Posted 12th Oct 2021
My Dell 7373 decided to die yesterday and I've been frantically trying to find a replacement.
I usually have about 40 tabs open at the same time so ideally want something that will be capable.

I have ordered the huawei matebook13 amd.
I have no experience with huawei and watching YouTube videos so many people are sponsored or biased in some way.
I was attracted to the light weight but the battery life doesn't sound too good. Also started having second thoughts and moving to the intel branch as apparently battery life is better.
I also didn't like the fact i would need to buy an adapter for my usb connections (hard drives etc)

But now I have just ordered a DELL Inspiron 14 5415 14" Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7, 512 GB SSD. open unused from curry outlet for 500 (with the 75 discount code used).

But my experience with Dell isn't great so far. But i can't see Huawei being much better.

any opinions please? which one should I return? should I buy another one?

I forgot to mention my old laptop was a 2 in 1. Which I occasionally used the touch. it was a nice added feature which both these laptops don't have.

I did find this one Huawei MateBook X Pro Laptop i5-10210U 16GB RAM 512GB SSD 13.9" 3k IPS Touch W10
But it is for 680 which is 180 more than the previous 2. But i can't justify spending 180 more just for touch. unless the other features make up for the price.

My budget is around the 500 mark

I'm so confused so many specs to look out for.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
13 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Just wondering whether there could still be life in the old dog. When you say died, can you elaborate on this? Might be an easyish fix?
    With that model some versions of Linux Ubuntu struggles after laptop is suspended which may be a graphics or CPU issue which could also be present in Windows. Done any recent updates?
    Also, you might still get some life out of it if you repurpose it as a Linux machine - just don't suspend it - always perform full shutdown.
    edit - just discovered its not windows or linux - basically your dell model isa duff
    dell.com/com…e/2
    Edited by: "tardytortoise" 12th Oct 2021
  2. Avatar
    More often then not, the touch screen models have more brightness (NITS) and show more colours in the sRGB palette. Check the small print.

I get a new laptop from work every 12 months and IME the huawei have always been a disappointment. Looking like macbooks from the last decade, bad screens, processing power seemed to be less than expect, videos suggest b/c of cooling.

The £500 mark is such a bad price. You either get CPU power with bad screens and dimensions or a nice screen with a lower power CPU.

Simply put if you can get to the Dell XPS 13, with a voucher, Black Friday etc. you will get a nice computer. Its not always possible to go specs alone as to how good the computer will work out. If the battery is poor, if the CPU is limited b/c of thermals, if the screen is poor the whole thing is a dissapointment to look at. If the keyboard is flat....you see where im going?
    Edited by: "groenleader" 12th Oct 2021
  3. Avatar
    tardytortoise12/10/2021 10:54

Just wondering whether there could still be life in the old dog. When you …Just wondering whether there could still be life in the old dog. When you say died, can you elaborate on this? Might be an easyish fix?With that model some versions of Linux Ubuntu struggles after laptop is suspended which may be a graphics or CPU issue which could also be present in Windows. Done any recent updates?Also, you might still get some life out of it if you repurpose it as a Linux machine - just don't suspend it - always perform full shutdown.edit - just discovered its not windows or linux - basically your dell model isa duffhttps://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-Inspiron-13-7373-won-t-boot-up/td-p/7666539/page/2

Using pricespy and some of your criteria I found 5 windows laptops for your consideration - all touchscreen - some 2 in 1
    pricespy.co.uk/c/l…500
  4. Avatar
    First thing to do is cancel the Currys order, you'll live to regret it if you need to use their customer service should you have a problem.

Nothing wrong with Dell, millions of Dell laptops are used in the Corporate world every day.

Have a look on Dell outlet.
  5. Avatar
    I'm currently sat in front of a Dell (Latitude 5400) and a Huawei (matebook 14 AMD) and I have to say I prefer the Huawei by a long way. The Dell is touch screen and is basically an inconvenience rather than anything useful.

The Huawei doesn't struggle with battery, I can get a day out of it with normal work (IT development and testing), or a few hours if I'm gaming. On the gaming side it's perfectly fine, it's only a Ryzen 5 4500 so I'm not expecting huge performance but it performs well. The Dell struggles to run Teams and Outlook at the same time (although that could be due to the corporate software install including the most buggy version of Mcafee I've ever seen!).

The screen is nicer on the Huawei, the keyboards are comparable. Don't do web conferencing on the Huawei's though, your camera will switch between nostril hair and knuckles rather than showing your actual face.

If you want an alternative, Lenovo have a decent share of the market although some of their recent ones don't come with very good screens. As mentioned above, just going off specs won't help if the keyboard you're typing on and the screen you're looking at are rubbish.

Oh, and yes, cancel the Curry's order... it's not worth the headache if anything is wrong.
  6. Avatar
    40 tabs? How do you keep track of that many?
    You need a decent amount of memory - the more tabs you have open the more memory the browser uses. Especially I.E
  7. Avatar
    Author

Just wondering whether there could still be life in the old dog. When you …Just wondering whether there could still be life in the old dog. When you say died, can you elaborate on this? Might be an easyish fix?With that model some versions of Linux Ubuntu struggles after laptop is suspended which may be a graphics or CPU issue which could also be present in Windows. Done any recent updates?Also, you might still get some life out of it if you repurpose it as a Linux machine - just don't suspend it - always perform full shutdown.edit - just discovered its not windows or linux - basically your dell model isa duffhttps://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-Inspiron-13-7373-won-t-boot-up/td-p/7666539/page/2

I was using it and it just powered off. When I go to switch it on it lights up for a totally of 3 seconds (the keyboard backlight) then the light comes off.
    To be fair it had stopped becoming a laptop for a very long time as it had to be constantly plugged in (the battery life was terrible from the start and diminished even faster).
    Yes it is just a mid range laptop but has lasted me 4 years the warranty ended in January sadly enough.
    I did buy the xps 13 3 years ago for my husband and it died a year ago but we were abroad at the time and managed to get it fixed for under 50£ And is still going strong now.
  8. Avatar
    Bigfootpete12/10/2021 13:40

40 tabs? How do you keep track of that many? You need a decent amount of …40 tabs? How do you keep track of that many? You need a decent amount of memory - the more tabs you have open the more memory the browser uses. Especially I.E

I tend to have 30+ running usually as well. Many of the Apps I use for work (Consoles/ILO's etc.) run in Browser tabs....

The secret is Tab grouping in chrome
  9. Avatar
    Author
    Bigfootpete12/10/2021 13:40

40 tabs? How do you keep track of that many? You need a decent amount of …40 tabs? How do you keep track of that many? You need a decent amount of memory - the more tabs you have open the more memory the browser uses. Especially I.E

I use chrome, I didn't realise it uses that much. My laptop never got hot and the fans never really made noise unless I had the laptop on my blanket.
    I don't like closing tabs, I have a wierd habit haha. I always feel like I have to save them for later ( when shopping for something specific) eg ps4 cards I have like 3 sites open which i regularly check to see if they have codes or price has gone down.
    So I'm looking for something that won't get hot or noisy when I open that many tabs.
  10. Avatar
    Author
    slimy3112/10/2021 12:56

I'm currently sat in front of a Dell (Latitude 5400) and a Huawei …I'm currently sat in front of a Dell (Latitude 5400) and a Huawei (matebook 14 AMD) and I have to say I prefer the Huawei by a long way. The Dell is touch screen and is basically an inconvenience rather than anything useful.The Huawei doesn't struggle with battery, I can get a day out of it with normal work (IT development and testing), or a few hours if I'm gaming. On the gaming side it's perfectly fine, it's only a Ryzen 5 4500 so I'm not expecting huge performance but it performs well. The Dell struggles to run Teams and Outlook at the same time (although that could be due to the corporate software install including the most buggy version of Mcafee I've ever seen!). The screen is nicer on the Huawei, the keyboards are comparable. Don't do web conferencing on the Huawei's though, your camera will switch between nostril hair and knuckles rather than showing your actual face.If you want an alternative, Lenovo have a decent share of the market although some of their recent ones don't come with very good screens. As mentioned above, just going off specs won't help if the keyboard you're typing on and the screen you're looking at are rubbish.Oh, and yes, cancel the Curry's order... it's not worth the headache if anything is wrong.

Is curry eBay the same as the currys store? I have generally had a good experience wuth curry. My last 2 laptops being brought in store (But i didn't have much other choices at the time)

My last laptop (before the dell was a Lenovo 2 in 1 and died in the first year). How about asus zenbooks do you have any opinion on them?

I think your Huawei has better spec than the one I ordered. The battery life on the huawei 13 amd is not great hence why I was thinking of buying the Intel version.
  11. Avatar
    Author
    groenleader12/10/2021 11:07

More often then not, the touch screen models have more brightness (NITS) …More often then not, the touch screen models have more brightness (NITS) and show more colours in the sRGB palette. Check the small print. I get a new laptop from work every 12 months and IME the huawei have always been a disappointment. Looking like macbooks from the last decade, bad screens, processing power seemed to be less than expect, videos suggest b/c of cooling. The £500 mark is such a bad price. You either get CPU power with bad screens and dimensions or a nice screen with a lower power CPU. Simply put if you can get to the Dell XPS 13, with a voucher, Black Friday etc. you will get a nice computer. Its not always possible to go specs alone as to how good the computer will work out. If the battery is poor, if the CPU is limited b/c of thermals, if the screen is poor the whole thing is a dissapointment to look at. If the keyboard is flat....you see where im going?

What's your opinion on this laptop ASUS ZenBook 13 Laptop Intel Core i5-1135G7 8GB RAM 512GB SSD+32GB Opt 13.3" FHD ?
  12. Avatar
    Author

Any opinions on this one? ASUS ZenBook 13 UX325EA Full HD 13.3" Laptop (Intel i5-1135G7, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, 32GB Intel Optane Memory, Windows 10) Includes LED NumberPad & Sleeve for £575
  13. Avatar
    sazal12/10/2021 15:48

Any opinions on this one? ASUS ZenBook 13 UX325EA Full HD 13.3" Laptop …Any opinions on this one? ASUS ZenBook 13 UX325EA Full HD 13.3" Laptop (Intel i5-1135G7, 8GB RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, 32GB Intel Optane Memory, Windows 10) Includes LED NumberPad & Sleeve for £575

I'm a bit biased when it comes to laptops. The most I have ever paid out for a laptop is £100 for refurb and that was just about 2 years ago - still going strong running Linux. I have some others knocking around which again are either refurbs or hand me overs from friends and family. I have a 20 year old tower desktop now being run as a file server. With experience of a few makes I now have a rule of thumb which is never mess about with anything that begins with the letter "A" and wherever possible stick with Lenovo, HP or Dell. I also avoid anything "innovative" sticking to tried and tested so a LED Number Pad would put me right off.
Post a comment
Discussions
Top Merchants