Which Quadcopter to get?

Posted 30th Apr 2017
Hi,

Got a Hubsan H107L which won't lift off, so given up and after something more reliable.

Anyone recommend any quadcopters which will worth out of the box and have a good range in back garden. I don't need a camera or anything on it, just something simple, stable and responsive,

Any ideas?
Community Updates
AskDrone
17 Comments
Try reducing the load of Semtex (_;)
Does it need to carry mobile phones over high security fences?
POWYSWALES

Does it need to carry mobile phones over high security fences? ;).

Not yet, i'm just starting out
All the budget ones are brushed motors which are only rated for low double figures of usage so unless you splash out you'll always have to replace motors, they're dirt cheap and it takes minutes to do anyway though.
one of the best starter drones is the syma x5c1 upgraded version,very easy to fly and if you fancy a bit of diy it can be modded.happy flying.
I'll be going on holiday (on a plane) I would prefer that no numpties had a drone (or similar) . What is the use of a drone ? OK smuggling drugs into prisons , taking pictures of your neighbours - anyone think of anything legal and useful you could do with one ? Bin it !
Edited by: "rogparki" 30th Apr 2017
rogparki

I'll be going on holiday (on a plane) I would prefer that no numpties had … I'll be going on holiday (on a plane) I would prefer that no numpties had a drone (or similar) . What is the use of a drone ? OK smuggling drugs into prisons , taking pictures of your neighbours - anyone think of anything legal and useful you could do with one ? Bin it !

What's the use of game consoles? It's no different, it's a hobby and at least it gets you off the sofa and outside.
dcx_badass

What's the use of game consoles? It's no different, it's a hobby and at … What's the use of game consoles? It's no different, it's a hobby and at least it gets you off the sofa and outside.

I tend to agree , but as far as I know gamers , though lacking social skills (ok you have on line "friends" you have never met in the real world -takes all sorts oO ) do not endanger other folks safety or privacy with their hobby . What is a legitimate use for a cheap drone- presumably it needs to carry a camera or drugs oO ? Beats me !

Edited by: "rogparki" 30th Apr 2017
rogparki

I tend to agree , but as far as I know gamers , though lacking social … I tend to agree , but as far as I know gamers , though lacking social skills do not endanger other folks safety or privacy with their hobby . What is a legitimate use for a cheap drone- presumably it needs to carry a camera or drugs oO ? Beats me !

There have definitely been cases of violence caused by video games (although no where near as much as the media makes out). RC Models have been a hobby for a very very long time, is this an opinion you've had for 30+ years or is it just based on the actions of a few and what the media tells you? Also 90% of the claimed near misses with planes aren't drones, it's generally something like a plastic bag. Unless you think a plane travelling at 250+ miles an hour can correctly identify something the size of a football, try do it on a motorway when you're doing a quarter of the speed in something a lot less complex than a plane, it's not possible.
dcx_badass

There have definitely been cases of violence caused by video games … There have definitely been cases of violence caused by video games (although no where near as much as the media makes out). RC Models have been a hobby for a very very long time, is this an opinion you've had for 30+ years or is it just based on the actions of a few and what the media tells you? Also 90% of the claimed near misses with planes aren't drones, it's generally something like a plastic bag. Unless you think a plane travelling at 250+ miles an hour can correctly identify something the size of a football, try do it on a motorway when you're doing a quarter of the speed in something a lot less complex than a plane, it's not possible.

Maybe - but what's the point of a drone in the hands of a non criminal non voyeur amateur ? Must be some reason (they sell loads ) but sorry I don't get it .
rogparki

Maybe - but what's the point of a drone in the hands of a non criminal … Maybe - but what's the point of a drone in the hands of a non criminal non voyeur amateur ? Must be some reason (they sell loads ) but sorry I don't get it .

You're not going to get it as you're clearly not prepared to think outside a media fed bubble. The fact you keep referring to 'voyeur' as a use shows this. Have you ever actually flown/seen a drone, they are incredibly loud, have very limited battery and even on one costing thousands, you're not going to be making much out in a 'voyeur' sense unless you're within metres, but then I refer you back to the insanely loud noise they make. Basically it isn't possible, that's ignoring that you're doing 20-80mph at the same time, good luck with that.

Especially when you can get cameras for less with much better quality and an 83x zoom.
youtube.com/wat…MmI

30743732-n7b7G

As for the prison thing, it's been incredibly unsuccessful as a delivery method, nearly all the odd few attempts and crashed and failed, but hey it makes good clickbait articles.

Edited by: "dcx_badass" 1st May 2017
dcx_badass

You're not going to get it as you're clearly not prepared to think … You're not going to get it as you're clearly not prepared to think outside a media fed bubble. The fact you keep referring to 'voyeur' as a use shows this. Have you ever actually flown/seen a drone, they are incredibly loud, have very limited battery and even on one costing thousands, you're not going to be making much out in a 'voyeur' sense unless you're within metres, but then I refer you back to the insanely loud noise they make. Basically it isn't possible, that's ignoring that you're doing 20-80mph at the same time, good luck with that.Especially when you can get cameras for less with much better quality and an 83x zoom.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuC5JejmMmIAs for the prison thing, it's been incredibly unsuccessful as a delivery method, nearly all the odd few attempts and crashed and failed, but hey it makes good clickbait articles.

No, as I said never tried one , just don't get the attraction of them . By the way a well documented way of getting phones /drugs/fags etc into prisons and several confirmed reports (via collision avoidance Radar ) of drones forcing commercial airlines to take avoiding action . Not nice to have just a few kilos of plastic ,batteries etc down your engine oO
dcx_badass

You're not going to get it as you're clearly not prepared to think … You're not going to get it as you're clearly not prepared to think outside a media fed bubble. The fact you keep referring to 'voyeur' as a use shows this. Have you ever actually flown/seen a drone, they are incredibly loud, have very limited battery and even on one costing thousands, you're not going to be making much out in a 'voyeur' sense unless you're within metres, but then I refer you back to the insanely loud noise they make. Basically it isn't possible, that's ignoring that you're doing 20-80mph at the same time, good luck with that.Especially when you can get cameras for less with much better quality and an 83x zoom.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuC5JejmMmIAs for the prison thing, it's been incredibly unsuccessful as a delivery method, nearly all the odd few attempts and crashed and failed, but hey it makes good clickbait articles.

You've been here long enough to know you shouldn't have gotten baited into this argument in the first place.
Error440

You've been here long enough to know you shouldn't have gotten baited … You've been here long enough to know you shouldn't have gotten baited into this argument in the first place.

? and I thought it was an intelligent discussion . Don't we have those on HUKD these days ?
rogparki

? and I thought it was an intelligent discussion . Don't we have those on … ? and I thought it was an intelligent discussion . Don't we have those on HUKD these days ?

Answering your own question:

rogparki

...as far as I know gamers , though lacking social skills (ok you have on … ...as far as I know gamers , though lacking social skills (ok you have on line "friends" you have never met in the real world -takes all sorts oO )...

Apparently not.
rogparki

? and I thought it was an intelligent discussion . Don't we have those … ? and I thought it was an intelligent discussion . Don't we have those on HUKD these days ?

rogparki

...as far as I know gamers , though lacking social skills (ok you have … ...as far as I know gamers , though lacking social skills (ok you have on line "friends" you have never met in the real world -takes all sorts oO )...

Yes ,you're right - Nuff said
Is the hubsan new?
Probably just one of the blades on the wrong motor.

Depends what your after really.
The tiny £10 ones are good fun indoors and small gardens.
If your doing any real range then your best with either fpv or GPS otherwise if it goes down it's not fun hunting them down.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions