Which ram to buy?

Posted 7th Jan
Hi everyone
I'm looking to upgrade my laptop ram. I've got an alienware 8gb 2400 ddr4 stick with cl17 from hynix.
If I wanted to upgrade to 16gb can I just buy another single 8gb stick ( like the 2666 crucial ballistic ram with cl16). Should it just down clock automatically and work or will I need to change anything in the bios.

Or... Do I need to buy new matching 2x8gb ram.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Get another stick of DDR4 2400 at CEX for £20

Or note down the model number for your existing and search if there are matching stick on ebay
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 7th Jan
If you have 2 or more memory slots then yes; the best bet is to buy another 8gb stick which matches your existing stick. If you only have a single slot then buy a 16gb compatible stick to replace your 8gb
This one

39611562-PRaqi.jpg
It is my understanding that it needs to be matched pairs, so I would try and get another module the same as what you have or just buy a 16GB set.
Make sure you’ve got another slot. If you do, go for the cheaper option which is to buy another 8gb ram. If you only have 1 slot, then you’ll have to make do with a 16gb. & no, you don’t need to change anything in bios. It’ll recognise it automatically & will clock down.
Gormond07/01/2020 09:50

It is my understanding that it needs to be matched pairs, so I would try …It is my understanding that it needs to be matched pairs, so I would try and get another module the same as what you have or just buy a 16GB set.

Laptops and home desktops haven't required matched pairs since RDRAM on the Pentium 4.

As long as your DDR4-2666 stick has an SPD profile for DDR4-2400 then it'll clock down automatically. If not it'll clock down to whatever SPD profile they have in common (2133 or 1666).
Gormond07/01/2020 09:50

It is my understanding that it needs to be matched pairs, so I would try …It is my understanding that it needs to be matched pairs, so I would try and get another module the same as what you have or just buy a 16GB set.

You don't need matching pair for it to work.
Matching pair run dual channel which would work slightly faster, but it won't worth the extra cost when upgrading IMO as you probably won't notice the difference.
EndlessWaves07/01/2020 10:36

Laptops and home desktops haven't required matched pairs since RDRAM on …Laptops and home desktops haven't required matched pairs since RDRAM on the Pentium 4.As long as your DDR4-2666 stick has an SPD profile for DDR4-2400 then it'll clock down automatically. If not it'll clock down to whatever SPD profile they have in common (2133 or 1666).

Odd I have tried this on my PC and it didn't work at all, kept getting crashing/freezing when dual channel was enabled. Maybe I was just unlucky
oh great!
Thank you for the help
Dell have given me the option to upgrade with the same hynix 8gb 2400 stick for £75
I have two slots so one in use with 8gb
Im thinking to just use a stick of crucial or cosair vengence from amazon for 8gb. It should be around £30 i think. Was just worried that they wont recognise or crash.
EndlessWaves07/01/2020 10:36

Laptops and home desktops haven't required matched pairs since RDRAM on …Laptops and home desktops haven't required matched pairs since RDRAM on the Pentium 4.As long as your DDR4-2666 stick has an SPD profile for DDR4-2400 then it'll clock down automatically. If not it'll clock down to whatever SPD profile they have in common (2133 or 1666).

That's not true. You may (I'm not saying you will) or may not have compatibility issues with different brands of RAM i.e random freezing and shutdowns.
dasachmo07/01/2020 11:48

oh great! Thank you for the helpDell have given me the option to upgrade …oh great! Thank you for the helpDell have given me the option to upgrade with the same hynix 8gb 2400 stick for £75 I have two slots so one in use with 8gbIm thinking to just use a stick of crucial or cosair vengence from amazon for 8gb. It should be around £30 i think. Was just worried that they wont recognise or crash.

That is why I recommend used RAM for £20 from CEX.
If it not work, just take it back
RiverDragon807/01/2020 12:05

That's not true. You may (I'm not saying you will) or may not have …That's not true. You may (I'm not saying you will) or may not have compatibility issues with different brands of RAM i.e random freezing and shutdowns.

Thats what im worried about
Dell chat told me that the CL timings have to be the same as 'the differences in CAS can cause dell bios to misread or at times ignore different sticks'

The one i have now is 8gb 2400 ddr4 stick with cl17 from hynix.. im thinking of getting...
amazon.co.uk/gp/…h=1

The cl is 16 and its 2666 but hopefully should underclock
dasachmo07/01/2020 13:07

Thats what im worried aboutDell chat told me that the CL timings have to …Thats what im worried aboutDell chat told me that the CL timings have to be the same as 'the differences in CAS can cause dell bios to misread or at times ignore different sticks'The one i have now is 8gb 2400 ddr4 stick with cl17 from hynix.. im thinking of getting...https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XC5BVJV/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1The cl is 16 and its 2666 but hopefully should underclock

Just buy from Cex.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions