Which Monitor?

Posted 20th Dec 2019
Hi, I have a 22" monitor on my desk at the moment and looking to get another. I need it to be:

24" (or up to 27" bevel-less)
Headphone Jack
Vesa Wall Mount
HDMI (2 ideally, but can manage with 1)

I've rounded it down to this -

amazon.co.uk/Phi…-21

Only concerns are:

No 'eye care' that the Benq has
Only 1 HDMI port, meaning I'd have to buy a switch for it

My budget is £99 absolute maximum. What do you guys think? Is there a better alternative for the money?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
Hi, just some questions so I can filter to a better monitor, what do you use the monitor for, I assume your computer and a console? Also how important are the viewing angles/ colours, if it’s important an IPS would be better, if not a TN can suffice, while also having better response times for those games (if that’s also a use case).

I wouldn’t recommend a 27” 1080p monitor as it in my opinion is too much, 24” is the sweet spot for 1080p. Also the BenQ Eye Care is fancy language for Flicker Free Technology and also being able to reduce blue light.
I found this BenQ monitor:

amazon.co.uk/gp/…PC7

It has a VA panel so better colours and viewing angles than a TN, usually better black levels and doesn’t have the usual IPS glow issue
Here’s the same monitor in further details for exact specs:

displayspecifications.com/en/model/a54fdee

Seems to be quite decent, fits your requirement specification, keep in mind that it doesn’t have any built in speakers but it does have Vesa support, a 3.5mm output and 2 HDMI 1.4 ports as well as those extra ‘Eye Care’ features.

Also, brightness levels are decent but not exceptional.
Edited by: "hasnain" 21st Dec 2019
Hi, thanks so much. The thing is, my monitor now is 21.5". Is it really worth the hassle of selling it to then get one slightly bigger at 24"?

My laptop will be docked to it. Will be used for PC stuff. Not gaming really. Maybe the occasional mini console hooked up to it.
hasnain21/12/2019 00:51

I found this BenQ monitor:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0752RFPC7It …I found this BenQ monitor:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0752RFPC7It has a VA panel so better colours and viewing angles than a TN, usually better black levels and doesn’t have the usual IPS glow issue

Almost perfect but the Q&As state no headphone jack so wouldn't be able to connect my digits speakers directly to it which is what I need.

Edit - your specs list say otherwise.

It's perfect, just not a massive upgrade in size from 21.5 which is a concern.
Edited by: "superfreddy" 21st Dec 2019
24 inch is great for 1080p displays and 27 is great for 1440p. In my opinion 1080p on a 27 inch monitor looks odd
Misly21/12/2019 09:21

24 inch is great for 1080p displays and 27 is great for 1440p. In my …24 inch is great for 1080p displays and 27 is great for 1440p. In my opinion 1080p on a 27 inch monitor looks odd

Thanks, I'm going to take the advice and get 24". I think 27" would be a little too big.

Not sure why 1080p would look bad on a bigger monitor though. It doesn't on 32" TV's?
deleted142888321/12/2019 08:03

Almost perfect but the Q&As state no headphone jack so wouldn't be able to …Almost perfect but the Q&As state no headphone jack so wouldn't be able to connect my digits speakers directly to it which is what I need.Edit - your specs list say otherwise.It's perfect, just not a massive upgrade in size from 21.5 which is a concern.

It may not seem big but you will see the difference
deleted142888321/12/2019 09:22

Thanks, I'm going to take the advice and get 24". I think 27" would be a …Thanks, I'm going to take the advice and get 24". I think 27" would be a little too big.Not sure why 1080p would look bad on a bigger monitor though. It doesn't on 32" TV's?

I my self always hava a 1080p 24 inch. And I heard many people say 27 looks odd but never had one my self
Misly21/12/2019 09:26

I my self always hava a 1080p 24 inch. And I heard many people say 27 …I my self always hava a 1080p 24 inch. And I heard many people say 27 looks odd but never had one my self

Do you think the Benq monitor is decent?
Misly21/12/2019 09:29

For the price yes

Thanks. I don't think I can get anything better for the money. The 2 HDMI ports built in saves me £10 on buying a switch.

The lack of built in speakers is a shame, however I normally have my externals hooked up.

Anything you can recommend for the same price?
deleted142888321/12/2019 09:31

Thanks. I don't think I can get anything better for the money. The 2 HDMI …Thanks. I don't think I can get anything better for the money. The 2 HDMI ports built in saves me £10 on buying a switch.The lack of built in speakers is a shame, however I normally have my externals hooked up.Anything you can recommend for the same price?

No, I never looked into cheap monitors so i dont know about many. This one should be fine for casual use though.
Misly21/12/2019 09:32

No, I never looked into cheap monitors so i dont know about many. This one …No, I never looked into cheap monitors so i dont know about many. This one should be fine for casual use though.

What do you use?
Misly21/12/2019 09:45

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-R241Y-23-8-inch-Monitor-ZeroFrame-x/dp/B01DZ2W1DS

Why is it crappy?
Misly21/12/2019 09:48

60hz, one hdmi, no display ports, no usb ports

I would have liked a USB port.
60hz is ok for this size monitor though right?
deleted142888321/12/2019 09:48

I would have liked a USB port. 60hz is ok for this size monitor though …I would have liked a USB port. 60hz is ok for this size monitor though right?

Depends what you're doing normal office work and casual gaming 60hz is fine just if you like to game more often on some more serious games higher refresh rate monitors are better
Misly21/12/2019 09:50

Depends what you're doing normal office work and casual gaming 60hz is …Depends what you're doing normal office work and casual gaming 60hz is fine just if you like to game more often on some more serious games higher refresh rate monitors are better

Mainly mine will be internet, youtube, that kind of stuff.

I'll also be streaming my PS4 to it, or even connecting it to it for occasional use.
Misly21/12/2019 09:50

Depends what you're doing normal office work and casual gaming 60hz is …Depends what you're doing normal office work and casual gaming 60hz is fine just if you like to game more often on some more serious games higher refresh rate monitors are better

Basically 60hz limits you to only seeing 60 frames per second
deleted142888321/12/2019 09:51

Mainly mine will be internet, youtube, that kind of stuff.I'll also be …Mainly mine will be internet, youtube, that kind of stuff.I'll also be streaming my PS4 to it, or even connecting it to it for occasional use.

Yeah 60 will be fine
deleted142888321/12/2019 09:22

Thanks, I'm going to take the advice and get 24". I think 27" would be a …Thanks, I'm going to take the advice and get 24". I think 27" would be a little too big.Not sure why 1080p would look bad on a bigger monitor though. It doesn't on 32" TV's?

Honestly 27” at 1080p is bad, I’ve seen it in person and had a few friends talk about their experience with it and it is too large, because your face is close to the monitor the individual pixels are extremely noticeable on the 27” and doesn’t look nice, a 1440p 27” is better in that regard.

deleted142888321/12/2019 07:51

Hi, thanks so much. The thing is, my monitor now is 21.5". Is it really …Hi, thanks so much. The thing is, my monitor now is 21.5". Is it really worth the hassle of selling it to then get one slightly bigger at 24"?My laptop will be docked to it. Will be used for PC stuff. Not gaming really. Maybe the occasional mini console hooked up to it.

Upgrading is up to you but you’ll definitely notice the difference as in the past I made the same upgrade and it was quite noticeable the difference in size.

I think this monitor for the specs and money is very good, you could always get a external USB Hub for cheap anyway and those normally have more ports than the average two USB ports.
hasnain21/12/2019 12:42

Honestly 27” at 1080p is bad, I’ve seen it in person and had a few friends …Honestly 27” at 1080p is bad, I’ve seen it in person and had a few friends talk about their experience with it and it is too large, because your face is close to the monitor the individual pixels are extremely noticeable on the 27” and doesn’t look nice, a 1440p 27” is better in that regard.Upgrading is up to you but you’ll definitely notice the difference as in the past I made the same upgrade and it was quite noticeable the difference in size.I think this monitor for the specs and money is very good, you could always get a external USB Hub for cheap anyway and those normally have more ports than the average two USB ports.

I think you mean HDMI ports?

I only want 2 HDMI ports so your suggestion is perfect. It's exactly the same as the monitor I have now, only it's bigger and doesn't have speakers.

I also had £10 in promo vouchers with Amazon, so it makes this £86.
deleted142888321/12/2019 12:46

I think you mean HDMI ports?I only want 2 HDMI ports so your suggestion is …I think you mean HDMI ports?I only want 2 HDMI ports so your suggestion is perfect. It's exactly the same as the monitor I have now, only it's bigger and doesn't have speakers.I also had £10 in promo vouchers with Amazon, so it makes this £86.

No I meant in regarding to your statement above:
deleted142888321/12/2019 09:48

I would have liked a USB port. 60hz is ok for this size monitor though …I would have liked a USB port. 60hz is ok for this size monitor though right?

From all the spec lists everything matches and it looks to be a great monitor for the price, even I am tempted haha, but since I would be gaming this wouldn’t suffice for me, but 60hz is more than adequate for casual use.

May I ask what monitor you’re currently using now?
hasnain21/12/2019 12:59

No I meant in regarding to your statement above:From all the spec lists …No I meant in regarding to your statement above:From all the spec lists everything matches and it looks to be a great monitor for the price, even I am tempted haha, but since I would be gaming this wouldn’t suffice for me, but 60hz is more than adequate for casual use.May I ask what monitor you’re currently using now?

Yeah this one

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
hasnain21/12/2019 13:04

Here’s a comparison between the two monitors: h …Here’s a comparison between the two monitors: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/89a254159

They both seem very similar don't you think?
deleted142888321/12/2019 13:08

They both seem very similar don't you think?

Yep apart from size of course haha, average response times seem to be a couple milliseconds more, how noticeable that difference is for the occasional gaming it should be bad. The GTG was rated at 4ms (24inch) in comparison to 5ms GTG (21.5).

Here’s another comparison of the actual panel:

m.panelook.com/mod…289
hasnain21/12/2019 13:12

Yep apart from size of course haha, average response times seem to be a …Yep apart from size of course haha, average response times seem to be a couple milliseconds more, how noticeable that difference is for the occasional gaming it should be bad. The GTG was rated at 4ms (24inch) in comparison to 5ms GTG (21.5).Here’s another comparison of the actual panel:http://m.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=23623,31289

Thank you. It'll at most be used to stream PS4 to and for the mini consoles that run at 720p anyway.

Thanks so much for your help. I just need to sell my current one now, any tips?!
deleted142888321/12/2019 13:18

Thank you. It'll at most be used to stream PS4 to and for the mini …Thank you. It'll at most be used to stream PS4 to and for the mini consoles that run at 720p anyway.Thanks so much for your help. I just need to sell my current one now, any tips?!

No worries. Best way is generally through eBay £1 sales fee, if not then through Facebook Marketplace
hasnain21/12/2019 13:26

No worries. Best way is generally through eBay £1 sales fee, if not then …No worries. Best way is generally through eBay £1 sales fee, if not then through Facebook Marketplace

Thanks so much. New monitor should be here tomorrow.
No problem, hope you like it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants