Which radiator?

Found 29th Sep 2017
I don't have much knowledge of radiators. I need to put in a single panel radiator that is 800mm wide and was told by British Gas, that I probably need 450mm high as it is a small bathroom.

I went on the screwfix site and they don't have radiators that are 450mm high. I went to B&Q site and some others and no one seem to be selling 450mm high radiators? Has the British Gas engineer got mixed up with the height? He said that the radiator that he is quoting for is 800mm x 450mm.

On screwfix there is a big difference between the Kudox and Barlow 800mm x 400mm single radiators. Is the price differential justifiable? I don't know if I should spend more and buy the Barlow? Kudox is £27 whereas Barlow is £72?

Any other places I can buy radiators from that are good value and has good home delivery options as it will need to be delivered?
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Can you not possibly increase the size rather than reducing it as obviously the smaller the radiator the less heat outage it will produce. Personally I would buy a bigger radiator (especially for the bathroom) emitting more heat and then turn it down rather than having a smaller radiator on at full capacity every time.
How about Plumcentre or wickes?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 29th Sep 2017
Have you tried double checking British Gas' recommendation ?
Radiator size calculator
Toptrumpet7 m ago

Can you not possibly increase the size rather than reducing it as …Can you not possibly increase the size rather than reducing it as obviously the smaller the radiator the less heat outage it will produce. Personally I would buy a bigger radiator emitting more heat and then turn it down rather than having a smaller radiator on at full capacity every time.How about Plumcentre or wickes?

good point. i should have a look at the 800mm x 500mm rather than go less than 450mm recommended by British Gas. I was concerned 500mm was going to be too high and will hit the door handle. lol
If you're worried about the door handle, place one of those 'springy' door stop things on the skirting board toward the door hinges so the door doesn't open 90'. Alternatively increase the width to 900 and keep the height to 400 (if the btu output is the same).
Get one of these for £36 (delivered I think) - exact size you want (Product Code 45SC80G). plumbnation.co.uk/sit…rs/

Much better than Screwfix and Wickes radiators - has a round top rather than a ridge from a pressed joint.
Van197314 m ago

Get one of these for £36 (delivered I think) - exact size you want …Get one of these for £36 (delivered I think) - exact size you want (Product Code 45SC80G). https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/myson-premier-compact-single-panel-single-convector-radiators/Much better than Screwfix and Wickes radiators - has a round top rather than a ridge from a pressed joint.

thanks. so british gas wasn't wrong when the guy said 800mm x 450mm as they have that on the link.
Why aren't you installing a towel radiator instead ?
kester768 h, 19 m ago

Why should she? She wants a radiator to heat the room up, not to warm towels.
craigstephens2 h, 8 m ago

Why should she? She wants a radiator to heat the room up, not to warm …Why should she? She wants a radiator to heat the room up, not to warm towels.

Ok, guess no one told you that towel radiators can do both
kester7610 h, 48 m ago

we have a towel radiator at home and it looks really nice. i find however that it does not generate as much heat as the radiator, which we also have in the bathroom.

i did think about installing a towel radiator but don't think this is necessary for this property as it would be extra cost, which i can not justify. it would also not be as efficient at generating heat as a standard radiator.
Stelrad radiators do a 450mm high and are reasonable quality. If you wanted to be sure if will heat your room up, go for p+ which is slightly thicker but has an extra panel.
mutley132 m ago

we have a towel radiator at home and it looks really nice. i find however …we have a towel radiator at home and it looks really nice. i find however that it does not generate as much heat as the radiator, which we also have in the bathroom.i did think about installing a towel radiator but don't think this is necessary for this property as it would be extra cost, which i can not justify. it would also not be as efficient at generating heat as a standard radiator.

Your towel rad should be giving off more heat than a standard rad. Ours get very hot but I guess it depends on your system.
kester763 m ago

Your towel rad should be giving off more heat than a standard rad. Ours …Your towel rad should be giving off more heat than a standard rad. Ours get very hot but I guess it depends on your system.

it certainly gets very hot but when i stand next to it, it doesn't seem as hot as when i stand next to the standard radiator in the bathroom, which is only a small single radiator.

i am particularly sensitive to heat so i can tell the difference between the heat output even if only a small difference. i can stand next to the towel radiator but i can not stay next to the standard radiator because of my sensitivity to the heat generated.

so even though the towel radiator is extremely hot to the touch, even more so than the standard radiator, the heat in the surrounding area is not as extreme as that in the surrounding area of the standard radiator.
mutley142 m ago

it certainly gets very hot but when i stand next to it, it doesn't seem as …it certainly gets very hot but when i stand next to it, it doesn't seem as hot as when i stand next to the standard radiator in the bathroom, which is only a small single radiator.i am particularly sensitive to heat so i can tell the difference between the heat output even if only a small difference. i can stand next to the towel radiator but i can not stay next to the standard radiator because of my sensitivity to the heat generated.so even though the towel radiator is extremely hot to the touch, even more so than the standard radiator, the heat in the surrounding area is not as extreme as that in the surrounding area of the standard radiator.

Weird, I've got full size towel radiators in my ensuite, bathroom and kitchen and haven't had any issues with lack of heat but that's could be due to triple glazing and the rooms not being that big.
I agree with you there about towel radiators not giving out as much heat as a panelled radiator. Towel radiators do look better but they are a nightmare to dust each week. Go for the panelled radiator and just get them to position it 1-2 cm away from the wall so that you can at least put a towel over it to warm it up a bit.
I had large silver chrome coiled spring look towel radiator in my en suite, however it looked fantastic but did not generate the required heat and was impractical to warm any towels because if its shape.
kester761 h, 59 m ago

Ok, guess no one told you that towel radiators can do both

Ok, guess no one told you that they don't give out as much heat as an equally sized radiator. And as size is the issue here......
mutley11 h, 9 m ago

it certainly gets very hot but when i stand next to it, it doesn't seem as …it certainly gets very hot but when i stand next to it, it doesn't seem as hot as when i stand next to the standard radiator in the bathroom, which is only a small single radiator.i am particularly sensitive to heat so i can tell the difference between the heat output even if only a small difference. i can stand next to the towel radiator but i can not stay next to the standard radiator because of my sensitivity to the heat generated.so even though the towel radiator is extremely hot to the touch, even more so than the standard radiator, the heat in the surrounding area is not as extreme as that in the surrounding area of the standard radiator.

Just look for the BTU output mutley, you need a much larger towel rail for the same heat output
screwfix.com/p/f…59d
shadey1217 m ago

Just look for the BTU output mutley, you need a much larger towel rail for …Just look for the BTU output mutley, you need a much larger towel rail for the same heat output https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-flat-towel-radiator-chrome-1500-x-600mm-519w-1771btu/7759d#product_additional_details_container

Cheers shadey. Looks extraordinarily cheap and looks really nice. Didnt know about BTU, excellent. Now I can compare radiators and towel rails etc. I will look into installing a towel rail vs radiator
craigstephens48 m ago

Ok, guess no one told you that they don't give out as much heat as an …Ok, guess no one told you that they don't give out as much heat as an equally sized radiator. And as size is the issue here......

Yes I know they don't kick out as much heat but how much heat do you need for a small bathroom ? Also size isn't the matter as it was British gas that quoted the height for the amount of heat it kicks out and not that something bigger wouldn't fit. I would just buy a taller towel radiator and move it across so the door handle doesn't catch it or install a door stop.
mutley136 m ago

Cheers shadey. Looks extraordinarily cheap and looks really nice. Didnt …Cheers shadey. Looks extraordinarily cheap and looks really nice. Didnt know about BTU, excellent. Now I can compare radiators and towel rails etc. I will look into installing a towel rail vs radiator

Look at these 2
32136381.jpg32136381.jpg
Both give out about same heat, the towel rail is more than twice the size and price.
The plain one has a free TRV valve and lockshield.
Edited by: "shadey12" 30th Sep 2017
mutley129th Sep

good point. i should have a look at the 800mm x 500mm rather than go less …good point. i should have a look at the 800mm x 500mm rather than go less than 450mm recommended by British Gas. I was concerned 500mm was going to be too high and will hit the door handle. lol

Never heard of a tape measure?
deeky31 m ago

Never heard of a tape measure?

She'll probably buy one and take it back for a refund when she's finished with it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants