Groups
    EXPIRED

Which openbox/sky box would you recommend?

Thinking of getting an openbox. Any one using them and any models to avoid? Thanks

88 Comments

very good question, im in the same boat as you and would love more info

World of Satalite has a good selection. Depending on how much functionality you want. A Vu+ Solo2 will give you twin tuners, IP tv and lots more.. or you can grab a cheap £50 box from eBay. Be aware there are probably more clones than genuine boxes around, so buying from somewhere like WoS is a good option here.

v8s is basic but is the update to f5s it all depends what ur wanting to see. its best to read up on appropriate forums...

I have the v8s and it's been fine for the price

v8 is very basic, you'll get sick of it quite quickly if you're so used to sky
    I'd strongly recommend getting a vu+ as it's much easier to use and you can get a 7 day epg, pause record with a HD .etc.
    It's more expensive, but worth it

Vu Duo, if you want EPG and ability to record

get Zgemma Star H1. its has both Sat & Cable tuner

Anyone got any links

For the price of a ZGEMMA H1, it's absolutely top notch.

kracker69

Anyone got any links

best to get it from far east.

this is original supplier link
    Edited by: "raulvibes" 19th Mar 2015

cloud ibox 2 se is cheap Enigma2 box and works well for around £60 (ebay)
    Can be a bit slow on some plugins
    way better than my old skybox f3

i have no idea how the openbox works and have only heard of them very recently, i would like to be able to get all channels, movies,sports including espn and chelsea tv etc etc but dobt even know where to start lol

andyb1979

i have no idea how the openbox works and have only heard of them very … i have no idea how the openbox works and have only heard of them very recently, i would like to be able to get all channels, movies,sports including espn and chelsea tv etc etc but dobt even know where to start lol

think you can by them almost plug and play, from eBay. look for ones that come with a 12 month "gift".

what is the "gift" ?

andyb1979

what is the "gift" ?

A line for a server.

Jacktheripper69

Vu Duo, if you want EPG and ability to record

What channels would you get from sky?

"Gift" is Free channels (sports,movies,international and so on)

Recommend the vix software as opposed to the blackhole, free gift covers the warranty lol

Ahh FTA channels only which my sky box does anyway. Minus the record,rewind
    Edited by: "MR1123" 18th Mar 2015

can you only receive free to air channels so no sky sports or sky movies?

MR1123

Ahh FTA channels only which my sky box does anyway. Minus the … Ahh FTA channels only which my sky box does anyway. Minus the record,rewind

he meant free channels, as in you get ALL channels for free. (although not free because you're paying for them, but at a fraction of the cost).

We have a F5 SkyBox. Had it just over 2 years now and no problems. We receive all channels, All sports, kids, music, lifestyle, movies plus all standard "free" channels. Only thing that's changed recently is sky is trying to stamp down on the current servers so we can't receive the channels in HD, but people are trying to find ways around that.

Best thing I could recommend is to buy the box from someone local to you, there are usually people that advertise on Facebook buy/sell pages in your area. This way you can collect the box directly from the seller and you'll know where they are if the servers need updating which will be probably once or twice a year. eBay is OK I suppose but you have to take into consideration what you would do when your subscription to the certain server is disconnected. Any seller who tells you they will 100% guarantee a 12 month, no disconnection server I wouldn't trust.
    Edited by: "A1512" 18th Mar 2015

You can still get HD using a dvb-c tuner. (cable)

Aiden1512

We have a F5 SkyBox. Had it just over 2 years now and no problems. We … We have a F5 SkyBox. Had it just over 2 years now and no problems. We receive all channels, All sports, kids, music, lifestyle, movies plus all standard "free" channels. Only thing that's changed recently is sky is trying to stamp down on the current servers so we can't receive the channels in HD, but people are trying to find ways around that.Best thing I could recommend is to buy the box from someone local to you, there are usually people that advertise on Facebook buy/sell pages in your area. This way you can collect the box directly from the seller and you'll know where they are if the servers need updating which will be probably once or twice a year. eBay is OK I suppose but you have to take into consideration what you would do when your subscription to the certain server is disconnected. Any seller who tells you they will 100% guarantee a 12 month, no disconnection server I wouldn't trust.

I'm still chewing the fat about buying a xbmc or an open box or even both ,but talking to local guy i his shop selling the xbmc box he was telling me he gets more people moaning about 12 month gifts saying they only last a few months

kracker69

I'm still chewing the fat about buying a xbmc or an open box or even both … I'm still chewing the fat about buying a xbmc or an open box or even both ,but talking to local guy i his shop selling the xbmc box he was telling me he gets more people moaning about 12 month gifts saying they only last a few months

It depends on who you go to I suppose. The first person I had my box from had only just started out and didn't really know what he was doing. He was also using servers he didn't know much about and as a result all my channels were scrambling after around 6 months, I took it back to him but he said he can't get any other servers yet to update it
    I found someone else who had been doing it for years and he fixed it for me within 10 mins. Almost a year later and no problems at all. If you can find someone who does it for a living and has lots of customers they usually have access to reliable servers.
    I would personally recommend the openbox, I've had the xbmc and it wasn't anything special.
    Edited by: "A1512" 19th Mar 2015

You do all realise this is illegal don't you?

ipswich78

You do all realise this is illegal don't you?

in other breaking news the pope has confirmed that he is catholic

mattmerch

in other breaking news the pope has confirmed that he is catholic

You'd be surprised at the lack of intelligence around here... And for those that do know, why do you do it?

ipswich78

You'd be surprised at the lack of intelligence around here... And for … You'd be surprised at the lack of intelligence around here... And for those that do know, why do you do it?

Obviously you don't lack in intelligence so you can probably guess why.

Aiden1512

Obviously you don't lack in intelligence so you can probably guess why.

No, not really. It's stealing, I don't get it?

ipswich78

you're not stealing anything. The channels are already there, they just need decrypting.

ipswich78

I wouldnt call it stealing. If anything the people who are stealing, are SKY themselves with their price rises and ridiculous rip off package prices.

I used to be with SKY for 3 years and they "stole" more from me than I am from them now.
    Edited by: "A1512" 19th Mar 2015

l33d5

you're not stealing anything. The channels are already there, they just … you're not stealing anything. The channels are already there, they just need decrypting.

Really? You think that's right, you are taking something without paying for it (to the relevant people). You don't think that's wrong / illegal?

Aiden1512

I wouldnt call it stealing. If anything the people who are stealing, are … I wouldnt call it stealing. If anything the people who are stealing, are SKY themselves with their price rises and ridiculous rip off package prices. I used to be with SKY for 3 years and they "stole" more from me than I am from them now.

If you can't afford it you don't just go and take it do you? You should learn to go without or better yourself so you can afford it.

it is sharing

I thought Sky were going to issue new cards to get around this?

ipswich78

I'm not going to get involved in the moral/legal rights and wrong. However, I will point out that it is not stealing as no theft has occurred:

"A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly."
    (Theft Act, 1968. Definition of Theft)

Using a decoder does not appropriate the signal and deprive Sky of it.

Unauthorised decryption may be illegal, but the buyer of these systems is not decrypting the signals, and so wouldn't be guilty of that.

So what law would someone be guilty of? Not looked into it, so I don't know. But I do know that you won't nail them on theft or decryption (unless you have a crooked judge and they have a really bad lawyer).

l33d5

You can still get HD using a dvb-c tuner. (cable)

Will Sky Sports HD and Sky Movies HD work on dub-c tuner, or has sky encrypted all HD channels on all boxes??

AGrumpyDad

I'm not going to get involved in the moral/legal rights and wrong. … I'm not going to get involved in the moral/legal rights and wrong. However, I will point out that it is not stealing as no theft has occurred:"A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly."(Theft Act, 1968. Definition of Theft)Using a decoder does not appropriate the signal and deprive Sky of it.Unauthorised decryption may be illegal, but the buyer of these systems is not decrypting the signals, and so wouldn't be guilty of that.So what law would someone be guilty of? Not looked into it, so I don't know. But I do know that you won't nail them on theft or decryption (unless you have a crooked judge and they have a really bad lawyer).

excellent addition, Ipswich douche will love that ha ha

Hi, for a newbie to all things tech, can someone explain exactly is an open box and how does it work? Do you need internet? Is it the same as xmbc?

Any info much appreciated?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7191353
    2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2974
    3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1629
    4. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow55

See more discussions