Which pc parts for a new pc?

Found 8th FebEdited by:"hasnainthehotdeal"
Hi everyone just trying to put a pc together as I have a few parts that are spare.

Just trying to decide on a few things - pc will be used for photoshop work and not much rendering.

Firstly shall i use a i5 4th gen cpu that i currently have or buy the 8th gen i5?

I also have 16gb ddr3 ram shall i use that or just get 8gb of ddr4 ram.

At the moment I have a

coolermaster case ready to use
corsair powersupply
1tb hdd
considering a ssd.
considering a graphics card.

and that is all.

What do you think would be best to do in this situation?

Thanks.
Community Updates
AskElectronics
10 Comments
The cpus are i5-4460 vs i5-8400 thanks
So you just need a h3 1150 motherboard, SSD and GPU to build a system vs a whole new build ?
kester764 m ago

So you just need a h3 1150 motherboard, SSD and GPU to build a system vs a …So you just need a h3 1150 motherboard, SSD and GPU to build a system vs a whole new build ?

I already have the motherboard aswell but its only a h81m-plus These are all the parts I have still boxed so just a ssd and a gpu needed really in comparison to doing a new build. A friend wanted me to build them a pc and cause I have a few parts lying around thought will be able to get rid of some of my parts that I have left. Though if it makes sense to go down the newer generation cpus and better in terms of future proofing would rather go down that route.
So the parts you will build the system for your friend and buy new pc parts for yourself with the proceeds of the sale ?
kester762 h, 28 m ago

So the parts you will build the system for your friend and buy new pc …So the parts you will build the system for your friend and buy new pc parts for yourself with the proceeds of the sale ?

nope lol. Was at his house yesterday and he mentioned he is looking for another pc.
I mentioned I had some parts and could maybe put one together for him at the price the parts have cost me.
Or alternatively I could buy the new parts for him and build him a new 8th i5 pc (at my cost again).

I am just trying to weigh up whether it would be better to get him the 8th gen over using the 4th (albeit at a higher price).
So far it seems the way forward is to use the new psu and the case. And then to buy a new 8th gen i5, new board, new ssd and ram. I would rather he ends up with a better pc than me getting rid of my spare components.

The benchmark figures of the i5-8400 look very good especially for approx 160.
And about the pricing difference say if I were to use 8gb ddr4 it would cost him £85 (from amazon). If I was to use my 2 x 8gb ddr3 ram that i bought last year it would cost him £50 in total. Just I couldn't use them as I use corsair vengeance and was getting blue screen from mixing with kingston ram.
Edited by: "hasnainthehotdeal" 8th Feb
I'm in a similar situation, cheap option for me work be either an i7 4790 with an expensive motherboard but free ram. An i7 6700k with a similar spec motherboard but cheaper price and 8GB ddr4 or an i7 8700k setup which about £240 more but a lot higher end.
Main annoyance is the high price of ddr4
kester7621 m ago

I'm in a similar situation, cheap option for me work be either an i7 4790 …I'm in a similar situation, cheap option for me work be either an i7 4790 with an expensive motherboard but free ram. An i7 6700k with a similar spec motherboard but cheaper price and 8GB ddr4 or an i7 8700k setup which about £240 more but a lot higher end.Main annoyance is the high price of ddr4

I am using a i7-4770k with 32gb ram with ssd etc.- but if i wanted to move over to a newer processor then i will have to use ddr4 and its an absolute fortune.

Between your two cpu options there is only about 1000 difference in the first two cpus. But the i7-800k is another sort of beast.

Usually when I spec mine I try to go for the best I can afford at the time. Like at the moment I am sticking with my i7 4th gen but will probably upgrade it soon once the ram prices come down. My current setup runs 3 monitors and a tv without any problems using photoshop etc.

The last few generations sort of 4th gen onwards there doesn't seem to have been massive improvements in the performance of the cpus. I think because the early gens were so good lots of people ended up keeping them and overclocking them, and not upgrading so costing intel.
4th gen will do fine for most things. I've got a overclocked 4770k and will stick with it till ddr4 is less expensive
emodan2 m ago

4th gen will do fine for most things. I've got a overclocked 4770k and …4th gen will do fine for most things. I've got a overclocked 4770k and will stick with it till ddr4 is less expensive

hi dude for light photoshop and media work would you go for a 4th gen i3 or a 4th gen i5?

and would you put a graphics card into it or not?

the mobo is a h81m-plus

thanks.
would you guys use onboard graphics / a 740gt or a better gpu in conjuction with a 4th gen i5 for photoshop work?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants