Found 5th Sep 2010
Which method of powering down a computer allows for fast restoration even if the power is turned off at the wall?

I usually just shutdown completely, but I seem to remember another way that avoids the need to wait (forever) for rebooting.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
8 Comments

Possibly sleep, but then if it was switched off at the wall then i wouldn't of thought that would work.

Its hibernate you are thinking of.

Original Poster

Keithoms

I was thinking this, but cant understand where the power to keep everything in the RAM comes from, or does it not need any?

Banned

Keithoms

no, its not.

NEVER turn off the power at the plug when in any standby state. You'll lose all your data in RAM and possibly cause OS problems.

Banned

I just use Sleep mode. Only ever re-boot once a week and hardly ever shutdown completely

sleep uses about 2 watts so costs about 50p per year lol

I program a function key to bring it out and into sleep mode and press that even when leaving my pc for 30 minutes
Edited by: "csiman" 5th Sep 2010

Predikuesi

I was thinking this, but cant understand where the power to keep … I was thinking this, but cant understand where the power to keep everything in the RAM comes from, or does it not need any?

Hibernate stores everything on the hard drive rather than the RAM. This means the computer will be fully shut down, but allows for it to return to the same state later in the same way as sleep.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll give hibernate a go. I considered sleep but I'm one of those people that don't like to leave too many things plugged in, though not for carbon footprint reasons.

what andrew said. sleep uses low power to keep everything in RAM, hibernate dumps the RAM to a file.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247651
    2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428114655
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming2643
    4. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21113

See more discussions