Which martial art for me?

Posted 27th Oct
I'm 40+, my knees are worn but work just about, I'm pretty healthy with swimming and jogging , Ive got it into my head I want to learn a type of martial art, but I've got no friends into it to ask, no experience of any sorts either, and a fair few clubs near me, how do I decide which to go for?
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Watch UFC (other mixed martial arts organisations are available) - pick out the style that holds most appeal
.. or why not join a mixed martial art club!?
ju jitsu/mma/bjj defiantly

benefits
stretching
positions
mental health/working out next positions
stamina
resistance training
human contact

good all round
especially at our age anything is hard but with
repetition/persistent and a little bit of effort you’ll see the benefits
good luck
Origami
If you have any back issues avoid bjj and wrestling, i used to go to a mixed martial arts academy 4 times a week for years, but found kickboxing sessions didn't harm my back at all but I'd be in pain for days after lying on the floor with bjj constantly lifting up legs and neck, fine if your dont have any niggles with your back though
Start off with something gentle (ish) like Tai Chi. If you want to progress from there you can look at the more combative martial arts, but it's a good start, and many people stick with the disciplines etc after they move on.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 27th Oct
It all depends what you want to learn it for. Do you want to compete in tournaments? Do you want to improve your own self defence? Do you want to improve your own fitness levels? Different arts offer different things to different people. Do you want to learn with a large group or a smaller, more focused environment?

Might be worth going along to a few in the area and see if you like what you see. There are also lots of differences in teaching styles between different sensei/shihan/masters. Good luck
My dad is 53 and just started classes to help him get fit and loves it! The club he goes to does four classes a week - two are BJJ, one is a Krav Maga and the other is MMA where they do some sparing. Loves it and in just a few months is much healthier, confident and stronger. He also suffered with injuries as he used to be a rock climber! Go to a few classes and try them out.
Try boxing great way to get fit and if you want more try Thai boxing, no need to compete if you don't want to.
Try Emma May training. Heard it's good.
A lot of it will depend on what’s available around you, as you might not find decent instructors for some martial arts anywhere near you. A couple that spring to mind would be Aikido and Tai Chi if your knees are worn. Probably stay clear of martial arts like Wushu as you’ll be jumping all over the place
Avoid anything MMA, you will become wrecked. You have to put slot of faith in the person you are grappling with, it takes very little pressure to pop a joint.
Boxing (although not a martial art) might be a good thing as you would get a good cardio workout, learn how to avoid punches and you wouldn't be (as) hampered by your knees. I feel your pain as my knees pop out on a regular basis.
I recommend aikido, hapkido or kung fu
Try Kenjutsu which is Japanese swordsmanship
I done mainly Karate as a kid/young adult, also did Tae Kwon Do, Aikido and Judo. Maybe just got to pick one or two and try them and see what you like best/suits your body. I was thinking of getting back into it as well at some point.
In case anybody here (in this thread) has anything constructive to add in this recent thread...

"Push Ups for 9 year old"

(a specific enquiry for martial arts training; although not immediately apparent from the thread description/opening comment[s])
Maggy123427/10/2019 10:32

Boxing (although not a martial art)

I don't know about that. While 'martial arts' might have started as a phrase for mainly unarmed styles in the eastern tradition, it's use does seem to have expanded more in recent years to be more like it's face value, any of the arts of combat. Search for 'western martial arts' and you'll find lots of organisations for swordmanship and so on
If your knee troubles relate to early onset osteoarthritis it might be worth asking your doctor about glucosamine sulphate with chondritin and MSM. There are some supporting research articles and purely from personal experience it helped my OA and injury repair. As for the martial art I’d lean towards Tai chi. Careful resistance training 3 days per week to negate muscle atrophy and swimming is great cardio without joint impact. Good luck whatever you choose.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants