which media streamer can support Prime Video, Netflix, and Now TV?

Found 16th Jan 2016
trying to find a single solution for legal media streaming as we now have access to Amazon Prime Video / Netflix / Now TV ...

Netflix seems to be supported on almost any device

Amazon Prime clearly on Fire TV devices and on Android boxes with some fiddling - but the quality is not good on my Sumvision X4

Now TV obviously on their own box but I understand you cannot add Netflix / Amazon Prime to these devices and Now TV will not work on the android boxes or Fire TV

I did think to use my new Linx 8 tablet via Chromecast but I cannot get the casting function to work

The only device I have not tried is Apple TV ....

but would also like to keep Kodi for the odd time I cannot get a fully legal source for a movie / box set

any ideas folks - any help gratefully received

thanks

EliTom
Community Updates
21 Comments
Roku 2XS and and maybe other versions will do what you require but not sure about Kodi.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 16th Jan 2016
Original Poster
should have said - also want to be able to stream media from my home network NAS

is this all too much for one device?

EliTom
Original Poster
OBH6UK

Roku 2XS and and maybe other versions will do what you require but not … Roku 2XS and and maybe other versions will do what you require but not sure about Kodi.

thanks - will look into Rokus - but is the Now TV box not just a modified Roku?
elitom

thanks - will look into Rokus - but is the Now TV box not just a … thanks - will look into Rokus - but is the Now TV box not just a modified Roku?

​Yes it is,its modified to block things like Netflix and Amazon Prime. You could also look at Chromecast.
elitom

thanks - will look into Rokus - but is the Now TV box not just a … thanks - will look into Rokus - but is the Now TV box not just a modified Roku?

Yes but different firmware, so you cant add much to it but Plex.
A PS3 will do prime, Netflix and now tv
Xbox 1
Original Poster
LtfdTony

Xbox 1

this is the latest xbox right?

going to be way to expensive as I am not a gamer at all !

EliTom
ktm666

A PS3 will do prime, Netflix and now tv

YUP. had a ps3 just for that. does plex work or the ps3 too?

OP, pick up a cheap slim ps3 and will do what you need. bonus is that its also a blu ray player. Last time I checked, Prime, Netflix and Nowtv were all apps on the ps3. now how long the ps3 will be supported for is another thing all together. but for now, its the best option imo.
Original Poster
EN1GMA

YUP. had a ps3 just for that. does plex work or the ps3 too? OP, pick up … YUP. had a ps3 just for that. does plex work or the ps3 too? OP, pick up a cheap slim ps3 and will do what you need. bonus is that its also a blu ray player. Last time I checked, Prime, Netflix and Nowtv were all apps on the ps3. now how long the ps3 will be supported for is another thing all together. but for now, its the best option imo.

sounds good ....

can a PS3 be used to play media files over a network from a NAS? Does Plex not require the files to be on a dedicated Plex Server?

thanks for the info

EliTom
Original Poster
OK - looking at PS3 ....

can get one for a decent price from my local CEX and with 2 year warranty .... could be an option

but two critical questions ...... maybe stupid questions too !!

can you stream media from a NAS ?

how do you control the PS3 - as in what remote can you use - or do you have to user the wired games controller

not bothered about games but if it makes a decent media player / streamer then may go for one

thanks in advance

EliTom
ok the ps3 will stream direct from a Nas box using dlna. only thing is found it that it will not play certain file types. mkv being one of them. always had trouble with that. plex does require a plex server to be running somewhere on your network. I use a firestick for kodi for all my Nas stuff and my ps4 for now TV.
Original Poster
talset

ok the ps3 will stream direct from a Nas box using dlna. only thing is … ok the ps3 will stream direct from a Nas box using dlna. only thing is found it that it will not play certain file types. mkv being one of them. always had trouble with that. plex does require a plex server to be running somewhere on your network. I use a firestick for kodi for all my Nas stuff and my ps4 for now TV.

thanks for that

yes some stuff on NAS is mkv !

does the content have to be on the Plex Server? or can you have content on the NAS and stream to a PS3 via a PC running Plex Server?

Just really want to have one device to do all

thanks

EliTom
I have done that in the past. stuff on Nas ran plex on the pc then used the ps3 to steam. good thing is before you buy a Ps3 set up plex media server on the pc and use the app on say android tablet or other device of you have one. you can get a feel for it before taking the plunge.
Nvidia Shield ticks all the boxs although let me figure out NOWTV I think its possible but about to head out. Will tinker around later. Another good point for the shield is it'll do the rest in 4K @ 60fps also (including Youtube). I can cast from my android devices but have never checked my Linx 7 Win tablet do that also later!
Original Poster
cecilmcroberts

Nvidia Shield ticks all the boxs although let me figure out NOWTV I think … Nvidia Shield ticks all the boxs although let me figure out NOWTV I think its possible but about to head out. Will tinker around later. Another good point for the shield is it'll do the rest in 4K @ 60fps also (including Youtube). I can cast from my android devices but have never checked my Linx 7 Win tablet do that also later!

cheers mate!

Shield will be too costly and I want really a fixed device

but checking the Linx 8 /7 would be good - I could not get the Chromecast app to istall / work

EliTom
elitom

sounds good ....can a PS3 be used to play media files over a network from … sounds good ....can a PS3 be used to play media files over a network from a NAS? Does Plex not require the files to be on a dedicated Plex Server?thanks for the infoEliTom

i used to have a NAS drive set up which played through via the ps3. but yeah, not sure if all files types will play. everyone of my files did but i think they were in MP4 so everything worked.
Original Poster
well just picked up a PS3 Slim from CEX

now got yo work out how the bl00dy thing works - never had a gaming console before

EliTom
elitom

cheers mate!Shield will be too costly and I want really a fixed devicebut … cheers mate!Shield will be too costly and I want really a fixed devicebut checking the Linx 8 /7 would be good - I could not get the Chromecast app to istall / workEliTom

So my Linx is on Win10. Swipe from the right to bring up quick settings - choose "connect" then click on your devices name you wish to "mirror" too. Mine brought up my TV which is DLNA enabled and also my Amazon Firestick (Miracast) once I set its screen mirroring to on. Then just click on whichever you wish to cast too.
Seen the shield was out of your budget so didn't bother checking it for NowTv.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KVuKxVah00s/Vpq7pK53_2I/AAAAAAAABhw/UNv-eNuNOUM/s912-Ic42/IMG_20160116_214320.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_IKeIXXCRaQ/Vpq7pL2cOeI/AAAAAAAABh4/eaDR5rU0Dag/s912-Ic42/IMG_20160116_214434.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JWnaIZ4m3ps/Vpq7pSXZJhI/AAAAAAAABiA/LfoHI1rbGkk/s912-Ic42/IMG_20160116_214303.jpg

This thread had helped me loads too. Been looking for a media device for my Mrs as she refuses to buy a smart tv just for this. A 2nd hand ps3 will be perfect ad a bluray player too
Original Poster
itsdavidjones1984

This thread had helped me loads too. Been looking for a media device for … This thread had helped me loads too. Been looking for a media device for my Mrs as she refuses to buy a smart tv just for this. A 2nd hand ps3 will be perfect ad a bluray player too

I would highly recommend visiting your local CEX - my local has at least 4 or 5 PS3 Slims in stock.

at least if you get a dodgy one you can return it for an exchange - and in theory 24 month warranty - but that is by CEX T&Cs - so not perfect, but better than nowt!

look on FS/FT and try and buy a CEX voucher at 80% of face value then buy in stotre at CEX with voucher - 20% off price

and also look on CEX for the BD Remote - makes navigation and playback functionality much easier than using teh gaming controller

EliTom
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants