Groups
    EXPIRED

Which nintendo ds is suitable for a 5 year old if any??

thinking if getting my 5 year old one for his birthday but there are so many different versions and not sure if there even suitable for his age. can anyone give my any advice or feedback. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

14 Comments

tbh i think any of them are fine, as they are similler, depends on your price range and the game purchased.
    however id shy away from the 3d one as ive heard things about affecting their eye nural development.

Personally five is far too young for the size of the screen on any ds and generally the advice is that it is not suitable for under sevens. If you must let them play games use a larger screen tablet.

3ds has a switch to turn 3d off. Id buy 3ds as once you have it you dont really need to upgrade and they always sell well when your finished

Being a 'normal' dad with kids of that sort of age...

At the age of 5 my kids had a ds xl... And they loved it.

I bought an r4 card and someone popped some games and music on there for them (yes... I know)

Personally i think there are some good games on there which help development...

I probably have one of the r4 cards knocking around if interested in one

They are all good models, I would personally buy the 3DS because you can play the latest games on it.
    I would try and restrict the time the 3D is on for your child, because I have heard that it can cause headaches and eye problems. I would also purchase the XL version, because it has a larger screen.

Hope this helps!

Personally I prefer interactive play with my son and so does he, he learns more, his language and motor skills improve and our bond is deepened.

petenharry

Being a 'normal' dad with kids of that sort of age...At the age of 5 my … Being a 'normal' dad with kids of that sort of age...At the age of 5 my kids had a ds xl... And they loved it.I bought an r4 card and someone popped some games and music on there for them (yes... I know)Personally i think there are some good games on there which help development...I probably have one of the r4 cards knocking around if interested in one

petenharry

Being a 'normal' dad with kids of that sort of age...At the age of 5 my … Being a 'normal' dad with kids of that sort of age...At the age of 5 my kids had a ds xl... And they loved it.I bought an r4 card and someone popped some games and music on there for them (yes... I know)Personally i think there are some good games on there which help development...I probably have one of the r4 cards knocking around if interested in one

I would be interested in buying r4 card. how much

my 5 year old has the 2ds, means he can play the brand new 3d games without the eye strain of 3d.
    It has all the features ie street pass and wifi etc.
    It is also very sturdy as it does not fold like previous models (we have had several over the years lol)..
    my boys love them. and they are reasonably priced too.

my son (age 7) has the 3ds i heard about the 3d feature affecting eyes so he only ever plays it with the 3d function off. so i would not pay any extra for the 3ds. BUT since we got the ipad the ds hardly gets a look in. by the time you have spent on the ds and the games would it not be better to buy a cheep ipad?

Well there's two ways you can go about it really.
    You could pick up a cheap DS Lite (I wouldn't go with the original DS) for around £20-£30 and have a huge range of older games and paired with an R4 card, there will be endless hours of play possible. Also gives you a chance to see if he uses it without spending too much money and it doesn't matter too much if it gets dropped/thrown about etc.

That said, there are quite a few newer games as well which only work on the 3DS and 2DS and they are both compatible with the older games as well. Pretty sure you can get an R4 card or similar for the 3DS as well for older games (as far as I'm aware 3DS titles don't work with it yet). Well, if you want to go the R4 route anyway. But for a 2DS you'd be looking at £90 minimum, and I'm not sure if thats with a game either.

I think any of the DS's are suitable.
    If you decide to go for the 3DS, I would ensure that you disable the 3D feature (you can do this using the parental controls on the device), as I've heard it's not suitable for younger children. There is the 2DS, which is a 3DS without the 3D feature, which is cheaper, so this is another one to consider. You can play all the 3DS games on this, as well as the normal DS games.
    You could go with an original DS or DSi, but because there aren't any new releases for these consoles, and you can't play 3DS games on them, I would probably choose not to purchase either of these.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your feedback, helped a lot I feel a lot more clued up now to decide which one to get him.

many thanks again

Banned

doobidoo

Personally I prefer interactive play with my son and so does he, he … Personally I prefer interactive play with my son and so does he, he learns more, his language and motor skills improve and our bond is deepened.

Personally you get all of the above through sharing computer games with your kids.

Your statement that "he learns more"; he really learns less, because he's missing out on tactical learning, learning I.T skills, learning about new technology etc. Not to mention memory, Hand eye co-ordination, reading, communication, social skills.

lifehacker.com/588…ink

It is all about a balance of activities there is a place for both and your boy is missing out on an exciting part of modern life.

Edited by: "Musician" 8th Jul 2014
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Decent hoover66
      2. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)46
      3. Job Centre sending text to confirm appointment66
      4. Iptv814

See more discussions