which phone? Huawei P10, or samsung s7

Found 2nd Apr 2017
Hi. Im after a new phone i still have samsung s5 so i guess any of these phones p10 or s7 going to be miles better
I did very the p10 and though it looked and feels amazing but ive never had this brand, and its only just come out so not many reviews
S7 do i stay as ive had samsung for as long as i can remember
Any advice? Also anyone no if any better deals than 36 for p10

32 Comments

Do your homework read reviews look at all the pro and cons for each device and go for it... Thats how easy it is dont fear the unknown run to your fears and imbrace change. You are in control not the phone. Good luck!

P10 hands down from me, out of the 2 but it is quite a bit more than some of the deals on the Galaxy S7

joesoap1

Do your homework read reviews look at all the pro and cons for each … Do your homework read reviews look at all the pro and cons for each device and go for it... Thats how easy it is dont fear the unknown run to your fears and imbrace change. You are in control not the phone. Good luck!

X)

s8

Out of those two i would personally pick the s7, but have you looked at the OnePlus 3T?

Watch the gadget show from this week. Think it was the p9 vs s7? I'm not interested in flagship Samsung products as way overpriced for the benefits that are no good to me. I'm not a high end gamer for one.

No competition pal. S7, get the edge because the specs are a bit better. Or wait for the S8+ or the OnePlus3, believe one plus brought a new model out and specs are mint.

The p10 probably has the better processor and it is newer so more likely to be updated for longer. The p10 doesn't have the fingerprint layer on the screen so it will get smudged up. The screen is nicer on the s7, it has a better camera (I think) and is waterproof. To be honest I went from the s7 to the Honor 8 (basically the P9) due to repeat issues with my s7 and it has been brilliant, so I imagine that the p10 would be very good too.

I went away from Samsung after having the S6 edge and bought the Moto Z. I really hated the phone. The edge is a pointless gimmick so if you do go for the S7 I'd recommend the standard version.

Personally from experience with Samsung devices i would choose the P10 (but to be honest after the S6 edge I would choose a Nokia 3210).

s7 edge. I have one and it's superb..played with a s8 and s8+ yesterday.....actually preferred s8...just looked sleeker and easier to handle. That extra screen real estate is just brill.....happy hunting

ps not had a single issue with my s7 edge so far......

I have the P10 ( review unit). It's a good phone, but the S7 is still better, camera and seemingly battery wise for me. If you go for the S7, get the edge version. You can turn off the gimmicky edges, it's the increase in battery life that is worth the added expense.
Edited by: "stoney73" 2nd Apr 2017

JohnnyRoller

I went away from Samsung after having the S6 edge and bought the Moto Z. … I went away from Samsung after having the S6 edge and bought the Moto Z. I really hated the phone. The edge is a pointless gimmick so if you do go for the S7 I'd recommend the standard version.Personally from experience with Samsung devices i would choose the P10 (but to be honest after the S6 edge I would choose a Nokia 3210).

​I went from a Lumia 950 after 15+ years of Nokia to an S7 edge. No regrets except the new update has messed a few things up software wise. I don't find the edge a gimmick. I don't use every feature it has but when using other androids to do stuff I really notice the edge is missing.
Edited by: "Dawsy" 2nd Apr 2017

lg g6

RadiantDuck

The p10 probably has the better processor and it is newer so more likely … The p10 probably has the better processor and it is newer so more likely to be updated for longer. The p10 doesn't have the fingerprint layer on the screen so it will get smudged up. The screen is nicer on the s7, it has a better camera (I think) and is waterproof. To be honest I went from the s7 to the Honor 8 (basically the P9) due to repeat issues with my s7 and it has been brilliant, so I imagine that the p10 would be very good too.

The p9 has a better camera than the s7 so the p10 will do too

nrackham76

The p9 has a better camera than the s7 so the p10 will do too

The P9 didn't have a better camera than the S7 to my eyes. I owned both. The P9 had a decent camera but it wasn't as good as the S7 overall, even if the black and white camera was nice.

sxxychocolate

s7 edge. I have one and it's superb..played with a s8 and s8+ … s7 edge. I have one and it's superb..played with a s8 and s8+ yesterday.....actually preferred s8...just looked sleeker and easier to handle. That extra screen real estate is just brill.....happy hunting

I don't believe there's as much screen real estate on the S8 as the S7 Edge actually, since the aspect ratio is different. Screen size is measured across the diagonal, so a simple increase across the diagonal doesn't necessarily mean an increase in screen real estate - it's the reason that a 50" 4:3 TV would look absolutely enormous next to a 50" 16:9.

misterleoni

The P9 didn't have a better camera than the S7 to my eyes. I owned both. … The P9 didn't have a better camera than the S7 to my eyes. I owned both. The P9 had a decent camera but it wasn't as good as the S7 overall, even if the black and white camera was nice.

​Agreed. The cameras on the P9, and the P10 in my eyes, are not as good as the one found in the S7. Not just in lowlight conditions either.

misterleoni

The P9 didn't have a better camera than the S7 to my eyes. I owned both. … The P9 didn't have a better camera than the S7 to my eyes. I owned both. The P9 had a decent camera but it wasn't as good as the S7 overall, even if the black and white camera was nice.

The camera and the screen are different things. To the naked eye you may prefer the s7, if you were to upload both photos to a larger screen you will see the difference. Also, check the specs out, the p9 is a whole lot better:)

nrackham76

The camera and the screen are different things. To the naked eye you may … The camera and the screen are different things. To the naked eye you may prefer the s7, if you were to upload both photos to a larger screen you will see the difference. Also, check the specs out, the p9 is a whole lot better:)

​Specs aren't everything. I have the P9, and I've been using the P10 since it launched at MWC. The S7 camera is better, not by much, but still better. Unlike the S7, the P9 doesn't have OIS (Optical Image Stabilisation ).

stoney73

​Specs aren't everything. I have the P9, and I've been using the P10 s … ​Specs aren't everything. I have the P9, and I've been using the P10 since it launched at MWC. The S7 camera is better, not by much, but still better.

techmagnifier.com/fea…out

stoney73

​Specs aren't everything. I have the P9, and I've been using the P10 s … ​Specs aren't everything. I have the P9, and I've been using the P10 since it launched at MWC. The S7 camera is better, not by much, but still better.

Specifications are everything when comparing, you may prefer one to the other but that does not mean it's better. S7 is a quality phone and camera,I personally choose samsung but for the camera the Huawei is better

nrackham76

Specifications are everything when comparing, you may prefer one to the … Specifications are everything when comparing, you may prefer one to the other but that does not mean it's better. S7 is a quality phone and camera,I personally choose samsung but for the camera the Huawei is better

​Erm, specs aren't everything. If thats the case, then half the Chinese branded smartphones would rank a hell of a lot better than they do.
Isn't that the joy of Android that we have so much choice, and so many things to debate?

nrackham76

The camera and the screen are different things. To the naked eye you may … The camera and the screen are different things. To the naked eye you may prefer the s7, if you were to upload both photos to a larger screen you will see the difference. Also, check the specs out, the p9 is a whole lot better:)

Specs don't make it better, no matter how many smiley faces you throw at me. How patronising of you to assume that I only looked at the pictures on each phone's screen. As it happens I have quite the interest in photography - I was into amateur photography and got a diploma in photography on top of my art degree because I was so keen on it. No, that doesn't make me David Bailey but it enables me to judge a phone camera with enough common sense to look at the pictures on my monitor rather than assessing them on the phone screen.

The S7 camera isn't perfect but it was better than the P9 in most scenarios - don't really care what any camera comparison site you link to says, I could equally find one that says the opposite - these pixel peeping sites are all artless and meaningless anyway: the real proof is in the proactive usage of the phones, and in the course of owning both of the phones in question I found the S7 to be more reliable in terms of exposure, faster to open, focus and process images and also offered better video because of its OIS and wider fixed aperture. Not sure what 'specs' you speak of, but to me they are meaningless.
Edited by: "misterleoni" 2nd Apr 2017

12mp dual lens (12mp+12mp) auto laser focus vs a the s7 single 12mp 1.7 aperture...

The P9 has an f2.2 aperture and 1.25 micron pixels size on its Sony IMX 286 sensor.
The monochrome sensor on the p9 let's in 3 times more light compared to the s7 standard RGB sensor. This gives you more details from shadows and highlights.

The p9 has a 27mm focus length compared to the 26mm the s7 offers.

No doubt the p9 beats the s7 for the camera.
The major difference between the 2 is the screen quality. The s7 beats the p9 hands down.

Why don't you take some photos on both handsets and let us see why you have the opinion you do? Maybe your proactive use can be judged here?
If anyone has doubt over which has the better camera have a look online.. you cannot show me a site that states the specifications of the s7 being better or more advanced than the p9 as it's a lie. If you don't believe so look in both user manuals:)

nrackham76

12mp dual lens (12mp+12mp) auto laser focus vs a the s7 single 12mp 1.7 … 12mp dual lens (12mp+12mp) auto laser focus vs a the s7 single 12mp 1.7 aperture...The P9 has an f2.2 aperture and 1.25 micron pixels size on its Sony IMX 286 sensor.The monochrome sensor on the p9 let's in 3 times more light compared to the s7 standard RGB sensor. This gives you more details from shadows and highlights.The p9 has a 27mm focus length compared to the 26mm the s7 offers.No doubt the p9 beats the s7 for the camera.The major difference between the 2 is the screen quality. The s7 beats the p9 hands down.Why don't you take some photos on both handsets and let us see why you have the opinion you do? Maybe your proactive use can be judged here? If anyone has doubt over which has the better camera have a look online.. you cannot show me a site that states the specifications of the s7 being better or more advanced than the p9 as it's a lie. If you don't believe so look in both user manuals:)

Two cameras doesn't make it better - I have owned both you know.

Reeling off a spec sheets doesn't *make* it better.

Why didn't you mention the smaller aperture of the P9?

Or the lack of OIS?

Or the much better ISP in the S7?

The 1.4um pixel size of the S7 is bigger than the 1.25um pixel size of the P9, which means it will soak up more photons.

'Auto laser focus?' Why is that significant? The S7 had provably the fastest autofocus of any handset last year.

Focal length...why is that significant exactly?

Your spiel on the effectiveness of the monochrome sensor just sounds like garbage that Huawei themselves would have spat out. Monochrome sensors are more sensitive for sure but the end result when combining the two images was not particularly impressive. I did enjoy using the monochrome sensor though - far more than the colour/monochrome array alone

You've been very selective with your judgement of specs here, which leads me to think you don't really have much experience of both phones and are relying on websites rather than experience to back up your arguments. The sensor number on the P9 is higher because it's a different (dual lens) array but the actual specs are inferior in many ways to the IMX260

We'll leave it at that though - you obviously love your P9 and that's wonderful. I don't own either of these phones anymore but I do know that I didn't find the P9 as good, as someone who is pretty good with photography. It's not my duty to prove anything as I've owned both of these phones, and I know what I know. I don't rely on photo comparison sites put together by people who know nothing about photography, working to an editorial deadline to take as many photos of the same neon glowing fish sign as possible - real life is the real test. Can you honestly say you've lived with an S7 for any length of time to make an honest call on quality? Or are you just going to refer me to a comparison site again?

Neither is as good as my camera but as an 'auto snapper' the S7 was better - regardless of the screen.

Have a nice day sir, and let's leave it at that. I don't think we will every agree so just enjoy your phone and I will enjoy mine. I respect your opinion and don't want to waste your time anymore.
Edited by: "misterleoni" 3rd Apr 2017

I have a P9 and love it. Obviously both the P9 and S7 are great phones.

One major thing for me was the lack of having a way to mirror my P9 screen to my smart tv. There was NO app that could do this. Not even the built in mirror share would work with my LG TV. So if you have any desire to mirror your phone to your smart TV then get the S7.

The only way I could mirror my screen was to either buy a cable or buy a Chrome Cast.
Edited by: "PenguinsForAll" 5th Apr 2017

JohnnyRoller

I went away from Samsung after having the S6 edge and bought the Moto Z. … I went away from Samsung after having the S6 edge and bought the Moto Z. I really hated the phone. The edge is a pointless gimmick so if you do go for the S7 I'd recommend the standard version.Personally from experience with Samsung devices i would choose the P10 (but to be honest after the S6 edge I would choose a Nokia 3210).

Curved edge screen on a phone is a gimmick? Coming from the person who just told us they have a modular phone?

sme24185

Hi. Im after a new phone i still have samsung s5 so i guess any of … Hi. Im after a new phone i still have samsung s5 so i guess any of these phones p10 or s7 going to be miles better I did very the p10 and though it looked and feels amazing but ive never had this brand, and its only just come out so not many reviewsS7 do i stay as ive had samsung for as long as i can rememberAny advice? Also anyone no if any better deals than 36 for p10

P10 has a better approach with the camera (dual lens), sleeker design, lighter weight, not as common.

S7 is better everywhere else. S7 edge is even better still.

I had considered the P10 for my next handset, but ended up picking the S8 plus.

If performance isn't a huge selling point, then go get hands on in a shop and see how they feel in your hand.

xfaxfa

Curved edge screen on a phone is a gimmick? Coming from the person who … Curved edge screen on a phone is a gimmick? Coming from the person who just told us they have a modular phone?

Please enlighten me on what benefit a curved edge screen has?

Now the mods that can give you extra battery power, loudspeaker and stand, camera, projector etc... These all actually have benefits to them.

A curved edge is considerably easier to damage, also the heat from the sides of your hands press the screen (causing unwanted actions). Also they're worse for screen protectors.

The only positive was a slightly better quality to the screen. Almost unrecognisable to the quality of a standard model. The battery on the S6 edge was extremely poor even against the Moto Z (of which I've had both). Of which I assume is again related to the screen. Also the price is hiked up for the pleasure of the rubbish edge. All my opinion, of which I'm in a great position to make considering I've had it since release.

JohnnyRoller

Please enlighten me on what benefit a curved edge screen has? Now the … Please enlighten me on what benefit a curved edge screen has? Now the mods that can give you extra battery power, loudspeaker and stand, camera, projector etc... These all actually have benefits to them.A curved edge is considerably easier to damage, also the heat from the sides of your hands press the screen (causing unwanted actions). Also they're worse for screen protectors.The only positive was a slightly better quality to the screen. Almost unrecognisable to the quality of a standard model. The battery on the S6 edge was extremely poor even against the Moto Z (of which I've had both). Of which I assume is again related to the screen. Also the price is hiked up for the pleasure of the rubbish edge. All my opinion, of which I'm in a great position to make considering I've had it since release.

I think the main point here is that modularity is an option - you don't have to use it if you choose not to.

Choose a phone with a curved edge and you're stuck with it.
Edited by: "misterleoni" 5th Apr 2017

xfaxfa

P10 has a better approach with the camera (dual lens), sleeker design, … P10 has a better approach with the camera (dual lens), sleeker design, lighter weight, not as common.S7 is better everywhere else. S7 edge is even better still. I had considered the P10 for my next handset, but ended up picking the S8 plus.If performance isn't a huge selling point, then go get hands on in a shop and see how they feel in your hand.

​Think you made the right choice, the P10 isn't much of an improvement over last year's P9.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions