Groups

Which MacBook Pro?

Hi All

Looking for opinions on which MacBook Pro to get. I would appreciate the larger screen size and higher spec (understandably an older gen i7). However, I'm thinking about the resale value in a couple of years time, and obviously I want to stay as up to date as possible.

What would everyone get out of the 2? Not looking for a Windows PC debate.

2016/17 - 13 inch model

2.3GHz Processor

256GB Storage

2.3GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i5 processor

Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

8GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory

256GB SSD storage1

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640

Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

£1,304.40

2015 - 15 inch model (Also from the Apple Store)

2.2GHz Processor

256GB Storage

2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor

Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz

16GB 1600MHz memory

256GB SSD storage1

Intel Iris Pro Graphics

Two Thunderbolt 2 ports

£1,708.80

Thanks in advance.

8 Comments

the price difference is quite considerable. have you looked at certified refurbs from apple?

Original Poster

mattsokolinski

the price difference is quite considerable. have you looked at certified … the price difference is quite considerable. have you looked at certified refurbs from apple?

I understand that, i'm happy to look at options in between but they don't vary much other than the touch bar. Any memory customisation etc have to be built to order which means waiting longer. I probably wouldn't get a refurb as if I'm paying this much, I'd like it to be new and would also take out Apple Care.

clarkee95

I understand that, i'm happy to look at options in between but they don't … I understand that, i'm happy to look at options in between but they don't vary much other than the touch bar. Any memory customisation etc have to be built to order which means waiting longer. I probably wouldn't get a refurb as if I'm paying this much, I'd like it to be new and would also take out Apple Care.

refurbs come with 1year warranty and you can get apple care on top. so technically you are only missing out on 1 year standard warranty which is superseded by apple care anyway

If you know a friendly student you can usually also get a further 10-15% discount from Apple higher Education store....

personally I'd go for the older non touchbar model if not just for the extra ports, especially the Magsafe power connector...

If you go down the route of getting yourself an NUS card from one of the threads on here, then the prices are better from Apple. Plus AppleCare is cheaper as well.

Cakeboy795 h, 25 m ago

If you go down the route of getting yourself an NUS card from one of the …If you go down the route of getting yourself an NUS card from one of the threads on here, then the prices are better from Apple. Plus AppleCare is cheaper as well.

you dont need apple care with student (ish) the device has a standard warranty for 3 years. also its only 10% now

mattsokolinski9 h, 45 m ago

you dont need apple care with student (ish) the device has a standard …you dont need apple care with student (ish) the device has a standard warranty for 3 years. also its only 10% now

My bad, I picked up AppleCare with my iMac for £49.99 instead of something well over £100. That was last year though

Cakeboy791 h, 6 m ago

My bad, I picked up AppleCare with my iMac for £49.99 instead of something …My bad, I picked up AppleCare with my iMac for £49.99 instead of something well over £100. That was last year though

yeah apple care is cheaper with student but you have to weigh the pro's and con's. I dont think apple care covers accidental damage on laptops. I remember when I bought mac air from my perspective it was 50 quid for telephone support since as student I had warranty for 3 years as standard
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie22
      2. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers24
      3. love affairs12
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767197

See more discussions