Which is the best Mature cheese

23 replies
Found 8th Dec 2016
The mature cheese ranges vary between supermarket own brands and regular brands - which one would you plump for, An important question for the festive period!

23 Comments

can't help you as I hate the stuff...but surely you've tasted most of the supermarket one's now
just pick the one you like the most

I'm quite partial to Snowdonia Black Bomber. Think a few supermarkets stock it, and I think they do multipacks too.

That - wholegrain crackers, caramelised red onion chutney and a glass of red. Now we're talking!

https://media.giphy.com/media/uZn1OsA9jfHrO/giphy.gif
Edited by: "mattmerch" 8th Dec 2016

How mature are you looking for?
You can go from something like Cathedral City which is almost nondescript to something like Davidstow 5 year vintage which is very strong.

I personally like the truckles that are available at this time of year.

Quite expensive, but this one is delicious for a supermarket cheese!

sainsburys.co.uk/sho…00g

Seriously strong extra mature with chutney. Mmm heaven. Favourite cheese is mexicana. Just can't resist

I used to like The lake district mature cheddar - tons of flavour, but it's a bit too crumbly and a bit too much salt added.
Trying to slice it so I could use in my sandwich and lunch was impossible.

Now I buy Sains' extra mature - it's not as strong but has a nice flavour and it's smooth, so easy to slice (_;)

Davidstow extra mature's my favourite, Colliers is also good if you can't find Davidstow.

Colliers was my favourite, but my store doesn't seem to stock it anymore, so just go with best offer at the time now.

seriously strong
cathedral city start being ok at extra mature and vintage
mull of kintyre and other island cheeses nice as well
you maybe want it more smelly socks though if its for biscuits etc?

Aldi Extra Mature Welsh Cheddar is great, has a strength of 5 and only £1.59 for 350g
Prefer it to Seriously Strong, Colliers, Davidstow etc

stinky84

Aldi Extra Mature Welsh Cheddar is great, has a strength of 5 and only … Aldi Extra Mature Welsh Cheddar is great, has a strength of 5 and only £1.59 for 350gPrefer it to Seriously Strong, Colliers, Davidstow etc

​Tried the greater and sliced Aldi Mature, can't say I taste much of a difference between Asda's one. Haven't tried extra mature though.

stinky84

Aldi Extra Mature Welsh Cheddar is great, has a strength of 5 and only … Aldi Extra Mature Welsh Cheddar is great, has a strength of 5 and only £1.59 for 350gPrefer it to Seriously Strong, Colliers, Davidstow etc

another vote for the Aldi Extra Mature in purple wrapper !

EliTom

Bomber cheese.

Another vote for Black Bomber. Or my absolute favourite, Godminster organic vintage Cheddar, available online or at waitrose in little heart shapes coated in purple wax. It is nicknamed the King of Cheeses in our house!

Sainsbury's Canadian.
Wonderful stuff.

Aldi's stilton is divine with some pasta.

david_wavid

Aldi's stilton is divine with some pasta.

Nine to 12 weeks to mature is hardly a mature cheese...

Bigfootpete

Nine to 12 weeks to mature is hardly a mature cheese...

How many weeks is mature defined as?

david_wavid

How many weeks is mature defined as?

12-15 months according to Wikipedia
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564066
    2. Leicester sack their manager!812
    3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710972
    4. IGN have acquired Humble Bundle1011

See more discussions