Which phone would you recommend?

Posted 22nd May
Given up on the idea of finding a top end sub 5.5" phone as they don't seem to exist, the iphone SE seemed the closest but battery life put me off. Had been waiting for the surface duo, but it looks like its going to be overly expensive and utterly underwhelming

I'm not as clued up on phones as I once was, given the billion different makes and models available.
So what would you recommend for the following:

Must have:
OLED display
Really good fingerprint scanner- my s8 is awful
Known to be supported for a good 24 months
Wireless charging
Fast usb c charging
Great battery life
Ideally snapdragon cpu, will take a kirin, prefereably not a mediatek as I rely on GPS
Good cameras - especially in dark conditions. I'm getting more in to astrophotography so must be able to do a full range of manual settings such as exposure time up to 1 minute, ISO etc
Sim free
Play store - be fully compatible with all banking apps, netflix HD
Purchased from UK store / amazon EU, not HK sites. And not an o2 refresh deal as I'll **** it up

Not bothered about:
NFC - never used it, have a ticwatch pro if I ever did
5g - maybe in 3 or 4 years, can't see point of it
'Premium' feel, I'm going to stick it in a cheap and nasty £10 case so whats the point of a snazzy platinum or glass back
Size - don't care if its 4" or near 7" now

Not bothered about cost as sticking it through company, ideally around £500 max but I'll wait for a deal if slightly over, I'll wait for a deal and put it through company anyway.

Had my eye on the p30 pro.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
From that list of requirements I'd suggest holding out for the Pixel 5.

If you don't want to wait I'd say the Xiaomi Mi Note 10 or if the budget can be stretched the Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro (that one would be tricky from a UK supplier though)

gsmarena.com/xia…php

gsmarena.com/xia…php
Edited by: "Uridium" 22nd May
There are alot of rumours that Apple are going to release a 5.4" iPhone 12 on September, might be worth waiting to see.
Gormond22/05/2020 10:17

There are alot of rumours that Apple are going to release a 5.4" iPhone 12 …There are alot of rumours that Apple are going to release a 5.4" iPhone 12 on September, might be worth waiting to see.

That will be above £500 though
Get a used Pixel 3 and then wait for newer models later in the year.
Redmi note 8t. It's 10mm longer than 5.5 inch phone. No wireless charging though but mystery why people want. It. Fits all other requirements
Uridium22/05/2020 10:08

From that list of requirements I'd suggest holding out for the Pixel 5.If …From that list of requirements I'd suggest holding out for the Pixel 5.If you don't want to wait I'd say the Xiaomi Mi Note 10 or if the budget can be stretched the Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro (that one would be tricky from a UK supplier though)https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_note_10-9936.phphttps://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_10_pro_5g-10055.php

Pixel 5 might be an idea. The 10 pro nearly ticks all the boxes by the looks of it, apparently the finger print scanner is poor and thats the most annoying thing about my S8, other than Bixby button and it has a curved curved screen which I hate, but unfortunately it seems that's the wau higher end phones are heading.
MrKrabs22/05/2020 11:33

Pixel 5 might be an idea. The 10 pro nearly ticks all the boxes by the …Pixel 5 might be an idea. The 10 pro nearly ticks all the boxes by the looks of it, apparently the finger print scanner is poor and thats the most annoying thing about my S8, other than Bixby button and it has a curved curved screen which I hate, but unfortunately it seems that's the wau higher end phones are heading.

I'd be very surprised if the Mi 10 Pro scanner was bad, I just replaced a Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro with a Galaxy Note Lite and the scanner on the Xiaomi was so much better than the Samsung one, the Xiaomi one was very fast and very accurate, the Samsung is like wading through Treacle in comparison.

How about the Mi Note 10? Did you look at that one? Similar Camera to the Mi 10 Pro but with a high midrange SoC instead of the flagship 865, still very fast and useable, you'd barely if ever notice the difference in day to day use. It has a great battery and a flat screen.....
Uridium22/05/2020 12:04

I'd be very surprised if the Mi 10 Pro scanner was bad, I just replaced a …I'd be very surprised if the Mi 10 Pro scanner was bad, I just replaced a Xiaomi Mi 9T Pro with a Galaxy Note Lite and the scanner on the Xiaomi was so much better than the Samsung one, the Xiaomi one was very fast and very accurate, the Samsung is like wading through Treacle in comparison.How about the Mi Note 10? Did you look at that one? Similar Camera to the Mi 10 Pro but with a high midrange SoC instead of the flagship 865, still very fast and useable, you'd barely if ever notice the difference in day to day use. It has a great battery and a flat screen.....

Just went off a couple of reviews, like this one

techradar.com/uk/…iew

I loved the sensor in my old honor 7, unlocked as soon as I touched it, my s8 takes several attempts and up to 4s to register and its infuriating

The mi note 10 doesn't have wireless does it?
wayners22/05/2020 11:24

Redmi note 8t. It's 10mm longer than 5.5 inch phone. No wireless charging …Redmi note 8t. It's 10mm longer than 5.5 inch phone. No wireless charging though but mystery why people want. It. Fits all other requirements

Saves the battery port getting damaged as often happens with phones.
Gormond22/05/2020 12:30

That's not really an issue with usb-c like it was with micro usb

If certainly not disregard a phone just because of no wireless charging. Every one is different though I guess

These are always an option though

amazon.co.uk/Wir…P5/
Tempting, got £50 off with amex... £296

Is there more than one S10? There's a review for an S10 that refers to a 6.1" screen, this has 5.8?

Edit - the Selfridge's galaxy s10 link deleted.
Edited by: "MrKrabs" 22nd May
Don't forget the S10 Lite either.....

The S10 Lite name is a little misleading, it has a bigger screen and battery than the S10 Plus and a better SoC than the European S10/S10+. They have the Exynos 9820, the Lite has the Snapdragon 855

gsmarena.com/com…917
I've found OnePlus' phones to be very generously specced for the money.
Previous gens 7 or 7T, or 7 Pro can be found at reasonable prices. (they also do a trade-in promo on their latest phone)

+ OLED screen,
+ 64, 128, 256, 512 GB onboard storage flavours
+ Phones come with more RAM than is the norm, so the phones are very responsive.
+ If you want a physical fingerprint scanner, look to their 2018 OnePlus 6, otherwise they've progressed to in-screen fingerprint readers which have had good write ups.
+ Oxygen OS - their customised Android OS, almost stock experience, frequent security updates.
+ Warp charging - very quick cable-based charging.

- Camera's don't have the evangelical reviews some of the Pixel, Samsung phones receive but they're still more than up to the job.
- no microSD slot
- Apart from their newest phone, the 8 or 8Pro - no wireless charging, no certified IP rating.
- OnePlus 6 was their last headphone jack equipped phone.
Edited by: "TopTrump" 22nd May
Gormond22/05/2020 12:30

They say type c is strong and can easily last the life of phone. I've never had any port fail although kids will kill them. I'm now converted all my devices to magnet adapters and cables just because some of my devises are older micro USB so one cable dose everything. Also wireless is not so good as a cable. Jmo. Whatever works for you I guess
I just like wireless, can see all top end phones being wireless only in the next 3-5 years

Shame the s10 deal is OOS, £296 looked a decent price. Swore I'd never buy another samsung after my S8 but it pretty much ticks every box
MrKrabs22/05/2020 14:46

I just like wireless, can see all top end phones being wireless only in …I just like wireless, can see all top end phones being wireless only in the next 3-5 yearsShame the s10 deal is OOS, £296 looked a decent price. Swore I'd never buy another samsung after my S8 but it pretty much ticks every box

Trouble is £500 isn't top end phone money anymore, your budget is high end Chinese flagship killer/Mainstream midrange. In this price bracket phones tend to drop the odd feature to hit the margins...usually Wireless charging or waterproofing are the first things to go.

Also maybe look at the Poco F2 Pro, amazing spec handset for the money, again though you will struggle to find UK stock yet.

No wireless charging, instead you get a big battery and flat to full charging in less than 1hr....
The Poco looks pretty damn good - could well be the winner, wonder how quick we'll see UK stock and if it will be sub £500

Just been looking at the mix 3 5g again for £270, again no wireless charging, but screen with the slide camera looks cool, and has a decent spec to boot. I'd discounted it as I want a phone that will be supported however someone posted a chat with xiaomi to say updates are now coming.

Otherwise my fall back was the p30 pro. The 'new edition' might push prices down of the old model, if it comes under £400 I think I might go for that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions