EXPIRED

Which laptop?

Hi I'm looking at buying my 10yo a laptop for christmas. It's to be used for just basic tasks, browsing, homework and minecraft.

Would anyone with any knowledge be able to advise on which of the following are the best, or if they are all much of a muchness (or have any other suggestions)?

Many thanks

-----UPDATE-----

although it may seem obvious, if you cannot advise on one of those listed or suggest an alternative I don't really require a read receipt from everyone ha

15 Comments

None of them

Original Poster

rev6

None of them

Glad you took the time to reply with such a useful comment (_;)
Edited by: "john_mac83" 8th Dec 2014

john_mac83

Glad you took the time to reply which such a useful comment (_;)

I did look at all the laptops you posted. Come on!

Have you tried Dell outlet?

I purchased my son a Dell E5520 2nd Gen I5, HD screen, 4gb ram, 250gb 7200 HDD (swapped for SSD) but more importantly 3y NBD warranty for £272.
OK its not latest tech, but performance wise it is around the same as most current i3 (i5 2520M Bench = 3458, i3 4100M = 3648, Same 2.5ghz clock speed) and comes with a stonking warranty.
Was meant to be "Scratched and Dent" but did not have a mark on it.

For a child, refurbished is a good option IMHO.
Edited by: "Dusterfluster" 8th Dec 2014

Personally I would stick to Intel and aim for atleast an i3. Don't get a Celeron, Pentium or AMD (I'm a fan of AMD on desktops, laptops not so much).
Ram wise 2gb+, 4gb is about the standard now not that its really needed.
Ignore the harddrive space as anything over 250gb will be plenty for what you want.
Don't get anything smaller then 13", seriously if your looking at smaller your better off with a tablet as they are more practical.
tbh if you can hit those 4 markers you can't go too wrong. Something decent will set you back about £250, but will last you 2 or 3 times as long as something cheaper.

On a side note avoid white, especially the keyboard as it will attract all the grim and mess quickly, looking horrid.

Original Poster

joedastudd

Personally I would stick to Intel and aim for atleast an i3. Don't get a … Personally I would stick to Intel and aim for atleast an i3. Don't get a Celeron, Pentium or AMD (I'm a fan of AMD on desktops, laptops not so much).Ram wise 2gb+, 4gb is about the standard now not that its really needed.Ignore the harddrive space as anything over 250gb will be plenty for what you want.Don't get anything smaller then 13", seriously if your looking at smaller your better off with a tablet as they are more practical.tbh if you can hit those 4 markers you can't go too wrong. Something decent will set you back about £250, but will last you 2 or 3 times as long as something cheaper.On a side note avoid white, especially the keyboard as it will attract all the grim and mess quickly, looking horrid.

Thanks for this. So am I better looking at the argos refurbs? There are two i3s on there, which would you say is better out of the toshiba and asus f-series?

I've had an argos refurb before and still using it without a problem and it arrived in mint condition so no issue with dealing with them.

Thank again

Not a fan of acer but it you want to buy off argos, the specs on this are OK.
ebay.co.uk/itm…976

Original Poster

Not necessarily argos but have had a good experience with them. Thanks for your help

Dusterfluster

Not a fan of acer but it you want to buy off argos, the specs on this are … Not a fan of acer but it you want to buy off argos, the specs on this are OK.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspire-15-6-Inch-E-Series-500GB-4GB-Laptop-/171565222262?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item27f2158976

Not necessarily argos but have had a good experience with them. Thanks for your help

I would say just keep to the "M" series CPU's (M at the end of the product code) they offer the better performance, obviously the trade off on that is you will have slightly worse battery life when compared to the "U" series.

According to this, an Acer aspire with an i5-4200U 1.6GHz and intel 4400 integrated gpu on windows 8 will play the game at a frame rate of 35 - 49 fps (fullscreen). These are going for around £330 now.

Have a look a the HP Stream laptops - around £179 for an 11" ultralight, cool running (fanless) and swift little laptop, which will be far more portable than a huge 15.6" screen. Both my teenage daughters use 11" screens (Chromebooks, Minecraft isn't easy to sort on them) and love them. At that sort of size the Streams are very useable and great to just sling in a backpack when needed.

jbuldr

According to this, an Acer aspire with an i5-4200U 1.6GHz and intel 4400 … According to this, an Acer aspire with an i5-4200U 1.6GHz and intel 4400 integrated gpu on windows 8 will play the game at a frame rate of 35 - 49 fps (fullscreen). These are going for around £330 now.

The one I linked above is the 3rd gen i5 and is quicker than the 4th gen U processor and a fair bit cheaper.
This one
ebay.co.uk/itm…648

Frame rate can be very different from game to game.

Dusterfluster

The one I linked above is the 3rd gen i5 and is quicker than the 4th gen … The one I linked above is the 3rd gen i5 and is quicker than the 4th gen U processor and a fair bit cheaper.This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171565222262?clk_rvr_id=745080335648Frame rate can be very different from game to game.

It's true the 3rd generation here is quicker, by a bit, but the iGPU in the 4th generation is much better.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    2. Which Camera?!!!22
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1014
    4. Sky or Virgin?1418

See more discussions