Which mobile networks/operators dont let you go over data limit?

Found 20th FebEdited by:"darkovo"
Hi,
I'm currently with EE and once data is used up it just stops working, which is ideal as I don't want to go over my limit and get charged more by accident.

I'm looking to switch to a better plan due to end of contract, so may have to move networks, but want this same data limit option. Which other networks allow you to have this?

I know you can set data limits on the phone and get reminders/alerts etc, but my experience is it doesn't help me, it's too easy to still go over the data limit!

Thanks

****************************************************************************************************************************
Just to be clear, I want a forced cap, not a way to look at how much data I have remaining.
I'm also looking for other people, so a forced cap is what is required by us all.
****************************************************************************************************************************
Community Updates
AskMobile
27 Comments
ah this only applies to ee home users, my friend found out businesses are not so lucky and get auto topped up at approx £20 per 4Gb :O
Your phone should do it for you. Mine does (Motorola MotoG4 running Android). You can also set a warning.

Plusnet email me weekly how much I have left on my bundle each month
ccnp1 m ago

Your phone should do it for you. Mine does (Motorola MotoG4 running …Your phone should do it for you. Mine does (Motorola MotoG4 running Android). You can also set a warning.Plusnet email me weekly how much I have left on my bundle each month

Yup I know, but not what I want I'm afraid.
Think you can do this with Tesco mobile when I’ve looked at them.Best thing for you to do is go and check each individual network and see for yourself if they offer it or not.
Poppyj14 m ago

Think you can do this with Tesco mobile when I’ve looked at them.Best t …Think you can do this with Tesco mobile when I’ve looked at them.Best thing for you to do is go and check each individual network and see for yourself if they offer it or not.

Thanks for your advice, I'll have fun ringing all the networks now...
darkovo6 m ago

Thanks for your advice, I'll have fun ringing all the networks now...

Just check the individual websites as that’s how I found out about Tesco when I was looking at them. Saves ringing around being put through to different departments as nobody has a clue. Maybe check Uswitch website and see if you can filter providers who offer that.
Edited by: "Poppyj1" 20th Feb
Or see if this first site on Google offers any insight into what you are looking at. Click Me
Tesco and giffgaff I know of or in the settings on all android phones. So that works on any network. Just set the limit on the phone and you get a warning notification although it's not accurate, but is on the side of being to high ( showing more than you have used)
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Feb
Poppyj19 m ago

Or see if this first site on Google offers any insight into what you are …Or see if this first site on Google offers any insight into what you are looking at. Click Me

Thanks for the link, not sure its reliable though seeing as it says EE doesn't allow capped data while I have it doing this for me already on EE.

I'll dig around on the various sites themselves though.

And of course also check any networks people on here mention allow the cap.
Yeah.. Any phone has this function built in so easy enough to control. Link here to... how to
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Feb
You can constantly see how much you have on the Vodafone app. They text me when I’m 200mb off of using all of my data too.
Just to be clear, I want a forced cap, not a way to look at how much data I have remaining.
I'm also looking for other people, so a forced cap is what is required by us all.
You can cap it on Vodafone.
Vodafone do Data Cap, it text you at 80% and 100% then it stops.
You can set your spend on Three. From £0 upwards. Good prices too.
my kids 1st phone was with Tesco and I set up a data cap so she couldn't go over.
BT allow a spend cap of £5 of multiples of, so you can use the allowance and £5 extra, then restricted.
_-Richie-_20th Feb

BT allow a spend cap of £5 of multiples of, so you can use the allowance …BT allow a spend cap of £5 of multiples of, so you can use the allowance and £5 extra, then restricted.

So you could end up spending £5 extra a month by accident? Or do they allow a cap so there is no way you can go over?
Yes, the allowance plus no more than £5, It can't be set at £0.
_-Richie-_20th Feb

Yes, the allowance plus no more than £5, It can't be set at £0.

OK, thanks for the info. I don't like the idea of that, it has to be £0 extra charges per month.
Android has had a forced cap for years, I've set it up for loads of family members, I generally do a warning at 75% and a disconnect at 95%, works fine.
Tesco ( minimum cap £2.50 )
Edited by: "kashifchopra" 21st Feb
Vodafone , so long as you tick/activate in your user settings which you can do with your My Vodafone App!
darkovo15 h, 45 m ago

Yup I know, but not what I want I'm afraid.

So you are creating solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Please explain the difference between phone setting to stop you from overusing data and the network stopping you from overusing data ?
Got our kids monthly contracts from Three. They set it so they can ever go over the limit so if run out of data then it just stops until the monthly date comes around.
ID also have a cap
O2 does this, once you use up your data, it cuts off.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants