always think tescos own is nice (not the cheapest range value ones) - they are usually around £1 for a jar.

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Tesco_Korma_Cooking_Sauce_500g.jpg

this one

Edited by: "lucerysmum" 4th Feb 2012
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6551247
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764314
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846213
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)49394

See more discussions