Which oil boiler?

Found 6th Aug
Had two quotes in so far. one guy recommended Worcester Bosch, the other mistral. both were keen to criticize the other brand. both offer longer warranties with their favoured boiler.

any advice from fellow oilers?
Community Updates
AskBoiler
11 Comments
Can't comment on Mistral, but we've had a Worcester (Bosch) Greenstar 42CDi for ~9 years now. Had to have the pump replaced a few years ago (~£200), but no problems at all other than that.
I would 2nd the Worcester Bosch, often recommended on these types of threads by plumbers/engineers. I would have thought that spare parts would be easier to source in 15 odd years time if the need arose
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 6th Aug
The guy who recommended WB will get kick backs from the manufacturer and gain 'platinum' status etc. not on how good of an engineer he is but on the numbers sold.

WB used to have good kit, sadly recent models are not as reliable as they used to be, they use rubber and plastic internals where as others use brass and copper.
I always recommend/fit Grant Vortex oil boilers. They are by far the easiest to service, parts are easily available, and cheap. The secondary baffles are the best on the market (unlike some that have rotted away within 3 years).Comes with a 5 year warranty, or ten years with the Platinum boiler(works out about £100/year extra for the extended warranty over the additional 5 year period).

Worcester are rediculously expensive compared to other brands, no more reliable, more difficult to repair/service. You are paying a heavy premium for a boiler that looks very posh (it does look much better than others). I've fitted two Mistrals, they are reasonable. Very basic, but easy/cheap to maintain. The baffles are a nightmare to clean on the service.

You could also contact Hounsfield Oil Boilers and see if they can recommend a local installer.

If you're thinking of a combi I would strongly recommend reconsidering. Oil combis are awful regardless of manufacturer.
We own holiday cottages, in those and our house we have WB. The WB in our barn conversion is nearly 13 years old and whilst it's been serviced every year has had nothing more than a valve or two replaced (nothing over £50 on top of service). The holiday cottages are similar. Only one has had a new expansion tank needed.
windym8 m ago

We own holiday cottages, in those and our house we have WB. The WB in our …We own holiday cottages, in those and our house we have WB. The WB in our barn conversion is nearly 13 years old and whilst it's been serviced every year has had nothing more than a valve or two replaced (nothing over £50 on top of service). The holiday cottages are similar. Only one has had a new expansion tank needed.

I’ve just replaced a Ravenheat gas combi boiler fitted in 1989 and all that’s had replaced is the fan. Luck of the draw really as they’ve not got the greatest name.
Edited by: "paulj48" 6th Aug
That's everyone so far for your comments
Not convinced about the relevance of a single consumer who bought one boiler "xx years ago and has been reliable." Far more realistic assessment of recent (but not current) reliability by speaking to non-tied maintenace techs not subject to incentives (where the incentives may be sales commission and/or longer / more frequent maintenace / repairs).
paulj481 h, 41 m ago

I’ve just replaced a Ravenheat gas combi boiler fitted in 1989 and all t …I’ve just replaced a Ravenheat gas combi boiler fitted in 1989 and all that’s had replaced is the fan. Luck of the draw really as they’ve not got the greatest name.

Blimey, it sounds like Ravenheat should have a better name, that's a nice track record, still, if it doesn't have the greatest name I guess it is luck of the draw. Sounds like you took a punt and came out on top.
Just stay away from ferroli they are so bad. Mum had one with a year warranty and had 7 parts changed before moving house.
windym1 h, 3 m ago

Blimey, it sounds like Ravenheat should have a better name, that's a nice …Blimey, it sounds like Ravenheat should have a better name, that's a nice track record, still, if it doesn't have the greatest name I guess it is luck of the draw. Sounds like you took a punt and came out on top.

It came with the house I bought 10 years ago, there was a manufacture date sticker on the inside of the unit when it was removed
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants