Groups

Which phone?

Hi everybody,

My contract is coming to an end in a week or two and I will be remaining with Orange. I don't keep up with phones so I was hoping that somebody would have some advice. I have just found out that I won't be getting an iphone as my work phone for now so am looking at getting something decent on my personal contract instead.

I think that I would like some form of GPS and google maps (not for driving, just when I am away from my car) to find various places, are there phones other than the iphone that support this well? I don't need a phone to be good as a music player etc.

Thanks

11 Comments

blackberry bold
    plus you get unlimited data etc.
    ring orange and complain, they'll give you pretty much whatever you want if you threaten to disconnect!

Original Poster

Thanks.

I just called orange and they started off with the Samsung Toco - he misheard and thought I wanted touchscreen, when I really said ipod alternative, hmm.

I then mentioned blackberry and he moved onto the Pearl, and then the Curve. I mentioned the Bold and he said it was really bugging when introduced. I said "has it been improved" and he said "I am told so, but I am not sure I believe it" - bit annoying, I spend a lot of money with them and expect slightly better than being fobbed off with the Toco, he then said I should have done research before calling them. Silly man.

All he was able to do was "give me the discount of £5 off" my current contract (which is currently £10 less on their website!) and said I had to pay a further £5 for the data bundle necessary for the blackberry. I don't usually bother with hardball, but I was quite clear in suggesting I am considering leaving to get an iphone.

A quick look suggests that the Curve is not in the same league as the Bold?

yeah the same happened with me!
    I started out saying i wanted the Bold or the Curve 8900 (which, it turned out was out of stock)
    So initially they offered me £35 per month plus £200 for the phone! Which was totally ridiculous, so i quoted some 02 deals I'd seen (exaggerating a little, though not to an unbelievable extent) and they immediately knocked the price of the phone down to £160 (slightly confusing, since 5 seconds ago they'd quoted £200!!) so i said, "ok then I think i'll leave it and go with 02 since they seem to reward new customers more handsomely than orange reward existing customers"
    they then forwarded me to the 'disconnections' department, i told them exactly what i wanted and received it incredibly quickly, so now i've got £30 per month for 750 mins unlimited texts, the blackberry data plan (unlimited internet/email) plus they gave me a mobile broadband package with a free dongle and 1gb monthly usage haha.
    it definitely pays to wager! i saved about £300 plus i got free mobile broadband!

Original Poster

Cheers for that, so you got the Bold in the end? is it good?

I don't need a dongle, work already provides me with one, plus I have a personal one before I started here. I was surprised by their slightly rude attitude, nevermind, I usually find Orange treat me well.

Buy a phone specific to the use you need.

[url]www.dialaphone.co.uk[/url] has some decent deals.

Ad

yeah i love the bold if it's for work i'm sure it'd be incredibly helpful, the push email's very very quick and the 3G browsing is also very quick (the curve doesn't have 3G, which is kind of a downside!) I've found a million and one uses for it, and i'm a student! the GPS is basic compared to a tomtom or internal satnav, but it's functional, and could be useful in a tight spot!
    comes with a 1gb microsd and leather case etc. but i got an invisibleshield for mine (screen scratches/smudges drive me insane!)

Original Poster

jwesty;4748281

yeah i love the bold if it's for work i'm sure it'd be incredibly … yeah i love the bold if it's for work i'm sure it'd be incredibly helpful, the push email's very very quick and the 3G browsing is also very quick (the curve doesn't have 3G, which is kind of a downside!) I've found a million and one uses for it, and i'm a student! the GPS is basic compared to a tomtom or internal satnav, but it's functional, and could be useful in a tight spot!comes with a 1gb microsd and leather case etc. but i got an invisibleshield for mine (screen scratches/smudges drive me insane!)

Cheers.

I think it does everything I would like. It's not for work; I get a bog standard Nokia 6300 from them - I checked today and iphones will only be given as and when required, since I already have a laptop and 3g dongle and haven't been out of the office a great deal lately, it isn't necessary for now. I can count about 10 times in the last year when google maps would have been useful on the move, hence my desire for it - I have built in sat nav in the car so it's not necessary to have anything any beyond google maps.

Yeah it's got blackberry maps, although finding 'my location' on blackberry maps seems to be much slower than on google maps, which you can install for free and it's relatively simple
    glad to be of help!

Original Poster

jwesty;4749515

Yeah it's got blackberry maps, although finding 'my location' on … Yeah it's got blackberry maps, although finding 'my location' on blackberry maps seems to be much slower than on google maps, which you can install for free and it's relatively simple :)glad to be of help!

Just now to persuade Orange to treat me decently.

Original Poster

Of course, but your success depends often on who you speak to. I think I am going to call them about moving to Panther 45 with a Bold, 1200 any network, 500 mb data, 500 texts, then either unlimited texts or unlimited landline, magic numbers, £39/month with the phone free.

Original Poster

Ordered it for Monday, got the Bold, same tarrif I am on now (Dolphin 35 I think) so 600 anytime any network minutes, unlimited texts, magic numbers (I really use this a lot), unlimited data (given fair use) and the Bold for'free', £27/month. I am pleased with that.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***620
      2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1014
      3. What would be HELL to you?1819
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767291

See more discussions