Which portable case for SSD?

Found 29th Mar
Hi guys.

Sorry if it is a dumb question but I'm quite new to SSD discs and now thinking about one. Basically I am worried about all the data that I have on my WD elements SE hdd as I already lost half of data in the past in my laptop after it dropped from just 20cm. I was thinking about buying external SSD but heard that I can buy internal SSD and just buy a case for it. My question is if all ssd cases will fit any ssd disc? I am intending to buy either Sandisk plus ssd or samsung evo ssd.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I have done this with an old SSD when I increased the size. Beware of heat build up in an external SSD case. The larger the capacity, the hotter it gets. Make sue it is well ventilated and don't leave it plugged in.
I want to buy 250gb and connect it occasionally to see photos or watch a movie via tv.
But the question remains if I can use any case for any 2.5 ssd?
Why do you need a external SSD for? What's wrong with just a normal external i.e USB 3.0 2TB HDD to serve your purpose.
SSD are more durable and in case of a drop chances to lose the data are smaller - that's what I heard
My 2017 LG 4K smart TV will read an enclosed HDD (means it will also read a SSD). I don't know about your TV because I've no idea what you have.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 30th Mar
Sorry you got me wrong

The reason why I want to exchange my external hdd to an external ssd is security only. I already lost half of my data once as my laptop dropped from small height. Since then I don't trust hdd's. That's why I want to change to something which will keep my data safer and I heard that ssd's are way better option as they don't have any parts that are moving inside.
ciechanm1 h, 5 m ago

Sorry you got me wrong :)The reason why I want to exchange my external hdd …Sorry you got me wrong :)The reason why I want to exchange my external hdd to an external ssd is security only. I already lost half of my data once as my laptop dropped from small height. Since then I don't trust hdd's. That's why I want to change to something which will keep my data safer and I heard that ssd's are way better option as they don't have any parts that are moving inside.

While yes, They are less prone to failure due to physical damage , but not immune . A drop of 20cm still may damage an SSD.

Your best bet is to remember the first rule of valuable data.
Multiple copies in multiple locations
Since that accident I am following that rule.

Ok, I'll think if it's worth buying ssd.

Another question if you don't mind...

Recently I have recorded FullHD movie with my action cam. It goes smoothly on laptop, it goes smoothly on tv via hdmi cable from laptop but it is not smooth when I connect my hdd to the tv. What might be the reason of that? Too slow hdd?
Yeah. The only thing storage choice should be affecting is the time and cost to replace it. If it influences your data safety you need a better backup system. Buying an SSD for backup just means it'll cost you more when it fails (unless you're not backing up much data).

If your external drive is at risk of being knocked off then you're probably better off addressing the problem directly. Put up a shelf so it can be moved out of the way. Or if it's getting pulled by the cable you can get cables with magnetic tips that more easily disconnect on a jerk than normal plugs.

ciechanm2 h, 5 m ago

Since that accident I am following that rule.Ok, I'll think if it's worth …Since that accident I am following that rule.Ok, I'll think if it's worth buying ssd.Another question if you don't mind...Recently I have recorded FullHD movie with my action cam. It goes smoothly on laptop, it goes smoothly on tv via hdmi cable from laptop but it is not smooth when I connect my hdd to the tv. What might be the reason of that? Too slow hdd?

It's more likely to be a too slow TV, hard drives are far faster than most video requires. Does the laptop play it fine from the hard drive?
Yes, laptop plays it nicely, also TV plays it smoothly while connected from laptop via hdmi.

It doesn't play nice when video is played from hdd connected to tv or usb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants