Which laptop is best

Posted 8th Feb
hi guys I've been looking for a laptop for quite a while now, however as I'm not computer literate I'm finding it hard to decide which laptop to go for and what would be best value for money. If anyone could help me out and give me their opinions I would be very greatfull.

Im torn between 2 laptops, which would be better? both are the same price.

box.co.uk/S43…tml

or

box.co.uk/NX.…tml

many thanks to who ever can help me out x
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
From what I can see, the main differences between the 2 laptops appear to be:

A) Screen size.
B) The Acer has a fingerprint scanner.
C) The Acer has 1 extra USB slot.
D) The Acer has a number pad.

Otherwise they are both quad core, intel core i5 generation 8 with 256GB SSD and 8GB Ram. They both have an IPS display which is an absolute must (for me) and a backlit keyboard which is an added bonus.

One thing you will find quite useful is to compare the 2 laptops side by side using the compare feature that box.co.uk has. That will help you see the pros and cons of both laptops.

Personally, I would go for the Acer because of the screen being bigger.

39867094-QXbtQ.jpg
Edited by: "notalwaysright19" 9th Feb
Best = the cheapest one, obviously.
Or the prettiest.
Or the one with a pretty Fruit logo.
nemesiz09/02/2020 05:30

Or the one with a pretty Fruit logo.

They raspberry pi's are the best!
Both the same really, unless your desperate for a fingerprint scanner, but just one more thing to go wrong...
they look pretty much the same except the screen size. one is 14 inch while the other is 15.6 inch. value wise, 14 inch laptop tend to be more expensive than 15.6 inch and unless you need a big screen, i would go for the smaller laptop as that would be lighter and smaller to take around.
Bargainhead09/02/2020 09:28

Both the same really, unless your desperate for a fingerprint scanner, but …Both the same really, unless your desperate for a fingerprint scanner, but just one more thing to go wrong...

i have a fingerprint scanner on my new acer swift 3 laptop and i find it is not very responsive. you have to run your fingerprint over it a few times before it recognises the print. i haven't used it at all and can't see a use for it as i don't lock the laptop. i guess they would be useful if you lock your laptop but they need to be responsive otherwise it will be quicker to type in the password.
Thanks guys really appreciate your help. When it comes to laptops would one make be more reliable than the other?
LouiseWeezGriffiths09/02/2020 11:01

Thanks guys really appreciate your help. When it comes to laptops would …Thanks guys really appreciate your help. When it comes to laptops would one make be more reliable than the other?

I have no idea why you want a laptop. Your decision on what to buy should be based purely on what you want to use it for tempered by how much you can afford. I find 15.6" laptops far too cumbersome with their separate number keypads but if you are doing stacks of numerical input they would be brilliant.

Buying a laptop is a bit like buying a car. Do you need room for 4 passengers? a run around town model, long distance, rough terrain, speed, easily mended, popular, plenty of feature packed functions added by the manufacturer, loads of oomph so it can handle anything required, visually appealing, etc etc ???????????????
tardytortoise09/02/2020 11:53

I have no idea why you want a laptop. Your decision on what to buy should …I have no idea why you want a laptop. Your decision on what to buy should be based purely on what you want to use it for tempered by how much you can afford. I find 15.6" laptops far too cumbersome with their separate number keypads but if you are doing stacks of numerical input they would be brilliant.Buying a laptop is a bit like buying a car. Do you need room for 4 passengers? a run around town model, long distance, rough terrain, speed, easily mended, popular, plenty of feature packed functions added by the manufacturer, loads of oomph so it can handle anything required, visually appealing, etc etc ???????????????

I'm basically after a laptop for college work, playing light games such as old classic games from gog.com. watching films, surfing internet. Live streaming etc
LouiseWeezGriffiths09/02/2020 11:59

I'm basically after a laptop for college work, playing light games such as …I'm basically after a laptop for college work, playing light games such as old classic games from gog.com. watching films, surfing internet. Live streaming etc

This ticks all boxes and more ifyou are not too fussed about the OS:

ebay.co.uk/itm…hVj
Edited by: "tempt" 9th Feb
mutley109/02/2020 09:45

i have a fingerprint scanner on my new acer swift 3 laptop and i find it …i have a fingerprint scanner on my new acer swift 3 laptop and i find it is not very responsive. you have to run your fingerprint over it a few times before it recognises the print. i haven't used it at all and can't see a use for it as i don't lock the laptop. i guess they would be useful if you lock your laptop but they need to be responsive otherwise it will be quicker to type in the password.

you could always pin lock it, if needed as well..
Bargainhead09/02/2020 12:10

you could always pin lock it, if needed as well..

yes, this would even be quicker than password protect.

I'm basically after a laptop for college work, playing light games such as …I'm basically after a laptop for college work, playing light games such as old classic games from gog.com. watching films, surfing internet. Live streaming etc

if it is for college, i would really recommend the 14 inch screen as the larger 15.6 inch screen can be a bit too big to lug around campus as well as too heavy. not really heavy but when it comes to laptop, the lighter the better. also make sure you get a laptop with at least 10 hours battery life as in practicality that means 2 to 3 hours of constant use before you need to charge the laptop.
AndyRoyd09/02/2020 00:25

Best = the cheapest one, obviously.

Both the same price
Anyone know if there's better laptops out there for the same price?
LouiseWeezGriffiths09/02/2020 13:17

Anyone know if there's better laptops out there for the same price?

have a look on the deal section. look for

14 inch
i5 or ryzen 5 processor
8gb ram
ips screen
at least 256gb SSD drive
at least 10 hours of battery life

in terms of brand, they are all pretty comparable. i prefer HP over acer but the acer i have is very light and that is very important to me.

For your budget I would go for the silver one in this choice of 3
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
Use the curys website to set your criteria down the left hand side.
Visit the showroom - you cannt beat look and feel - you will have to live with your choice for 3 years or more. By all means then shop around for the exact model elsewhere for a better price - drive a hard bargain with currys.
Remember to factor in software. Do you need Microsoft Office? (I hope not - LibraOffice (free download, free to run) is more than adequate.)
Oh and Currys do trade-ins!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants