Which Processor - Intel CORE I5-9600K 3.7 or AMD Ryzen 5 3600

Posted 13th Sep
The prices are almost exactly the same so I'm stuck on which to go for.
I'm building my own PC for photo editing.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
The Ryzen 5 is better for photo editing because it has better multi-core performance.
it is a 3% swing in Ryzen's favour on photo shop editing - so like the price not much in it. This review goes over some of the considerations:

pugetsystems.com/lab…529
Thanks for the help - much appreciated!
Bear in mind that Ryzen processor doesn't come with a GPU so you'll need to add that and a reasonable modern one is £60-70+

Also, unless you're overclocking the 9600 will have more or less identical performance to the 9600k and is slightly cheaper.
EndlessWaves13/09/2019 16:38

Bear in mind that Ryzen processor doesn't come with a GPU so you'll need …Bear in mind that Ryzen processor doesn't come with a GPU so you'll need to add that and a reasonable modern one is £60-70+Also, unless you're overclocking the 9600 will have more or less identical performance to the 9600k and is slightly cheaper.

Thanks for this. I was planning to get something like a GTX 1660 or Raydeon RX590. Is that overkill? How big a part would a GPU play in photo editing?
wolfytom0713/09/2019 17:04

Thanks for this. I was planning to get something like a GTX 1660 or …Thanks for this. I was planning to get something like a GTX 1660 or Raydeon RX590. Is that overkill? How big a part would a GPU play in photo editing?

Often none at all. Some of the higher end software makes some use of the GPU for filters and some other bits. It's worth looking into what your software of choice can take advantage of.
It's all Adobe - I'll take a look!
  • AMD: Radeon GPU with DirectX 12 or OpenGL 3.3 support.
  • Intel: Skylake or newer GPU with DirectX 12 support.
  • NVIDIA: GPU with DirectX 12 or OpenGL 3.3 support.
  • OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 10-capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality.
  • 1 GB Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM (4 GB recommended) for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.
wolfytom0713/09/2019 18:00

AMD: Radeon GPU with DirectX 12 or OpenGL 3.3 support.Intel: Skylake or …AMD: Radeon GPU with DirectX 12 or OpenGL 3.3 support.Intel: Skylake or newer GPU with DirectX 12 support.NVIDIA: GPU with DirectX 12 or OpenGL 3.3 support.OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 10-capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality.1 GB Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM (4 GB recommended) for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.

An RX 570 like this should be more than good enough, it's also been around £110 recently: cclonline.com/product/284907/11266-67-20G/Graphics-Cards/Sapphire-Radeon-RX-570-Pulse-4GB-Graphics-Card/VGA5547
Edited by: "m3racer123" 13th Sep
wolfytom0713/09/2019 18:00

AMD: Radeon GPU with DirectX 12 or OpenGL 3.3 support.Intel: Skylake or …AMD: Radeon GPU with DirectX 12 or OpenGL 3.3 support.Intel: Skylake or newer GPU with DirectX 12 support.NVIDIA: GPU with DirectX 12 or OpenGL 3.3 support.OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 10-capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality.1 GB Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM (4 GB recommended) for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.

Those sound like the system requirements for running the package which don't tell you much. You need to find out what operations use the GPU in the piece of Adobe software you're using, and ideally how much difference it makes.

For photoshop for example I believe the list of GPU accelerated effects is here, it's not very long:
helpx.adobe.com/pho…tml
EndlessWaves13/09/2019 20:14

Those sound like the system requirements for running the package which …Those sound like the system requirements for running the package which don't tell you much. You need to find out what operations use the GPU in the piece of Adobe software you're using, and ideally how much difference it makes. For photoshop for example I believe the list of GPU accelerated effects is here, it's not very long:https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

You're absolutely right. Here is a quote from Adobe...

Develop is the only module that currently has GPU acceleration whatsoever. This means that other functions and modules, such as Library, Export, and Quick Develop, do not use the GPU (performance should be the same for those functions regardless of whether you have GPU enabled or disabled in the prefs).

Summary:

1. GPU support is currently available in Develop only.

2. Most (but not all) Develop controls benefit from GPU acceleration.

3. Using the GPU involves some overhead (there's no free lunch). This may make some operations take longer, such as image-to-image switching or zooming to 1:1. Newer GPUs and computer systems minimize this overhead.

4. The GPU performance improvement in Develop is more noticeable on higher-resolution displays such as 4K. The bigger the display, the bigger the win.

5. Prefer newer GPUs (faster models within the last 3 years). Lightroom may technically work on older GPUs (4 to 5 years old) but likely will not benefit much. At least 1 GB of GPU memory. 2 GB is better.

6. We're currently investigating using GPUs and other technologies to improve performance in Develop and other areas of the app going forward.

======================

Basically, GPU support only affects results of the sliders in the Develop module. There is no evidence that shows it will improve preview rendering.
I might redirect funds from the GPU to the CPU and go to 32GB Ram - my main problem is with image-to-image switching or zooming to 1:1!
Edited by: "wolfytom07" 13th Sep
wolfytom0713/09/2019 17:18

This is the current plan - any advice welcome!AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz …This is the current plan - any advice welcome!AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor £179.68MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard £95.99Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory £75.59Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive £109.99Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card £193.99Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case £61.99Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply £64.97

I don’t see a cpu cooler there, you can get a half decent air cooler for £30...
I’ve gone for the 3600 this time, purely for the fact that I can upgrade it next year but keep the same motherboard.
Bargainhead14/09/2019 05:58

I don’t see a cpu cooler there, you can get a half decent air cooler for £ …I don’t see a cpu cooler there, you can get a half decent air cooler for £30...

I wasn't sure I needed one as the Ryzen has a Wraith built in? (I might be badly wrong here!)
wolfytom0714/09/2019 20:02

I wasn't sure I needed one as the Ryzen has a Wraith built in? (I might be …I wasn't sure I needed one as the Ryzen has a Wraith built in? (I might be badly wrong here!)

You are right I just looked it up....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants