Which raspberry pi should I get?

Posted 5th Jun
Hi I am making an arcade machine with my son and am wondering what the best raspberry pi to get for emulators. I am a complete amateur at this so any help would be gratefully received. I have posted on retropie but there answers are a bit complicated for me.

I know the 3b+ pi is established for emulators and games but the newer pi4 is faster but not as established.

Does anyone have any idea what the best option is please?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
40986022-eMe2q.jpgHere's the one I built my nephew using a pi 3b+, when I build the next one I'll use a pi 4 4gb but the 3b+ works fine with the image that's on it.
13 Comments
Get the 4 with 4gb emulation works really good and progress on it is only going one way.
Dannyrobbo05/06/2020 14:08

Get the 4 with 4gb emulation works really good and progress on it is only …Get the 4 with 4gb emulation works really good and progress on it is only going one way.

Do you know if it will play all the games that the 3 can?
glen7605/06/2020 14:09

And more! The problem is that it was quite a big leap and people need time with it. The pi 3 is 4 years old I’d honestly buy a 4 and work with it RetroPie is out for it now. I haven’t came across anything that didn’t work, but what is it you are trying to play?
glen7605/06/2020 14:09

The 4 uses the same architecture, it’s just faster. So anything that works on the 3 will work on the 4. At most, some settings will need changing to make the most of its increased speed.
Dannyrobbo05/06/2020 14:21

And more! The problem is that it was quite a big leap and people need …And more! The problem is that it was quite a big leap and people need time with it. The pi 3 is 4 years old I’d honestly buy a 4 and work with it RetroPie is out for it now. I haven’t came across anything that didn’t work, but what is it you are trying to play?

Just the majority of older games, Mario, street fighter, double dragon etc
40986022-eMe2q.jpgHere's the one I built my nephew using a pi 3b+, when I build the next one I'll use a pi 4 4gb but the 3b+ works fine with the image that's on it.
bp241105/06/2020 14:31

[Image] Here's the one I built my nephew using a pi 3b+, when I build the …[Image] Here's the one I built my nephew using a pi 3b+, when I build the next one I'll use a pi 4 4gb but the 3b+ works fine with the image that's on it.

Love this.
bp241105/06/2020 14:31

[Image] Here's the one I built my nephew using a pi 3b+, when I build the …[Image] Here's the one I built my nephew using a pi 3b+, when I build the next one I'll use a pi 4 4gb but the 3b+ works fine with the image that's on it.

That’s awesome
glen7605/06/2020 14:38

Love this.

If that's the sort of thing your going for I'm happy send you my plans for it.
bp241105/06/2020 14:43

If that's the sort of thing your going for I'm happy send you my plans for …If that's the sort of thing your going for I'm happy send you my plans for it.

Yes I’d really appreciate that thank you.
I'll dig them out later and send them over.
bp241105/06/2020 14:57

I'll dig them out later and send them over.

Cheers mate very kind of you and it’s really appreciated
pi4, 4gb. the problem is the lack of images at the moment. the 3b+ has loads of amazing images. the 4 hardly any although dz is working on a 512gb one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants