Groups
    EXPIRED

Which Kindle is best?

I'm looking to get my partner a Kindle for Christmas but there seem to be so many of them.

Wanting it to double up as a tablet to use for games, Facebook, basic browsing etc. Can anyone recommend? Or point out any specific advantages or disadvantages of any particular models.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

11 Comments

I wont answer your question directly, I will leave that for someone else, but I would say that if he is an avid reader, reading every day or for long periods at a time, potential away from the home environment you may consider getting him a kindle dedicated e-reader rather than a tablet. I only say this as I have both and find the e-reader to have fantastic battery life and is easy to read in the sun, and good for eye strain.

My kindle gets charged up once or twice a month and my tablet probably every two or three day (would be even more if I used it to read novels). This is obviously due to the different nature of the machines and their intended uses.

A basic kindle e-reader can be had for £49. Im sure I saw one on here the other day.

Someone else will tell you about the Kindle fire range im sure. Just wanted to point out the virtues of a stand alone e-reader.

As above, tablets are virtually unusable in direct sunlight meaning no reading on hols.

redcantona

As above, tablets are virtually unusable in direct sunlight meaning no … As above, tablets are virtually unusable in direct sunlight meaning no reading on hols.

My mrs has an anti reflective screen protector on her hdx and used it in the sun all summer long.

craigstephens

My mrs has an anti reflective screen protector on her hdx and used it in … My mrs has an anti reflective screen protector on her hdx and used it in the sun all summer long.

I'll need to look into that, might be good for summer internet usage!

I am a fan of the Kindle Keyboard ereader. Keyboard makes it easier to search and annotate, and the built-in experimental browser goves you access to low-tech websites.

I'll echo some of the above.

Kindle refers to the Amazon eReader and also their range of colour tablets. If your partner wants it for reading books, then definitely get the simple eReader Kindle. If your partner wants to browse the web and play games more than anything then you're looking at a tablet and not an eReader. And if you're getting a tablet, there are better options than the Kindle range.

I have a keyboard Kindle eReader and it's great, wife has the one without a keyboard. It's lighter and looking nicer. There are touch screen ones now and paper white ones. This is really down to personal preference. Tablets - best ask around, I can only recommend an iPad

craigstephens

My mrs has an anti reflective screen protector on her hdx and used it in … My mrs has an anti reflective screen protector on her hdx and used it in the sun all summer long.

Usually with tablets the problem is a lack of brightness rather than a reflective coating. eReaders use opaque screens so they get better the brighter their surroundings are.

And yes, if others have said Amazon's tablets just use the kindle brand because of the familiarity rather than any particular suitability for reading. They're just another range of tablets.

If you are considering an eReader then be aware that kindle eReaders are very locked down compared to the competition. Many eBook stores & UK libraries won't work on them and most of the books you buy on them won't be readable on eReaders from other brands.
    Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 9th Dec 2014

I see my post number 1 was voted down, and here was me thinking it was an impartial and fair opinion offered, I must have been wrong!

Original Poster

I can only see a few of the replies from my phone but thank you to everyone for all the opinions. I think from what you have all said that I would be better going for a tablet instead :-)

Thanks again everyone, some fab points made

Original Poster

ibblackberry1

I see my post number 1 was voted down, and here was me thinking it was an … I see my post number 1 was voted down, and here was me thinking it was an impartial and fair opinion offered, I must have been wrong!

I'm not sure what you mean by voted down? I can't see anywhere to vote on replies... Didn't know you could do that on the discussions bit of the forum. Your first point was very informative and I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thank you :-)

I bought a kindle touch second hand of eBay last year for £40 can't fault it although it isn't the latest model.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions