Which laptop would suit a music student?

Found 25th Aug 2017
My son is going to Uni next month and needs a laptop to use (He already has a PC) He is a music student and will be involved with production side, but will mostly use the studio and his PC but needs some functionality on his laptop. I've seen 2 deals in the last few days, which would be best does anyone think?

IdeaPad 710S or MSI GL62 7QF Gaming Laptop? Both are the same price

Many thanks for any advice
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Get him to checkout ubuntu studio, it's an operating system with media apps already loaded. Don't get a gaming PC it's pointless. Get something like a second hand HP Beats Auto for about £400 for an i7. Rugged beast with great music system should be ideal and leave plenty of money for beans & pasta :-)
I have heard about a laptop that can sing really well, I think it's a Dell.
What software will he be using? If he's using software that runs on both Mac OS and Windows, does the Uni recommend one or the other?
Original Poster
dxx6 h, 32 m ago

What software will he be using? If he's using software that runs on both …What software will he be using? If he's using software that runs on both Mac OS and Windows, does the Uni recommend one or the other?

The Uni use Macs in the studio, but he uses a standard PC and is not keen on apple products.
Original Poster
PulisOut22 h, 54 m ago

Get him to checkout ubuntu studio, it's an operating system with media …Get him to checkout ubuntu studio, it's an operating system with media apps already loaded. Don't get a gaming PC it's pointless. Get something like a second hand HP Beats Auto for about £400 for an i7. Rugged beast with great music system should be ideal and leave plenty of money for beans & pasta :-)

Sounds interesting, thanks. Any idea where I'd find a second hand HP Beats? Thanks
shropshirelass511 h, 10 m ago

Sounds interesting, thanks. Any idea where I'd find a second hand HP …Sounds interesting, thanks. Any idea where I'd find a second hand HP Beats? Thanks

Just to be clear I meant the two options;

One - buy a HP Beats with CPU i7-4700MQ - should get that for under £400 on eBay as it might be 2-3 years old - use windows

Two - any with decent laptop with good sound ASUS, DELL, HP and then install unbuntu studio for software - this gives you free music making software but in linux based.

The reason I gave both is I'm not sure unbuntu has the wifi drivers for the HP Beats so I don't want you buying that and not being able to use it with unbuntu studio.

Keep an eye on ebay but only buy from private buyer - ignore anything refurbished, check the thing for signs of heavy use.
shropshirelass511 h, 15 m ago

The Uni use Macs in the studio, but he uses a standard PC and is not keen …The Uni use Macs in the studio, but he uses a standard PC and is not keen on apple products.

What software, though?

It's an important question because not all software is platform-agnostic. This means that he won't necessarily be able to follow tutorials, or work on projects with both his laptop and the uni computers. You really need to seek the uni's recommendation of whether to go Mac or Windows, and what software he'll need to go with it.

Regarding Ubuntu Studio and HP Beats laptops, I wouldn't put too much stock in them. Ubuntu Studio is some okay-ish freeware, but it's not something I'd stifle a formal education with. I presume your boy's wanting to study music with an eye toward working in the industry, and at that, he'd be better using the software they actually use in the industry. Transferable skills from one package isn't anywhere near as compelling to an employer as direct experience in something.

HP's Beats Audio stuff is irrelevant - it's unlikely he'll use any of any laptop's built-in audio capabilities anyway. For a creator, you need four key things with audio hardware. Those are accurate audio reproduction (which simply won't be possible with laptop speakers), high-quality inputs and outputs, and tight audio latency. Computers offer none of those things as standard, so he'll need to use a separate audio interface, and that makes any advantage HP Beats gear might have completely moot.
Original Poster
PulisOut16 h, 59 m ago

Just to be clear I meant the two options;One - buy a HP Beats with CPU …Just to be clear I meant the two options;One - buy a HP Beats with CPU i7-4700MQ - should get that for under £400 on eBay as it might be 2-3 years old - use windowsTwo - any with decent laptop with good sound ASUS, DELL, HP and then install unbuntu studio for software - this gives you free music making software but in linux based.The reason I gave both is I'm not sure unbuntu has the wifi drivers for the HP Beats so I don't want you buying that and not being able to use it with unbuntu studio.Keep an eye on ebay but only buy from private buyer - ignore anything refurbished, check the thing for signs of heavy use.

Thank you for your help, will speak to my son
Original Poster
dxx16 h, 59 m ago

What software, though? It's an important question because not all software …What software, though? It's an important question because not all software is platform-agnostic. This means that he won't necessarily be able to follow tutorials, or work on projects with both his laptop and the uni computers. You really need to seek the uni's recommendation of whether to go Mac or Windows, and what software he'll need to go with it. Regarding Ubuntu Studio and HP Beats laptops, I wouldn't put too much stock in them. Ubuntu Studio is some okay-ish freeware, but it's not something I'd stifle a formal education with. I presume your boy's wanting to study music with an eye toward working in the industry, and at that, he'd be better using the software they actually use in the industry. Transferable skills from one package isn't anywhere near as compelling to an employer as direct experience in something. HP's Beats Audio stuff is irrelevant - it's unlikely he'll use any of any laptop's built-in audio capabilities anyway. For a creator, you need four key things with audio hardware. Those are accurate audio reproduction (which simply won't be possible with laptop speakers), high-quality inputs and outputs, and tight audio latency. Computers offer none of those things as standard, so he'll need to use a separate audio interface, and that makes any advantage HP Beats gear might have completely moot.

Thanks for your help. I think he really wants a generic fast laptop as he will be using his PC and the studio for most work. I don't think we can afford anything that uses the software they will. I think a Mac would possibly be the best option, but we can't really afford it and he has an aversion to apple (which he will have to get over) In view of your comments it is probably wise to wait til he actually starts Uni, I guess.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants