Which PSU and RAM would you recommend?

Posted 22nd AprEdited by:"xenole"
Still playing around with components and whilst the motherboard is still under consideration (includes wifi or separate card), I'm looking at something along these lines (might change the GC to something faster later in the year (2070 Super?) when prices aren't so high, or if I find I'm playing games more than ever).

Example:

MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC AMD Motherboard £125
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU £169.97
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB Graphics Card £214.99
Therrmaltake V250 TG ARGB £69.98
Crucial Ballistix RGB 3200 MHz, DDR4, 16GB (8GB x2), CL16 Memory Kit, Black/Red £82.99

Total so far: £663

Not sure which PSU to go. 550W, 600W, 650W?
i.e. Corsair White, Bronze, Gold or EVGA, beQuiet etc.
Gold ones seem to hover around £80+

Memory wise, out of touch with this.
Been a few deals recently, but am I after something with the lowest numbers (15-16-16-30?). Out of touch with latencies etc. these days and not sure if all these Corsair 2x8GB sticks that keep appearing in suggestions on websites are any good.
Or something that appeared recently from Crucial:

Crucial Ballistix RGB BL2K8G32C16U4BL 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 16GB (8GB x2), CL16, Black

£82.99

Cases are just as bad. Every one seems to have pros and cons such as no airflow, something doesn't fits, you need to buy fans etc.

Cost wise, £750 for a nice enough gaming rig seems fine.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
In the first place I would rater go for a 650W, can't hurt for future upgrades.

Think I have this one corsair.com/uk/…-UK and had no problem for the last 6 years. Before I had an Enermax for 10 years in the PC and it never failed, only reason that I did not put it into the new PC, it wasn't modular.
Edited by: "Buckyball" 22nd Apr
Good PSUs start at about half that price unless they've risen steeply lately.

There are a lot of people hyping up top end PSUs that are a few percent more efficient. Clearly it makes total sense to spend £40 more on something that'll save you £10 over the life of the PC because it's better built and will last thirty years of continuous use.

There is an argument for serious overclockers to buy top end PSUs because they're trying to squeeze every last thing out of the hardware, for normal use I'd just snag whichever ~£40 model has had the best reviews lately. You certainly don't need to consider 92% efficiency a minimum, 88% is fine (gold and bronze respectively).

Desktop graphics card power consumption has unfortunately risen in recent years so they will sadly burn several hundred watts running games, but PSU capacity has risen too so you don't need a particularly large one. I think the 2070 super runs to 220-240W so if you're not overclocking them 500W if fine.

Case-wise I wouldn't worry too much about assembly niggles. They're annoying but ultimately you're spending very little time interacting with the insides.

Cooling can be a bigger concern, but you have to take it in context. Given your large motherboard you're likely looking at big tower cases and I'd expect any of them to handle the system you're describing. Any airflow concerns mentioned in reviews are likely to be in the context of a full system with lots of drives, expansion cards and top end hardware putting out several hundred watts of heat more than your system.

So I'd just buy whatever you like the look and feel of, it's unlikely to be a problem.
I would go for a 650W 80+ Gold unit from any of the reputable companies (e.g. Corsair, EVGA, BeQuiet, Seasonic), whichever is cheapest or most readily available.
As far as RAM goes, don't get too tied up in latency you really won't notice that much of a difference. Ryzen does love fast RAM and anything 3000Mhz or above is recommended. You can see a full list of what MSI have tested and what speeds you can expect here:

msi.com/Mot…-AC9
A PSU will easily outlast all the components in your machine and live to supply refresh builds.
The efficiency difference between bronze and gold isn’t huge. Though those marginal gains are backed by better PsU components and build quality.
If you can afford it a Gold 650W is a nice sweet spot. Then decide if you want modular cabling or not. Most Golds will be modular anyway and might only save £5-£10 anyway.
I’ve still got an old Antec PSU licking about and have been using mostly Corsair for years. Though do have a 1000W EVGA in a machine downstairs. It was a bargain in relation the the other 650W PSUs I was considering at the time.
Previous had a modular PSU. shame the main thick power lead tends to have so many connectors - always found the excess connectors hard to tuck away.

Case wise, not sure.
The RGB ones are growing on me but could do with something with some front airflow. Tried water cooling once and it leaked a bit even with tight as possible connectors - might be safer now but water + electrics don't mix!
Been looking at a mixture of NZXT 510, Fractal Design, Corsair etc. Don't want to pay loads but at the same time, don't want something so cheap that I have to buy more fans for as it only comes with one rear fan or something.
Better if I could see these in the flesh, so to speak, but not really possible at present.
If it's cheap, easy enough to change later if not suitable rather than being stuck with a £150 case that isn't right for me. Can add or change bits as required.

Got to be black though to match everything else in my room
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions