Which Optimum Nutrition Protien

Found 16th Jan
With so many variations of protein powder which should I go for to add weight/muscle?

I am slim/athletic with an average amount of muscle, 32”waist 6’3” 83kg.
I have between 15 and 20% body fat and a very high metabolism.

My diets pretty good, I take creatine and have just ran out of Gold Standard 100% Whey protein
I’m wondering if there is a protein shake that is more suited to me?

Whey, casein, with BCAAs, mass bulk etc
Any help is appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
you dont need protein shakes to gain muscle.
most people eat enough protein to cover average gym goer. not even professional athletes take protein shakes (unless they say so on adverts from which they get money). I can provide evidence so if anyone wants to argue please be ready to present quality scientific papers
learn to eat well and you will gain weight.
Also how old are you? you may also have different body build eg you could be an ectomorph so you will find it rather difficult regaardless
Edited by: "mattsk" 16th Jan
mattsk42 m ago

you dont need protein shakes to gain muscle.most people eat enough protein …you dont need protein shakes to gain muscle.most people eat enough protein to cover average gym goer. not even professional athletes take protein shakes (unless they say so on adverts from which they get money). I can provide evidence so if anyone wants to argue please be ready to present quality scientific paperslearn to eat well and you will gain weight.Also how old are you? you may also have different body build eg you could be an ectomorph so you will find it rather difficult regaardless

Very interesting mattsk! I’m 100% an ecotmorph lol, skinny and lanky!
I have gained a bit of muscle, and I’m happy, just incase someone says further down the line “you should have taken protein shake all through your training”

And I’m a young 25, 5years till 30
superfuel1 h, 49 m ago

As Mattsk said you may not need protein shakes. They are just for …As Mattsk said you may not need protein shakes. They are just for convenience really as you can get enough protein from other sources (chicken, tuna etc). If you want to build muscle, search online for BMR which (after doing some calculations) works out how many calories you need to maintain your weight. If you want to build muscle you up your calories by 200-500 a day and eat make sure about 30-40% of these are protein. You can then work out if you can eat enough protein without needing supplements (a gram of protein is 4 calories, gram of carb is 4 and a gram of fat is 9 calories). If you want to supplement then I would go for standard whey from myprotein.com as cheap and does the job as well as anything else. don't be sold by cassien or the more expensive stuff it won't help unless you are competing or something and need the absolute best stuff ever (and are willing to pay for it!). I would stake creatine as well but you really don't need anything else, apart from a multivit, fish oil for general well being and eat lots of greens and drink lots of water (basically just a balanced healthy diet!).Anyway, there really is no right or wrong and the intensity of your workouts will determine whether you gain strength and size more than your supplements (keep pushing to increase weights each session)Hope some of that helps - happy to give you more info if you need it.

this is why you should never read nonsense on internet

BMR - basal metabolic rate - amount of energy required to maintain basic life function at rest (breathing, heartrate, brain function).if someone was to eat to BMR he or she would lose weight not gain

but hey lets go further...
Henry (2005) suggests that for the OP his BMR should be around 1870kcal based on the equation of 16xW+545
if we look at superfuel suggestion you should be eating 30-40% of that as protein - thats nerly 200g which is nearly 2.5g per kilo. I would like to see a single scientific paper that would even suggest that value for pro heavylifters

lets not stop there

since BMR only covers basic function of life we need to add activity factor 1.4 for more of an office person 1.7 for I dont know... what is a busy job these days? road worker? someone that has to use a shovel most of the day... lets settle for 1.5 if the OP goes to the gym 5 days a week for 2hrs each session
1870 x 1.5 = 2800kcal daily (40% of that would be around 1100kcal which is 280g of protein per day or 3.4g/kg!!!!!)

so lets make it simple and achievable for the OP
based on current wt of 83kg daily requirement is
2800kcal of total energy (maintain weight with possibly slightly increasing it)
105-140g/day - 15%-20% of kcal from protein
385g of carbs - 55% YES YOU NEED CARBS!!!! to metabolise protein
93g of fat - 30%
variety is the key so all the vegetables, chicken, oily fish, red meat, some fruit for quick carbs post workout
then you wont need fish oil supplements, you wont need vitamin supplements

Also you dont need creatine (although it may be helpful) since the effects wear off once you stop taking it.

Get the diet right and everything else will fall into place.
PS> OP the ratios described are your individual one so feel free to use them. you can adjust the total energy based on the equation of 16 x your weight + 545 (its valid till you are 30 years old :P), then do the protein, carb and fat ratios as above.
PS2> these ratios are based on literally standard healthy eating advice and believe me it will be hardest thing for you to achieve yet every athlete does that
Edited by: "mattsk" 16th Jan
deleted800342
As you asked for which optimum nutrition protein to buy and not for a lecture on nutrition..
Gold.
deleted80034216th Jan

As you asked for which optimum nutrition protein to buy and not for a …As you asked for which optimum nutrition protein to buy and not for a lecture on nutrition..Gold.

This page is about saving money.... Buying protein shakes is waste of money ... Advice totally justified
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants