Found 9th Mar 2008
I am currently paying £14.99 a month with virgin. It is quite expensive since i only get 1mbps. They say i can upgrade for free but it includes calls and i need one that doesn't as the calls have to go through the business. Or they offered me a package at £17.99 per month which i still think is too high. I know there are cheaper ones but dont really want the hassle of changing all my email address etc and setting it up but i am not prepared to pay virgin net prices anymore as i dont get enough from them.
Who would you say have the best deals at the moment and are reliable??
Thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
48 Comments

i use to be with virgin and the speed use to be poor and at peak time it would cut off. This was soo bad with online gaming and other things that i changed. I am now with vodafone and it is excellent but only works out a good deal if you have a moblie contract with them.

Original Poster

Hi, i would prefer not to have any phone deals in with the package. Mine too keeps cutting off now as if there isnt quite enough power to get the pages up sometimes. I am annoyed with virgin that they cant offer it me cheaper.

A couple of providers that come up on the search are O2 and talk talk. Does anyone know if they are any good?

Would NOT recommend Orange. Really bad service.

Newnet or IDnet or any Entanet isp's.

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic;1692667

Would NOT recommend Orange. Really bad service.

Thanx for you advise on that, as i thought i had heard orange wasnt brilliant. Thats one knocked off the list

Original Poster

Chanser;1692702

Newnet or IDnet or any Entanet isp's.

I havent heard of these so thats for suggesting them, i will have a look on their sites

I personally would go for 02 if you can, unfortunately they don't do my area yet, but seem to have the best rep at the moment

Original Poster

bazzaric;1692729

I personally would go for 02 if you can, unfortunately they don't do my … I personally would go for 02 if you can, unfortunately they don't do my area yet, but seem to have the best rep at the moment

thanx i will look at them again.

Would you say they are allpretty similar in what they offer and it is just a case of picking one, cos it is all doing my head in looking trough them all.
I just feel that virgin are charging a lot for what i get, i am right in thinking that £14.99 for 1mbps is ****

We pay 1p and are on 2mb with virgin.....

Tell them you want a price reduction or your leaving..

Are you a Virgin Cable or ADSL customer? If you're Cable and you go to another ISP, you'll have to pay line rental on top of the broadband cost as most, if not all other providers require a BT line...

Original Poster

t0mm;1692784

We pay 1p and are on 2mb with virgin.....Tell them you want a price … We pay 1p and are on 2mb with virgin.....Tell them you want a price reduction or your leaving..

I must admit i did try that one but dont think i was very forceful when i did it so maybe i should ring and tell them i was that code to switch and then see what they say

Original Poster

mchalmers;1692787

Are you a Virgin Cable or ADSL customer? If you're Cable and you go to … Are you a Virgin Cable or ADSL customer? If you're Cable and you go to another ISP, you'll have to pay line rental on top of the broadband cost as most, if not all other providers require a BT line...

Im with adsl

We have problems at nightime with sky... it goes snail slow frequently:x

Take a look here:

thinkbroadband.com/

It used to be [url]www.adslguide.org[/url] which I used to guage isp's performance based on test results and customer reviews.

Edit: Quote from site;

thinkbroadband.com (formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk) is the UK's largest independent broadband news and information site. We provide independent advice and details on the services offered by Broadband Service Providers so you can make an informed decision as to who to use as your supplier.

End Edit;

Regards,

NV

Original Poster

thanks for everyones help. i will read through the above site and may have one last go at virgin to give me the better deal before i swap.

tiscali £17.99 a month 8mb
been using them for 2 years now, had alot of problems but now have 600kb off peak unlimited.

The quality has improved incredibly past couple of months.

We were with BT paying around £23 a month but moved onto Sky mid package last month for £5. My OH uses X box live and we have found no difference whatsoever.

Original Poster

wookiemummy;1693482

We were with BT paying around £23 a month but moved onto Sky mid package … We were with BT paying around £23 a month but moved onto Sky mid package last month for £5. My OH uses X box live and we have found no difference whatsoever.

do you mean that the connection speed isnt much better than what you were already getting then?

if its a dsl line there are all owned by bt wholesale so you may find no difference switching to any other resellers services.
I have more than a sneaking suspicion the division of bandwidth at local exchanges is balanced in bt retails favour, and the line speed may be just the max u can get because of distance from the exchange etc.
Phone virgin up or ask your OH to do it and dont ask for reduction, simply request you mac code, that will definately get the attention of their customer retention unit but as i said whatever u decide you may find service is pretty much the same

Original Poster

i too have that sneaking suspicion, they say that i should be able to get 1.5 from the exchange but as i said before they cancelled the upgrade, i did seem to get faster speeds although it was very up and down but i wasnt sure if that was while they were upgrading it. I will ring and request the mac code as if they upgrade the speed and keep the price per month then im not losing much.
The other thing is that i put a wired router in and wasn't sure if that would make a difference?

Banned

I would recomend BEthere if it is available at your area.Really the best at the moment in the UK,my personal expierence.
Second best bid-Tiscali.My sister with them for 3-d year now,no major problems,speeds around 5.6 MB/s,great price-broadband+line rental only £15 a month with unlimited usage.
Worst providers - Orange and SKY.Orange bad all the time,speeds only reaches 1.78 MB/s the best,(mostly dead from 7PM until morning) when SKY good at daytime,but slow from 5PM.

Original Poster

Hi, BEthere isnt available in our area yet:-(, so i may look at the tiscali one but i checked the speed and its 1.5 again so i think like maddogb says, im not going to get much better where i am yet.

I suppose i should be thankful we can get it as a few miles down the road they cant

We were with tiscali for years and always had a good connection (had unlimited package) Then they send a snotty email saying if we didn't stop using it so much they would restrict the line. Decided to switch to Sky and it was the worst choice we had ever made continual drop outs ( upto 4 times a day) and sometimes it was really slow.

Now changed to BT and so far the service is excellent. No drop out and regular speed no matter when you use it.

Sometimes the cheapest option is not always the best but thats just my personal opinion

Original Poster

kazmcj;1693827

We were with tiscali for years and always had a good connection (had … We were with tiscali for years and always had a good connection (had unlimited package) Then they send a snotty email saying if we didn't stop using it so much they would restrict the line. Decided to switch to Sky and it was the worst choice we had ever made continual drop outs ( upto 4 times a day) and sometimes it was really slow.Now changed to BT and so far the service is excellent. No drop out and regular speed no matter when you use it.Sometimes the cheapest option is not always the best but thats just my personal opinion

when u say drop outs do u mean when the pages wont come up and the msn wont sign in or the mail wont receive even though you appear to be online

I mean that it would loose connection and I would have to reboot the router to get back online. It was really annoying and when phoned to complain I got passed from one person to another. Their customer service is also **** by the way. They blamed it on our exchange but never had it with Tiscali and haven't had it with BT either (touch wood)

We also have another computer and if I plugged that in whilst the otherone was on line it would freeze the connection and I would have to reboot for that as well) again doesn't happen with BT and never did with Tiscali either.

Original Poster

Yes that sounds just like this, i regularly have to disable and then enable the router to get it to work. Also have noticed though that it needs this doing when i use the phone but it still does it a lot without the phone being used

Well you may have made me make my mind up as virgin wont do me a better deal and i have been edging to choose someone like BT for a while just because they are better known i guess, and if i sign up with then for 18 tmonths and get half price for 6 months is still works out the same price as if i pay virgin the 14.99 for the next 18 months. Then i can decide if i want to stick with them or not

Stupid to ask really but you have got the asdl filters in every phone socket haven't you? That was Sky's first line of defense LOL but just a cover up for their poor service

Original Poster

i have but i was told that i wouldnt need them with a router, although i only put the router in a month ago and never bothered removing them. I had the problem before the router and was told to go through all the phones somehow and check them all again but i never got round to doing that

If you don't need them with a router then why would they bother supplying them with routers!
I have always been adviced to put one in all the phone sockets but having said that I don't have cable so maybe that makes a difference?

Original Poster

Thnaks for your help, i will sort out with BT i think as soon as i can so i can get it done. Im not losing anything if i do only the hassle of switching, then i will go round all the filters again and check them. I will let you know in a few weeks if it has made a difference or not.:)

By law now your current suppliers have to give you your mac code within five days. So hopefully you won't have any problems. Good luck and hope it goes well:)

miffy121;1693503

do you mean that the connection speed isnt much better than what you were … do you mean that the connection speed isnt much better than what you were already getting then?

The connection speed is exactly the same. In fact we now have a bigger download limit. We were going to pay £10 a month but were told not to bother by sky as we could still only get up to 6 mb and the mid allowed us 8gb - if you have sky you couldn't you try the free package and then just switch if you have problems. Ours is fantastic, no problems and we have the xbox live and laptop on at the same time

Not sure what's going on with People on Sky reporting a drop in speed after 5pm - Mine is constant at approx 7.5 meg. and does not drop out in the eveneing at all! Are you guys on Sky Connect and not the LLU versions of Sky BB?
Sky connect is re-branded BT Broadband and subject to the same restrictions as BT's service. Whereas Sky LLU is capable of ADSL2+, on Sky's own equipment in the exchange.
It sounds as though the OP has issues with their internal phone wiring as a correctly wired system should not cut-out when you use the phone! - I'd guess that there is a piece of equipment in their home connected to a phone socket without a filter - Sky Digital reciver maybe or perhaps just another telephone handset!
There are a number of things that you can do yourself to improve line stability - but it will all depend on the quality of the main telephone line to begin with and of course the distance between you and the telephone exchange.
Miffy, let me know if you would like some help - PM me and i'll do my best to sort you out!

Too true many factors indeed, when testing broadband unplug all equipment (except the router u clots ;))attached to main line even if via extension, do this b4 u boot router up.

Check this site samknows.com/bro…php enter your phone number and it will tell you what companys are offering LLU (Local loop unbundling) in your area (ie. which isp's have their own equipment in your local exchange).

Original Poster

harlzter;1698444

Check this site http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php enter your … Check this site http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php enter your phone number and it will tell you what companys are offering LLU (Local loop unbundling) in your area (ie. which isp's have their own equipment in your local exchange).

Thanx, did the test and it comes up with none unfortunately

maddogb;1698393

Too true many factors indeed, when testing broadband unplug all equipment … Too true many factors indeed, when testing broadband unplug all equipment (except the router u clots ;))attached to main line even if via extension, do this b4 u boot router up.

Correct, the best and easiest way to diss off all the apps and extensions in your house is to remove the two screws in the NTE5 face plate. Removing this will reveal another socket behind this, this disses off all the internal wiring and apps in your house and you may see a increase in synch speed by doing this.http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/images/testsocket.gif
Like This
You could also consider fitting a ADSL faceplate like thishttp://www.phillip-cooper.co.uk/pacscableinstallations/images/uploads/Faceplate_filter.jpg
which will elminate the need for filters on all of your extension wiring. The only downside with these faceplates is that the router must be plugged into the NTE5 master socket.

Original Poster

Let me start from the begginning and tell you how my house is set up:) (Sit back it will take some understanding)

I live in a long house which is divided into two, parents-in-law one side, me and OH in the other.
We share 1 master socket and we have 4(max) extentions from it. The main socket is situated next door. All sockets have filters.
Obviously my computer is in my end and that is where the broadband set up is. So none of that is in the master socket, but i was told that wouldn't be an issue.
Before i installed the router everything was ok for a while but then something changed and it started disconnecting when the telephone was used.
Didnt think it would matter about sorting that issue out as i was going to install the router and again was told i wouldn't need the filters anyway+ the problem started strangly after we had seen the BT van in the village sorting out the house across the road:xthat may not be why but it seems dodgy.
Then when i installed the router it runs okish but quite a lot of the day i have to disable and enable the router to get it back to strength. Today i have probably done it around 6-7 times.
Not necessarily when the phone is used i dont think.

Do you get any crackling on the phone?

Original Poster

not really, i have a problem with the cordless phone but the other one os ok
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Tomtop Xiaomi Mi A1 deal removed443
    2. Pictures from camera to android phone59
    3. How do you transfer files to an Android device over wifi?56
    4. Best/cheapest music service710

See more discussions