EXPIRED

Which motherboard?

My friend's PC won't display anything to the monitor (monitor says no signal). I've tested the Hard disk, graphics card and monitor on my PC which all work fine and I don't hear any POST beeps so I think it's a problem with the motherbaord.

Can anyone recommend a motherboard for a PC with:

SATA HDD
DDR RAM
Pentium 4 processor

The PC is only used for internet/saving photos so the cheaper the better
Thanks!

26 Comments

Original Poster

I'm obviously interested in just the motherboard, not the components! (Wasn't sure if that was clear or not)

Original Poster

Thanks. This is a Fujitsu Tower PC.

Did you replace the mobo on your laptop in the end then?

Greg;3460663

Thanks. This is a Fujitsu Tower PC. Did you replace the mobo on your … Thanks. This is a Fujitsu Tower PC. Did you replace the mobo on your laptop in the end then?

Its currently away getting fixed by hp/ compaq! fingers crossed! :roll:

Has the motherboard got built in graphics (I think most have) ?

Try taking out the graphics card and setting the BIOS to say it is using on board graphics.

Move the monitor cable from the graphics card to the socket for the built in graphics

That will identify if it is the graphics card or the motherboard.

i had a similar problem with a mobo and what u may want to try is a complete reset of the mobo. Remove the cmos battery for a good hour then try again and see if it will post. Remember to give it a good hour as the capacitors sometimes hold the charge for quite some time. Also whilst ur waiting change the jumper setting to cmos reset then back again after a bit. Bfm

Pentium 4 processor! Socket 423/478?:thinking: LGA775?:thinking: P4 Model Number? :thinking:

Original Poster

Current Motherboard has no on-baord graphics.
How do I found out which socket the processor is? Check the documentation?

Greg;3462020

Current Motherboard has no on-baord graphics.How do I found out which … Current Motherboard has no on-baord graphics.How do I found out which socket the processor is? Check the documentation?

Yeah, or use something like CPU-Z.

Do you have an AGP, PCI-E or built in graphics card?

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;3462085

Yeah, or use something like CPU-Z.Do you have an AGP, PCI-E or built in … Yeah, or use something like CPU-Z.Do you have an AGP, PCI-E or built in graphics card?

It has a PCI-E graphics card which I have tested on another machine and confirmed to be working. There's no onboard graphics unfortunately.
What's CPU-Z? Does this machine have to be working for CPU-Z to work?

Greg;3462020

Current Motherboard has no on-baord graphics.How do I found out which … Current Motherboard has no on-baord graphics.How do I found out which socket the processor is? Check the documentation?

Have you got the Model Number/Product Name for the Fujitsu Tower PC?
It maybe somewhere on the Tower case. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Boogie83e;3462865

Have you got the Model Number/Product Name for the Fujitsu Tower PC?It … Have you got the Model Number/Product Name for the Fujitsu Tower PC?It maybe somewhere on the Tower case. :thumbsup:

As soon as I got home, I'll find out.

Original Poster

BurningFeetMan;3461278

i had a similar problem with a mobo and what u may want to try is a … i had a similar problem with a mobo and what u may want to try is a complete reset of the mobo. Remove the cmos battery for a good hour then try again and see if it will post. Remember to give it a good hour as the capacitors sometimes hold the charge for quite some time. Also whilst ur waiting change the jumper setting to cmos reset then back again after a bit. Bfm

I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

the 423's didn't have sata, the 478s will have a square heatsink and usually the 775's have a round heatsink

Original Poster

maddogb;3468514

the 423's didn't have sata, the 478s will have a square heatsink and … the 423's didn't have sata, the 478s will have a square heatsink and usually the 775's have a round heatsink

It does have a square heat sink and does have SATA so does that definitely make it a 478?
Would ]this do the business?
Are all tower PCs Micro ATX form factor?

Have you checked the PSU?
If not then try to borrow one and see if the computer works with that.
I recently had a problem where my computer would not boot up and nothing would show on the screen, turned out to be a faulty PSU.

Original Poster

unknownuser;3470176

Have you checked the PSU?If not then try to borrow one and see if the … Have you checked the PSU?If not then try to borrow one and see if the computer works with that.I recently had a problem where my computer would not boot up and nothing would show on the screen, turned out to be a faulty PSU.

HDD is spinning perfectly though and the fan actually goes into turbo! Could it still be a power problem?

Greg;3469725

It does have a square heat sink and does have SATA so does that … It does have a square heat sink and does have SATA so does that definitely make it a 478?Would ]this do the business? Are all tower PCs Micro ATX form factor?

VGA is AGP you need PCIe?

Greg;3470260

HDD is spinning perfectly though and the fan actually goes into turbo! … HDD is spinning perfectly though and the fan actually goes into turbo! Could it still be a power problem?

yes could still be a psu problem, just because the power is there does not mean it's available on all rails and quality of power is measured by board before boot

Boogie83e;3470566

not necess, depends on what is in there already and board pointed to has on-board gfx anyway

Greg;3469725

It does have a square heat sink and does have SATA so does that … It does have a square heat sink and does have SATA so does that definitely make it a 478?Would ]this do the business? Are all tower PCs Micro ATX form factor?

only 90% i'm afraid how does the heatsink lock on, take a pic and post it so i can tell you for sure

Original Poster

Boogie83e;3470566

Does it not have on board graphics?
I don't think my friend would be too bothered about using the graphics card again as it's nothing special (some ATI Rage 128mb thing)

Greg;3470650

Does it not have on board graphics?I don't think my friend would be too … Does it not have on board graphics?I don't think my friend would be too bothered about using the graphics card again as it's nothing special (some ATI Rage 128mb thing)

they never did any pci-e rage cards, they had moved to the brand radeon then so it defin is agp

Greg;3470650

Does it not have on board graphics?I don't think my friend would be too … Does it not have on board graphics?I don't think my friend would be too bothered about using the graphics card again as it's nothing special (some ATI Rage 128mb thing)

What about this aria.co.uk/Pro…104

Onboard VGA, and PCI-e, but you need some cheap :giggle: DDR2 RAM (max 4GB :-D )

Opinions anybody! Maddog!

Original Poster

maddogb;3470665

they never did any pci-e rage cards, they had moved to the brand radeon … they never did any pci-e rage cards, they had moved to the brand radeon then so it defin is agp

Sorry my mistake it is indeed a Radeon X550.

Original Poster

Boogie83e;3470796

What about this … What about this http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards/Socket+478+%28Intel%29/Biostar+P4M900M4+Socket+478+Motherboard+?productId=34104Onboard VGA, and PCI-e, but you need some cheap :giggle: DDR2 RAM (max 4GB :-D )Opinions anybody! Maddog!

Looks alright but I'm sure he would prefer to not have to buy any more RAM when he already has 1gb DDR.
How come the right mobo is so hard to get hold of? Should he be looking at buying a new bare bones system even though his HDD, RAM, PCU and GFX card are OK.
What about the mobo I suggested from Ebuyer in an earlier post? Would he be able to use the onboard graphics on that?

Once you've eliminated the power supply, i'd try to test the components you have individually if possible.
Nothing sucks more than buying a new motherboard only to find the previous faulty one took out other components with it (though this is more likely with a faulty psu).

Greg;3472382

Sorry my mistake it is indeed a Radeon X550.

tricky one then, best get a pic of that board/hs up to make sure it's not 775
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    2. Which Camera?!!!22
    3. Kodi - £ Sports Recommendations1014
    4. Sky or Virgin?1418

See more discussions