Which phones do you think are better than the Oneplus 5T for the money? If you have a Oneplus 5T, what are you likes, dislikes, regrets?

Found 3rd Mar
As title really, which phones for you think are better than the Oneplus 5T for the money?

I would probably order from the O2 UK not China, because I am nervous about the lack of warranty and spending that amount of money with little known websites. So setting the budget of around £500.

I've sort of got my heart set on one, but I am also getting fatigued from reading about phones. I am looking for any pitfalls I might not have considered, or alternatives that might be better.

It's quite a large purchase (for me), so I want to make sure I get it right and it will last me a while.

If you own one, what do you like or dislike about the phone, any regrets?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you offer
Community Updates
AskPhones
6 Comments
Personally i dont think there are many phones that can compare too much to the Oneplus 5T in terms of value for money.

The 5T its pretty much at the top of its class in that respect (correct me if im wrong).

There are a few others that offer similar performance such as the Honor 8 Pro (Honor v9), Xiaomi MI 6, Huawei P10 and of course the Galaxy S8.

The hardest part is price as these can vary so much depending on where you purchase them.
Original Poster
Terracore15 h, 23 m ago

Personally i dont think there are many phones that can compare too much to …Personally i dont think there are many phones that can compare too much to the Oneplus 5T in terms of value for money.The 5T its pretty much at the top of its class in that respect (correct me if im wrong).There are a few others that offer similar performance such as the Honor 8 Pro (Honor v9), Xiaomi MI 6, Huawei P10 and of course the Galaxy S8.The hardest part is price as these can vary so much depending on where you purchase them.

Very true. The 128GB version seems to range from:

- £413 non-international version from China (seems top be same spec as international )

- £440 international version from China

- £499 + free glass screen protector from Oneplus. Possibly £479 with Student Beans which I don't have.

-£499 buying from O2 with possible £9 something cashback.

Then the 64GB version starts at £350 from China a whole £150 less!

I was thinking because I hold on to phones for so long I should probably get more memory as it's not expandable.

But I've no idea how long they will make secruity updates for this phone.

It doesn't sound like the Oreo update has gone so smoothly either. I'm not quite sure what to expect with software support.
I would probably lean towards getting one supplied in the UK, i know they are more expensive but i would want to be able to return it within the country and avoid any potential issues via firmware compatability and UK networks. I know some people do buy theirs internationally without issues but i prefer peace of mind incase i should ever have to return it and avoid the possible risk of the import duty should it be bought in from China.

Ill have to find out about future firmware updates as im unsure how long oneplus will support the model...
Edited by: "Terracore" 5th Mar
Original Poster
Terracore1 h, 15 m ago

I would probably lean towards getting one supplied in the UK, i know they …I would probably lean towards getting one supplied in the UK, i know they are more expensive but i would want to be able to return it within the country and avoid any potential issues via firmware compatability and UK networks. I know some people do buy theirs internationally without issues but i prefer peace of mind incase i should ever have to return it and avoid the possible risk of the import duty should it be bought in from China.Ill have to find out about future firmware updates as im unsure how long oneplus will support the model...

Thanks for your thoughts, really appreivate it

I think that's what I'm going to do, for the sake of £60 it doesn't seem worth buying abroad. I just need to check if the O2 warranty is 24 months, like ordering from Oneplus directly.

I read someone commenting on another forum Oneplus guarantee to support their devices for 2 years, but I haven't yet found out where they got that information. So unsure if that's true of optimistic.

I have discovered they won't be part of Project Treble, but it also sounds like Huawei are the only brand apart from google who are right now. And even then support for updates is dependant on the manufacture making them in a timely fashion.
MSK.1 h, 24 m ago

Thanks for your thoughts, really appreivate it :)I think that's what I'm …Thanks for your thoughts, really appreivate it :)I think that's what I'm going to do, for the sake of £60 it doesn't seem worth buying abroad. I just need to check if the O2 warranty is 24 months, like ordering from Oneplus directly.I read someone commenting on another forum Oneplus guarantee to support their devices for 2 years, but I haven't yet found out where they got that information. So unsure if that's true of optimistic.I have discovered they won't be part of Project Treble, but it also sounds like Huawei are the only brand apart from google who are right now. And even then support for updates is dependant on the manufacture making them in a timely fashion.

It seems like you have done your research

I think project treble will certainly be interesting, the more manufacturers willing to support their devices the better. If i had a choice between two phone models i would probably favour the one i knew would be supported the most.

Outdated "official" firmware is an issue unless you are willing to manually upgrade the firmware on your device from a third party dev. Which has pro's and con's in each respect.
Original Poster
Terracore15 m ago

It seems like you have done your research I think project treble will …It seems like you have done your research I think project treble will certainly be interesting, the more manufacturers willing to support their devices the better. If i had a choice between two phone models i would probably favour the one i knew would be supported the most.Outdated "official" firmware is an issue unless you are willing to manually upgrade the firmware on your device from a third party dev. Which has pro's and con's in each respect.

I've been trying I'm generally very interested in technology, but I don't bother to keep up with phone news much. I'm just having a slight wobble, because I realised I had been thinking about if a phone had enough sensors for Google Cardboard, but not if it supports Google Daydream or Web VR. I guess that might delay my decision for a few days until I work out how important that is to me.

I think I could update a phone's firmware happily enough, but I don't really want to. I just want to be able to use it reliably. I guess Pixel phones are best for updates, but they're pretty expensive. Huawei is part of treble, but I've read they are generally awful for updating in the recent past. So one would be gambling on that changing.

So many variables to consider. I'm discovering my old ways of measuring things by spec really don't work so well anymore. I kind of envy people who choose their technology based on how pretty it is and then they are just happy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants